Is this moral?

You condescend to those with mental or physical disability and that is nothing short of abhorrent.

1 Like

You condescend those who have a difference in opinion than you and that is nothing short of abhorrent.

1 Like

I, for one, am curious how many takers there would be if ZG were priced at $500 straight up.

straw man
/ˌstrô ˈman/
noun

an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent’s real argument.

So, example:

“There should be limits to free speech.”
“Oh, so you’re a racist, then, because you don’t like people who talk at movie theaters?”
“What? No…that’s not…what are you even talking about?”
“Well, I’m right and you’re wrong because you’re a racist and I’m not, so my position that I should be able to say whatever I want wherever I want must be correct and unassailable.”
“…”

Straw men divert the topic of discussion. It’s not the same as using an illustrative analogy to extend the topic of discussion, as long as the analogy is apt rather than a tangent. In this thread, I think most of the comparisons have been made in good faith and are accurate, and anytime they’ve strayed people have stepped in to clarify or reign in their scope by tying things back to the OP.

So if you want a fallacy to bandy about, the slippery slope fits better—I don’t see people misrepresenting others so much as extending their line of reasoning (perhaps, at times, too far—hence, the slipperiness).

I’m also pretty dubious of the assertion that, “Well, others do it worse, so that excuses us.” It’s like saying, “Officer, I didn’t assault that man when I punched him in the face, because he’s lucky I didn’t stab him like a gang member would.”

All that said, of course: there are bigger problems in the world. This is not the hill to die on. But it really does bother me when there’s a straight-up denial that anything pertaining to this game’s business practices are even slightly problematic.

All that said: I am part of the problem because I continue to participate. I play the game, contribute to the forums, etc…

I’m not pretending to be blameless, here, or be entitled. I’m on record as saying I’d buy retroactive Deathknight armor if it were ever offered—I’m not above spending money on things I enjoy, and I do, generally, enjoy Gems.

I’d be watching the ads as a donation to the devs if they were available for Xbox.

6 Likes

Yeah like earlier I wanted to argue the used car salesman was a straw man through false equivalence, but when I thought it through I didn’t buy my own argument. The differences are really nuanced and I didn’t feel like spending my morning exploring that.

Still going to sit on the same few points. Nothing GoW sells is worth the asking price when compared to other games, and most of it is structured to prey on either ignorance or addictive tendencies. It’s not a straw man to argue you don’t think it’s wrong to prey on those things. It’s a bad opinion a couple of moves away from eugenics, but on-topic.

3 Likes

The offers for multiple Arcanes are worth the 200 gem price to a new player. I’ve bought several of the pet offers on my main account, and a few of the medal offers on my alt accounts. They have an excess amount off gems, and I don’t like doing the explores.

I don’t know who the intended purchaser of the Mythic Ingots is, or whether a company should be labeled immoral simply because they have a few bad offers. Several? Multiple? If they don’t play the game, or at least the portion that hands out more Ingots than I’ll ever use (unless they release a new use for Mythic ingots), then how would they know that particular deal isn’t worth it?

I am thankful that this and similar threads exist to help point out which were the worst deals, and which were ok.

1 Like

You’re wasting your time trying to educate this community. Just as I wasted my time with my post lol. All I see here is the blind arguing about whether it’s a broomstick or a mop handle being shoved up their… well you get it. Oh and dont forget the obligatory self defense comment from the devs which only serves as an attempt at saving face.

The sooner everyone realizes that this game is dying and the devs are the ones holding the knife, the better we will all be. I would be surprised if the servers arent shut down within a year.

So spend your money now! Dont miss out on these bargains! 20 gems and a useless troop for only $700!

That is why I focused my points on the daily deals using this ingot example.

The F2P genre is full of offenders that prey upon children or those with addiction habits. GoW is guilty in this themselves, especially in the past. I do not consider this specific feature as any potential hazard.

As for the fallacies mentioned:

These type of quotes are why I brought up the strawman argument. Den is looking at addiction a different way. I’m just gonna say that these reactions to his comments are over the line.

Especially the handrail comment. To me, comparing overpriced digital goods to foregoing infrastructure to protect people, especially those who cannot pay for it themselves, is a strawman argument as it is much easier to fight “we should have handrails on stairs and bridges” than “I believe that addiction can be overcome with willpower”.

Even though there was plenty of arguments and evidence for chemical imbalances being a huge factor of addiction. The human will is a powerful force and everyone deals with addiction in different ways, may try to deal with it or not, and can beat it differently. Saying you want poor people to die or at least be at risk is a strawman argument.

As for slippery slope, I’d say the thread rather got more heated. If anything, I don’t consider the daily deals a slippery slope as one could argue that gems could be used to purchase these items at a worse exchange rate.

Slippery slopes are a touchy subject in GoW. Raids and invasions have basically cemented a sigil based system for every new event. Chaos orbs brought a whole new level of rng hell and p2w. Soulforge made getting regular troops easier, but there was a cost to it.

To critics, sigils was the top of the slope, but to others it brought a breath of fresh air. I don’t think these daily offers are as much of a potential threat as sigils when they were introduced, but it’s approach to buying more specific items does give me hope for the better.

As I said earlier, I’m not denying this game has made some pretty awful changes, and this feature is perhaps a soggy bandaid for a missing leg, but if you want to complain about addiction in this game, there has to be an upheaval in the structure of it. That doesn’t make it ok, nor is it an excuse.

4 Likes

Good luck ever getting a company employee or contractor to ever admit that something they are doing is problematic.

For all we know, the Devs see the complaints about the ludicrous pricing or the addition of an event shop with every new feature and, on the inside, they actually agree with some of the sentiments…but how long do you think they’d be employed if they ever expressed those feelings publicly?

It’s entirely possible they choke a little every time they have to trot out the tired phrase “Gem value” because they know the backlash it will garner, but they represent the company in their communications with the players, which means they have to treat every announcement like it’s Great News™.

Some would ask, “Well, if they hate the product or think the game is predatory, why not quit?” I’m going to make the admittedly dangerous assumption that most of the working-age folks reading this understand that throwing away a paycheck isn’t something you do on a whim and leave it at that.

8 Likes

I don’t have that troop yet.
is it mythic?

2 Likes

some ninja you are. I saw you coming

btw., your sale packs for troops for 50$ seem like a lot to me, but I don’t spend much on mobile games.

it wasn’t priced at a good point?

“most of it is structured to prey on either ignorance or addictive tendencies.”
well, that’s pretty much every mobile game ever.
I read an article a while back that said the entire economy of the new internet generation is one that wants your attention [as opposed to money].
these games compete to sink your time.
how many of us play a mobile game for hours a day? that’s taking just as much advantage as any price points they play.
it’s not like I’m innocent there. I love playing computer games, even knowing that their goal is to make me sink as much time as possible into them.

:neutral_face:

Does that mean a single orb of ascension is valued more than an Imperial deed? :joy:

I know it’s a little apples-to-oranges, but. A single ascension or 1/4th of what’s needed for a major (if you’re Zuul hunting) seems less valuable than guaranteed kingdom level progression, or even an Anu medal (which I think is also 500ish?)

This is why the zuul price tag is ridiculous. The gem shop isn’t helpful either.

I’m conflicted as for a legendary troop, this is a bargain.

More kingdoms are getting their 3rd or 4th legendary that is obtained via event keys. If you just need to mythic the new legendary, or an old one, 700 gems is nothing compared to potentially hundreds of event keys.

In the soulforge, 5 extra copies of a legendary cost you enough resources for a mythic troop.

Even with zuul, I doubt I’m the only one who can say how many weeks or even months I’ve needed a blue orb. If your main drive is zuul, I’ve spent thousands of gems and plenty of hours for that goal.

It is apples to oranges, and while I may need an orange really bad right now, eventually, oranges will be just like a pear where I hate even getting more of those. An apple a day, makes the legendary ascend. Or you can hoard enough apples to summon another ancient one to wage your war on the darkstone plague doctors.

2 Likes

1/96th of a Zull, which puts Zull at 67,200 gems

1 Like

So without even considering other orbs needed to craft zuul, at $5 for 225 gems that would mean just shy of $1500 and 4,480 days or 12.25 years.

That console price tag is looking pretty good right now.

1 Like

@TheIdleOne was the first on Xbox to craft Zuul, and he got it by dominating the power orb giving leader boards… and no way was that cheap in time or gems :gem::gem::gem:

Fair estimate to say 10k a power orb at least?

On most of them, nope. Around the 3k range. A few were less. Had a few pricey ones though.

1 Like