Guild Wars - Sneak Peek VI

Well i’m not full of gems considering how i “need” some missing Mythics, so there will be never enough gems to spare in this sense for my case. But on the other hand i don’t make a case over how some people that were playing before me have more stuff than i do when i also have more stuff than people that started the game after me. This is as natural as it is with many other games.

The fairest solution believe would be having some brackets or tiers to scalate the costs of the sentinels for all the players as Oghunter suggested, but that fairness covers only the costs. The results and rewards are another story entirely as stronger/older guilds usually will have way more bonus/troops to keep the advantage.

1 Like

Of course, I agree. My pov isn’t “:sob: these people have more rewards than me oh nooo,” it’s more about how can they expand to hit more of the player-base as far as the costs go. Obviously their goal would to be to make as many sales as possible. If you make the cost a little more fair to all they could stand to make more money, and keep the player-base happy at the same time.

As I mentioned guild seals before. Something that people are more than willing to pay for if they so choose.

Those that have all these built up rewards earned them. No need to punish them for it.

Basically i’m saying maybe they could have come up with a way to give us the competition we want AND make money at the same time. But that would require a different bonus, material, etc. than gems.

4 Likes

eating cereal while reading this is better than watching tv

7 Likes

I wish I could be a fly on the wall during the dev chat sessions about monetizing the game. It’s tremendously far from my own area of expertise, but it’d be interesting to hear what the actual professionals think and do – especially comparing it against my own experience on the receiving end of those decisions.

2 Likes

That’s right. I know plenty of players who had been playing since close to the start. They have a lot of resources stockpiled because they hardly need to spend any gems or souls.

2 Likes

yep, I went to work and came back home to find what at first appeared to be an explosion and what an explosion it has been.

1 Like

There are the troops cards… and while i agree about creating a new form of currency for GW to make it unique i can also imagine that it wouldn’t make people happy at all. People are already worried over the fact that they won’t get the GW cards at Mythic on day one… imagine their grief over a currency that is highly slow to gather.

Also, we would again have more stuff that people who started later wouldn’t have at the same rate. Just pointing out that bothering with this issue in particular is hopeless for the sake of “have vs have not”…

3 Likes

I would argue against that pov and although I hate to use it again, take guild seals for instance. They’re controlled. You can only make 1500 a week (until GW battle rewards). So the only way you have more than I, is if you have saved for several weeks. But in the end whether you are saving or not, you end up with the same amount.

That’s one way to control a new currency and keep it level.

Everyone has a fair chance to get the same amount of rewards. We’re not talking end of week GW rewards btw, just something else worth spending money for. But really we’d be talking a bonus buff like already previewed. I just hate that it takes gems which are no longer a premium currency to me. Simply due to how absolutely abused they have been in the past and how few you get nowadays. Further topped off with how unpredictable the chests are.

2 Likes

It’s really not about fairness. People (and guilds) that work harder should get more. That’s just common sense. It also makes sense that people that have played for a long time have more resources. The Devs have made concerted efforts to eat away at those large resource caches but the players are smart too and are doing their best to prevent it.

In this specific case, those people with a lot more resources (specifically gems and troops) could exploit the “betting” system with nearly zero risk. That seems, on the surface at least, to run counter to the Sentinel idea in the first place. The idea seems to be for everyone to have some skin in the game.

2 Likes

[quote=“Ivar, post:231, topic:21506, full:true”]
People are already worried over the fact that they won’t get the GW cards at Mythic on day one… imagine their grief over a currency that is highly slow to gather. [/quote]

:+1:
I totally get where you coming from. The whole “I need my cards at Mythic as soon as they are released” thing is silly. Part of the fun of this game is accumulating stuff. How fun is it if you max out every new card you get the instant you get it?

As for limited currency, I tend to go with what HK posted - Guild Seals seem to be working well and I don’t mind that they’re limited.

Honestly, I think the best part of this game - the fact that it has zero daily gating (aka energy) like so many other F2P games - is also one of its biggest weaknesses. People can play as much as they want, which you have to admit is pretty rare in F2P, and that creates this accumulation curve that is hard to control.

4 Likes

I have over 20K gems in my stash and I wouldn’t spend 340 gems for bonuses. If I get unlucky chasing a mythic I could run through the whole thing.

1 Like

I imagine it’s very difficult.

Some of the most successful business models in F2P gaming are kind of “sneaky” for lack of a better word.

This group of Devs doesn’t strike me as the type but they have to have funds. Finding the balance between making enough money to make a great game and resorting to “money grab” tactics has to be VERY hard. I certainly don’t envy them on that.

That being said, they deserve to be recognized for the work they’ve done thus far. I used to have a policy of spending NOTHING on F2P games. I’ve spent considerably more than nothing on GoW, so they’re doing something right. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah it always surprises me that everyone is so understandable toward them making money. We’re generally not only okay with it, but we tell them ways we want to spend money.

In my experience when a company starts talking about making money, it can go badly. But this is the most transparent I’ve ever personally seen a company be. I think that’s why it’s so easy to help them, help us.

I don’t know, it’s generally like we handle things with more maturity here and understanding. They have something special.

-Insert gifs and memes here-

4 Likes

Sirrian addressed this concern before with:

He also posted what is supposed to be the rewards for all the GW tiers/top X:

No one did the math, but i can assume that any guild performing some decent coordination on the strategies for each day could plan on some average “Swiss army knife teams” for everyday usage like Gard Teams and such. Any place from rank 20 to 200 seems fairly good for a Top 100 guild that decides to master only one sentinel for the said teams (Armor for Gard as an example) and be able to get a fair amount of what is exclusive to the GW, the cards.

By the way @Sirrian, would it hurt to increase just an “itsy-bitsy” the amount of cards we can obtain by repeating the gems and gold rewards when splitting these tiers?

For example:

• Rank 51-100 = 80 Gems, 16 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 8,000 Gold

Being divided into:

• Rank 51-75 = 80 Gems, 18 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 8,000 Gold
  • Rank 76-100 = 80 Gems, 16 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 8,000 Gold

The gems return from the rank stays the same after all, but this slightly change provides another sign of good will towards the players. I know it adds some trouble as you remake the entire math behind the tiers but… At least it seems easier than most of our wanted changes and provides a perceptible sense of progression as people aim to ascend into one of those “split tiers”.

3 Likes

I know I and several others have literally said “do this and I will buy it”. For example, months ago I (and several others) told them I would pay $5 or so for weapon exclusives that I missed because they were released before I started playing.

I’ve purchased maybe 4 or 5 of them now. They did EXACTLY what we asked them to do. That’s why I have a lot of hope for eventually getting those last few mythics now. I think they’re already actively looking at tweaking the Path bundles and other things. They’re just busy with GW right now.

So there’s definitely plenty of reason to have hope.

8 Likes

I think part of it is that Sirrian has been around creating Puzzle Quest games for a long time now and has (rightfully, imho) garnered a lot of good will from those games. I myself have owned, played and enjoyed all the PQ games. That, combined with the points you and others have made about them not going for the easy money grab earns them even more good will and thus players see the Devs as working with the players to try to create something with value and most people don’t mind paying for things they perceive as valuable.

7 Likes

I made a similar statement way way up in this mega thread. By making the brackets closer to a particular guild (albeit with lesser rewards a la Ogunther idea # whatever it was), this would incentivize a rank 1000 guild to pay more to be tops in their class. Which would create more revenue for the devs. Would they get the top tier rewards for beating guilds within their vicinity? Nope. But they could get the best of their bracket through this sentinel program and putting money in. We would still have top guilds duking it out for the best rewards. No holds barred. No “oh poor me.”

But the lower guilds still have something to fight for. Something to hang their hat on and say “yep, this guild is headed in the right direction. Maybe with our concerted efforts, we could take on the next bracket with higher rewards.” and…you guessed it…put more premium currency, become more loyal to the game, become the next group of heavy hitters.

Meanwhile some groups may try their hand at the top bracket and go “whoa…we aren’t ready for this” and instead of phoning it in for the totality of GW, they’d move to a lower bracket (lower rewards…can’t stress that enough) and put in a concerted effort yet again. Everyone finds their own “comfort zone” in this case. With those who put in the most effort getting the most rewards.

With this current set up, I don’t see that happening. Many guilds will not participate simply because the rewards are the same for rank 1k or rank 10k. They’ll put in minimum effort, and therefore minimum money brought into the game.

I hope none of what I just articulated sounded like a “pity me” post. It’s completely health of the game and business related.

22 Likes

A++++++ post. Would like again!

4 Likes

Uh yeah, that pretty much sums up everything needed to be said. :smile::+1:

4 Likes

Well said, @Sththunder

4 Likes