Guild Wars - Sneak Peek I

I’m reserving judgment until we see more. But I’m glad it’s getting closer.

I’m an unabashed metal head but I’m still trying to figure out how you would headbang to something that doesn’t have a discernible rhythm, beat, riff, or melody?

1 Like

So, the preview looks intriguing for sure.

So, I’ll have to say I strongly disagree that the devs should only allow a few people to participate in the Guild Wars each week. Everyone in the guild should be able to participate. Part of the reason for Guild Wars is to build camaraderie through team work. That doesn’t work when most of the team is on the bench.

Also, I’m curious how rewards will work. Will there be a leaderboard like the PVP leaderboard? Or, will each guild win certain prizes after reaching set point markers?

1 Like

Everyone in the guild should BE ABLE to participate. They shouldn’t HAVE to participate.

Sure, guilds with higher participation should reap the commensurate rewards. But it shouldn’t preclude the less active guilds from participating at all.

The system can accommodate everybody without compromising anything.

I like some metal bands as Tool, a perfect circle, in flames. etc…
But this was just headache. It must only be meant for some of us,
that obviously can’t care much about lyrics or what is sung anyway…

Very important for me. Usually I dislike Guild Wars, but I’ll wait and see what comes around.

3 Likes

Yes. I do. But I read lyrics. Reading lyrics is essential in the more extreme genres if you wish to avoid NS bands

What is NS?

Nothing in the preview suggests that everyone in the guild has to participate. Obviously, 30 people participating will be much stronger than just 5 participating. And, that’s fair.

That said, after re-reading your earlier thread comment, I think I misunderstood your earlier point. My bad. :sweat_smile:

I’m wondering what type of reward they can put in that can’t be obtained elsewhere. Maybe a new type of chest? A crafting material for making troops of your choice? I don’t really see them adding new troops that are only from guild wars, but I suppose it is possible.

1 Like

Yeah, as I clarified, there is nothing in the preview that alludes to this. In fact, Sirrian went out of his way to say that they wanted it to be as rewarding as possible for everyone.

In the subsequent discussion however, the comment was made that the entire guild would participate (@Lyya made the comment and to be completely fair, she never insinuated it as mandatory either, it was a general statement).

I was just making the comment that I hope it is not required that the entire guild participate because that could create a barrier to entry for some, if not most, casual guilds.

That being said, my concern should in no way be construed that I think guilds with 30 participating members should be artificially limited in their rewards. Quite the opposite - people should be given rewards commensurate with the amount of time and effort they put in. Just make sure they’re not the ONLY people that are able to play Guild Wars.

1 Like

Guild Seals, maybe. :wink:

1 Like

Oooooh me likey. Nice new mode to use dragons on

1 Like

I’ll bite.
I have to respectfully disagree. That’s… just not very accurate.
And I’d like to provide you with both an example of how that is incorrect, and a reason of why it would not be correct.

An Example:
Part of the Guild rework late last year slowed down the extreme resource gain by the top 1% of players/guilds, while simultaneously giving the low-to-mid tier guilds a boost in the quality/quantity of things they could earn from tasks.

We shared the math & graphs with the community before the update, and they’ve proven to be pretty accurate.
We added legendary tasks into the mix to soften the blow at the top end just a little, but it’s a far cry from the rewards earned prior to the Guild rework. It’s turned out pretty well, and the number of newer players sticking with the game has increased quite sharply since then. I believe it’s because the ramp of the rewards is much more consistent as a player engages more with the game in early stages.

A Reason:
Ignoring 99% of your players to just give things to the core 1% simply wouldn’t be very smart from a business perspective, unless that 1% were the ones spending ALL the money, which is just NOT how F2P games work. In F2P games a LOT of that 1% core are free players, but they should still get what they work for imho.
Now I’ve been a professional game developer for 3 decades, and I’m NOT in the habit of doing anything as silly as ignoring 99% of my customers… it’s how I’ve stayed in business all this time! So believe me that we pay A LOT of attention to the data of what those 99% are doing - it’s one of the 3 things we base our decisions off of (DATA, FEEDBACK, & our own DESIGN skills). In other words, the actions of those 99% are given equal weight with the feedback from the core here in the forums.

Finally…

@mgla - it seems you may have had a bad experience with our support team. I’m very proud of the work they do, particularly the Herculean effort they provided during the server transition. But obviously they’re not infallible. If you would like to PM me about it, I’d be happy to review your support request with them and try and determine what went wrong for you. I can’t promise a different result, as I’m not aware of your exact issue, but I’m happy to take the time to look at it with them.

57 Likes

14 Likes

@Sirrian,

Since you’ve taken the time to post such a long response (and thank you by the way for doing it), can I take a minute to explain what my frustration has been and why I’ve been in most people’s eyes overly negative lately?

While the guild updates certainly slowed down resource accumulation of resources at the very top, it didn’t do anything to reverse the previous disparity. In fact, it seems to have stuck some of us who are:

1. part of a 2nd-tier active guild and
  2. personally arrived at the single-player end-game right after the guild changes

into a no-man’s land where we have nothing further to accumulate (because it’s been slowed down so much) but have none of the resources of our fellow end-gamers (because we missed out on the mana from Heaven phase of the game).

I would really sorely like to seem some additional measures take to accommodate this issue without penalizing anyone else in the process. Some things like pity timers for chest payouts (to help us target the 3 or 4 cards we don’t have yet) and improving slightly the Legendary task payouts (which doesn’t affect the guilds completing dozens of them but really helps those of us completing 2 or 3) would go a long way to restoring confidence in the direction of the game, at least for me it would.

2 Likes

@htismage, so this is very interesting to me. As I mentioned, we look a lot at big data, but real individual stories fall through the cracks sometimes when we do that.

So if I understand it correctly, you’re probably getting a reasonable amount of rewards from your guild, but just not sufficient rewards to target those troops you still need to advance at what feels like a reasonable rate?

In fact… and I’m inferring lots of stuff here, so feel free to clarify if I’m wrong… it may feel like the only way forward is to either jump ship to a top guild and increase your playtime, or to spend gobs of cash on the game? i.e. there is no reasonable path forward where the work you do feels like it gives sufficient reward?

Side Note: If that’s the case, it would be compounded by the constantly-increasing number of troops in the game…

Am I understanding the issue?

12 Likes

Interestingly enough, you nailed it almost 100%. I can confidently say you have a solid understanding of my personal issue. Thank you! :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m curious as to the design philosophy behind Mythics. It feels like there’s a one-week “possible” period when they’re first released, and then basically an infinite void of “impossible.” I think this contributes to the perception that, for people who really want a Mythic, they must attach themselves to a top-tier guild in order to even get the dice to roll those long odds before the window closes.

In other words, it feels like there’s a large gulf between Legendaries, that a player in a small guild has a reasonable shot at acquiring without much assistance, and Mythics, that become “trophies” for the hardcore players only.

To me, it’s just a matter of numbers, but the impression I get when reading other peoples’ grievances is that the introduction of Mythics is what really pushed the game from “guilds are encouraged” to “a high-perfornance guild is mandatory.” (At least for the collectors/completionists out there.)

17 Likes

So much this.

I know you guys can’t flood the game economy with free resources. However, the pool of troops is getting so large that targeting anything at endgame feels like you are swimming against a current. It would be great to have some sort of targeting ability for gold and glory chests. Perhaps it could be groupings based on release date or some other category.

5 Likes