[idea] Totems - new collectible item type

This idea is shamelessly stolen from a strategic game called Disciples III: reincarnation but i think it would fit perfectly into Gems of Wars.

Totems would be new collectible item type similar in function to banners (one totem selectable per team).
There can be up to two totems active at any given time (one equipped by your team and another one equipped by enemy team). If both players have equipped same kind of totem their effects stack.
Totems are passive battle mutators similar to creature traits, but unlike banners or traits their effects equally affect both you and your enemy.

Important Notice:
If the totem description says “all creatures” or “every creature” it means “both allied and enemy creatures”.
Totem effects always work on both players so they always harm or help both you and your enemy in equal way.

Few examples of hypothetical totems in GoW:

Totem of regeneration
At the beginning of each player’s turn every wounded creature recovers 1 life

Totem of miracles
At the beginning of first turn all creatures gain random enchantment (such as Enchant or Barrier)
Whenever any player summons a creature, that summoned creature also gains random enchantment

Totem of silent death
Whenever any creature casts a spell there is 20% chance to silence all creatures and summon Bonestorm

4 Likes

Interesting idea. I’d like to see more totem idea from you but i have nothing to disagree with with what you suggest. It would probably be a fun addition.

I like this concept! It needs some polish for Gems, but thanks for posting. (and to tone down the power of some of those examples).

Few more totem ideas:

Totem of thievery
Whenever you kill enemy creature you steal 10 gold from the gold collected by enemy player in current battle.
(if you lose a creature this work the other way around)

Totem of raging storms
Whenever a player summons storm create 6 gems of same type

This one is the best one so far.

1 Like

Totem of sourcery
Gain +1 mana on any mana gain.

Totem of summoning
Every summoned troop gets half of their mana

And last one
Totem of lone warrior
Last troop alive in a players team is cleansed and gains barrier.

Please note that you always need to look at situation when 2 players equips same totem.
For example when both players have equipped “Totem of raging storms” there will be 12 gems created after casting storm

You equip two different totems and the game starts with one from each player, with no duplicates totems.

You can have only one equipped totem at any given time.
But if your enemy has equipped same totem effects of both should stack.

Nice ideas, we’ve touched on some similar before.

A few things to think about (devs have posed similar concerns before):

• creating more complexity for players especially newer ones to deal with; may need to be gated to a higher level, or introduced slowly
  • how are they visible in the already cluttered battle screen? and how would that work on different devices, and especially on small mobile screens? they have to be visible, given their pervasive effect: it’s already a pain that the banner can’t be seen or looked up during battle
  • need to think how they are obtained, and how would that monetise - if people won’t spend in-game or real currency on it, it is far less likely to make it into the game
  • any such effects need managing carefully for balance and potentially broken combos

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the idea :smiley:

Similar ideas for pervasive new ‘rules’ or effects in the battle have also been suggested as:

• mini-games with (maybe even stronger) game-changing effects in place
  • weekly event modifiers
1 Like
  • creating more complexity for players especially newer ones to deal with; may need to be gated to a higher level, or introduced slowly
  • need to think how they are obtained, and how would that monetise - if people won’t spend in-game or real currency on it, it is far less likely to make it into the game

Totems could be obtained:

• as quest reward similar as War and Peace hero weapon
  • bought in shop like event weapons (for a glory during the event, for a money after event)
  • permanently available in shop for a diamonds or real money like a hero armor
  • how are they visible in the already cluttered battle screen? and how would that work on different devices, and especially on small mobile screens? they have to be visible, given their pervasive effect: it’s already a pain that the banner can’t be seen or looked up during battle

Same way as creature traits. Just add additional card on creature preview with totems affecting selected creature.
Here is my quick mock-up:

EDIT: Team banner could be shown as 3rd item on this mockup

2 Likes

Could also be obtained from crafting but as for the idea in general…

Obligatory ping for good ideas: @Nimhain @Saltypatra @Sirrian