[Known Issue] Game breaking bug: too much gold on account

I play the game every day and enjoy it a lot. I am also fine spending money on games, Indeed, my lifetime spend is many thousands of dollars. However, I won’t spend unless I feel I’m receiving sufficient value back, and an important part of this is getting the sense that I am seen as a valued customer. Sadly, GoW has not done well in this regard. As a result, I have severely limited my spending for as long as I have been playing. I still hope I will have more reason to open up my wallet, but this simply won’t happen until the studio shows a much more open, transparent attitude when communicating with players and dealing with our problems.

9 Likes

Actually, the number is (2^32 - 1) / 2. For some reason, they allow signed numbers, so the game shouldn’t freak out like that if you have a negative amount of gold. Positive numbers (and 0) would have a limit of about 4.3 billion.

Their approach to this whole issue is Absolutely shameful. Ignoring the bug while blaming and banning the player yet at the same time they are aware of the bug. If there is this type of cap for gold for sure there is for any other of resources we have. I am personally a hoarder and the bottom line is it can happen to any player at any time without even knowing what we have done wrong because they don’t even bother to inform the players of these caps. As a regular spender i find this type of conduct unacceptable and fill not spend anymore on a game that is not appreciating their customer base.

7 Likes

Technically, there must be a limit for every resource in the game. There is no such concept as an infinite value, that a computer program could store. All data storage is limited and if the numbers get large enough, there is a limit, where every number is “too big”. If you are programming something, you influence the limit for a certain variable by chosing its variable type. Knowing the variable type also tells you the limit amount. So, with respect to our problem here, someone decided the variable type for the amount of gold a player profile can store and by doing this, this “someone” decided also about the max amount of gold a profile can have.

I also want to use this occasion to AGAIN emphasize, what the purpose of this bug report is. I have the very strong suspicion, that the max amount of gold is set to a value, that is high, but not too high to reach for those, who really play a lot. My suspicion is, after reviewing all evidence I have, that the game breaks, once a player exceeds the max amount of gold. As the player does nothing wrong (he/she is just playing the game a lot) and suddenly can´t play the game anymore, I consider this a bug, and it is obviously a game breaking bug. I am reporting this bug and I want to clarify, if my suspicion is right.

@Bramble @Kafka @Jeto @OminousGMan AGAIN, I am pinging all of you. AGAIN, I kindly ask you to strictly focus on the question I am raising. Please only ask for the information for the max gold amount to the dev team and give this information to the player base. AGAIN, I have to emphasize, that I am not responsible for what other users are adding to this bug report and what they are discussing in the thread. PLEASE DO NOT react with the same dull “we lock this thread, cause we don´t discuss ban issues publicly”. The intention of my bug report was simple: report a bug. I am not interested in discussing any ban issues or whatsoever.

5 Likes

This won’t help and only get this ticket closed as resolved. The max amount of gold is so high that no player has reached it so far, and probably never will, it’s likely stored as signed long value (64 bits) on server side. The issue is that when the game client receives this data from the server, it puts it into a signed int value (32 bits), which breaks a bit past 2 billion.

Ok, I have to admit my interest in the technical details is not so big. I think, my question is more or less clear, I want to know the maximum gold amount an account can store before the game won´t start again. If this is hard coded in the class “player profile” (or whatever they call it) or it is a server issue, when the server is trying to read the data stored in the player profile seems to be splitting hairs to me…

However, you are right to give this advice. The support team has shown a surprisingly high amount off unwillingness to cooperate on this whole issue, so might well be, they want to take this easy way out. In this case, I´d have to create another bug report further specifying the information I am looking for :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

While I’m not involved/affected by this problematic situation, yet, because I’m not a complete hoarder and also don’t have the spare time to play “full time” (my problem: full time job) - it is a complete disgrace of a situation to be locked out of a game without own fault and everyone of “the small team” (as they often described themself in the past) that is involved in actively not handling this situation should be ashamed of their job-“accomplishments”.

While I also tend to ping the “creme de la creme” of forum mods I secretly not really expect any (short term) solutions out of it, not even a response tbh, because that’s just the way it goes - normally. I only do such pings so after all there’s no wiggle room for them to afterwards state “we diddun’t know, sorry mate, ehh”. During the weekend, which in Australia sometimes tends to be scheduled from Sunday-Saturday (+repeat) there’s nothing that can be expected out of the persons pinged for help - we have to be aware of that from recent problematic situations, don’t we? And to be fair, some of the tagged persons aren’t even “that active” in the forum - as we can see by recent/last logins, and keep in mind that is just “logins” - which exactly means “nothing”.
It is what it is. Very sad.

8 Likes

Trust me, it’s not. If someone were to look at the database, everything would be perfectly okay. If someone were to look at the server, everything would be perfectly okay. If someone were to look at the player account, everything would be perfectly okay. It’s just a really stupid coding error in the game client, and it can only be seen there. This needs the right person to look at the issue, the one responsible for the game client, otherwise it will just get “investigated” until hell freezes over.

10 Likes

They just don’t care, we lost our guild leader to this BS…

7 Likes

Just a remark on this: I´m not pinging them to get a faster response or a “short term solution”, as you called it. They have stubbornly closed multiple support tickets and a forum thread and always said, that they are not discussing ban appeals in public. I just hope, they read at least the posts, in which they are being tagged carefully and realize, that I am not wanting to raise a ban appeal, but that they have a bug in their code and I want to contribute to finding and solving it.

As to who I tag: I know, that Bramble, Kafka and Jeto all had their hands on this case during the past few days (meaning each one of them has reacted to at least one or closed at least one support ticket or forum thread linked to the issue). I added OminousGMan, as I had good experiences with how he handles issues in the past, but I have to admit, I myself have been more or less absent to the forums for quite a while, so I don´t know, if GMan is still around or not. That might be my fault, but tagging the other three in this case is from my point of view the right thing to do.

2 Likes

Your insight in the technical background seems to be very detailed and definitely supreme to mine :+1: If this present bug report should not help with the issue, I´d be glad if you open another one supporting it with the details and information I´m not able to provide.

2 Likes

Guild leader still banned/not able to play @Kafka do something

4 Likes

@Djimbalimbl we’ll get your account sorted out for you.

Usually when a player hits this gold cap it’s because they’ve been cheating however, I can see you’re not cheating.

This issue is near the top of the to fix list for the team right now. Before it wasn’t so much of a problem - we hadn’t received reports about it from legitimate players until recently - but as the game is getting older and players have had more time to save their gold to such high amounts we want to do something about it in case others save their gold like you.

I know it’s irrelevant to getting your issue solved but while we have you here could I ask why you’ve been saving your Gold past 2 Billion instead of spending it? I will pass on your answers to the designers as well.

EDIT:

Also just confirming what some people have already said in this thread, the limit is imposed by the way these numbers are stored with code, it’s not an arbitrary cap we’ve placed, but there are things we can do to get around this which we are working on.

Also also, please stop discussing bans on the forum. It is possible for some players to have this bug and not cheat, it is also possible for some players to cheat to get 2billion gold. This gold cap error and the cheating are both completely separate and each is being treated as such.

ie. the error message is caused by hitting the gold cap - how you hit the gold cap doesn’t matter, the gold cap is an issue in and of itself.

It has nothing to do with the hack detection, it’s just you’re more likely to hit this cap if you’ve been cheating than most players are to hit the cap legitimately - but it is perfectly possible to hit it legitimately it’s just far less likely as most players who play this much are sinking gold into ie. Legendary Tasks so rarely hit the cap - until recently as there’s faster ways to earn gold now and the game is almost 8(?) years old so everyone has had much more time to save.

Also just confirming the OP isn’t banned for cheating - they are being blocked by the error message though which isn’t a ban it’s the bug :frowning:

Hopefully this helps explain this generically - we’ll have to delete further posts about bans here so please don’t.

5 Likes

I think that question is better left to your design team to answer, who have done nothing to change Legendary Tasks despite at least 50 different resources being added to the game since it’s inception. Including new keys that can’t be found in legendary tasks.

I imagine their hoard of gold is like my hoard of keys. What’s the point in using them (it) ???

10 Likes

And I’ve realised there’s been some confusion, I see you were making this bug report but are not experiencing the issue yourself.

All good, the team are working on the issue already.

3 Likes

I’m going to lock this thread, because of all the ban talk and because no one in this thread has mentioned personally having the issue and leaving the discussion open is already leading more and more about bans and feedback about response times to issues (the latter of which is valid - but the bug report section is the wrong place for it.)

Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Update:
We’re looking at adding some stuff in 7.3 for this if it fits in the schedule. Not just for Gold but the other resource types as well. It will probably need to be included as part of future updates as well.

I believe less than 0.008% of monthly active players are affected and the ones we’ve seen were all cheating if I recall correctly.

I’ve asked the team for further information so I can follow up on it more to ensure no one close to the cap are playing legitimately - in which case we’ll give them a headsup so they can spend their gold before they hit the cap.

5 Likes