GoW Team Build Compendium

Dear @Dddd,
i prefer behemoth as then i dont need to wonder when and which gem to transmute, also behemoth deals noticably higher damage so the whole fight is faster - more traitstones.

also with this new mythic i replaced first aziris with pharus-rah. gonna edit that entry with both modification suggestions

@Dddd 's suggestion and the pharus-rah one :slight_smile:

My offensive PvP team that I have been playing for a few months now. Getting bored with it but having trouble finding anything faster and reliable.

Soothsayer
Behemoth
Valkyrie
Queen Mab

All fully traited

This team can normally destroy any team in about 4 casts of Behemoth and/or Queen Mab. There is a definite chance for first turn kills though more often it will be turn 2-4 when it finishes off the opponent. The trickiest part is getting use to Soothsayer. He is almost always cast first turn after all 4+ matches are taken. Cast him to create a 4 match, or take as much red and yellow as possible, ideally casting him would create a 3 match of red or yellow. He is important for correcting bad boards and provides the most consistency in ensuring fast games. Tried modifying team with Mercy instead but found her to be less consistent.

Queen Mab should never be cast unless you have 13 Blues+ or it is the killing blow. Behemoth often does majority of the damage getting through impervious troops while being a great tank. It is often best to leave skulls for your opponent as Soothsayer is sacrificial after his first cast and Behemoth can often tank further skull hits thanks to his third trait. With Valkyrie removing colours from the board, you will be surprised with the number of extra turn cascades you will get from Soothsayer and Behemoth. Always cast Behemoth when he is full unless Queen Mab can be cast for an extra turn.

One final thing of note, work on getting all magic kingdoms to level 10 and 5 starred as this is what turns Behemoth into an unstoppable killing machine.

EDIT: @Illithid team added to OP list

It seems like the list is missing earlier game builds. Almost all of the teams have one or more legendaries in them.

@Studs I was considering adding an early team build section, if we felt there was a need.

If you or anybody has an EARLY BUILD (no legendaries but viable for all purpose abuse in early game) then label it as such and I will add an EARLY GAME section to the OP.

My knowledge of early game builds is not great because I lucked into KoS very early and beat that pony like a dead horse… :wink:

There is always the traditional:

Ol’ Faithful
Treant***
Alchemist
Valkyrie
Banshee

Red/Blue Banner i think?

Been a while since I used the team though.

EDIT: Not sure it really needs Treant’s traits, but they certainly help.

I love this team and am using it now and for the past 6 or so months. I use the +2 red banner to fill up Alchemist because once he’s full, he can pretty much start the chain to fill everyone else (usually, if the board cooperates). The Stoneskin trait for Treant is definitely useful.

EDIT- I added a link to a thread devoted to speed PvP teams.
EDIT- I have added a BEGINNER BUILD Section to the OP and @Ozball’s Ol’ Faithful has been added.

A note about posting a Beginner Build team, please follow the format, include your play instructions, but also make sure that your build does not include a Legendary. You may include a note about which Legendary would work well in place of X troop, but I want the teams in this Beginner Section to be completely attainable in early game and realistically accessible for new players.

Thank you! :wink:

Noble Sacrifice Engine

Sacrifice has been sitting out there as a guardian that sees little use. With the appearance of Princes Elspeth, empowered, we have a way to make Sacrifice quick, and gain a lot of Magic.

This engine is aimed at quick explores on Normal mode. The team can stall out, but it is designed gambit for very fast (Turn 1 or 2) explore mode kills.

Sacrifice (or Non-Purple AOE troop)
Hero (AOE Purple Weapon/Troop or Sacrifice if AOE troop in first slot. )
Sacrifice
Princes Elspeth*** (Must have all 3 traits.)

The team I use, for which I will explain the strategy is:
Sacrifice ***
Hero (Sorcerer) w/ Sun and Moon *** (Magic Link)
Sacrifice ***
Princes Elspeth

Ideal flow is:
Step 1: Use Elspeth on the Sacrifice in the 3rd slot, summons random knight. (If Sacrifice has 3rd trait, gain 4 attack + magic as both Virtue of Sacrifice Traits fire.)

2: Cast Sacrifice killing Princess Elspeth (Select Yellow, goal is to power sun and moon. Or select secondary color for your AOE weapon/Troop.) Gain Magic to all other allies, as well as Virtue of Sacrifice trigger.

2A: If Sacrifice charged cast again killing Knight summoned by Elspeth. Same affects as step 2.
3. Cast Hero or troop. (Often for 40+ damage to all.

I hope this team gives you another creative use for Princess Elspeth.

So, it’s been a while since this thread has seen a bump… so… BUMP!

We have a lot of new faces around the forums AND a lot of new troops added lately so it seemed appropriate.

If you have a great team that is not listed already, share it! Don’t forget to follow the format in the OP, full team details, banner, and play strategy, so that anybody can build and test your best creations!!

Thanks in advance for your Contributions to the Compendium!!

:wink:

absolutely. I really need quick update to soul/gold/wings farming teams as bombot team was sounded great till i found out most traits from support cards is bonus to heal insteads of armor.

Here’s a fun skull damage team for Sekhma:

Gorgotha (3 traits)
Giant Spider (2 traits)
Sekhma (no traits required but 3rd trait is always good)
Infernal King (no traits required)

Banner is up to you but I use Lion banner to help fill Gorgotha and GS.

How to play: fill Gorgotha or spider first depending on the starting board. Spider is usually quicker. If Gorgotha fills, cast him to fill the spider. Spider should fill Sekhma and/or IK, at which point the two can usually loop pretty well to create huge skull damage, plus targeted and split damage. Gorgotha can reset the board of you get stuck.

Weaknesses: frozen will stop you on your tracks until Gorgotha cleanses himself. Stone skin and gorgotha or stone hammer can be a pain but with Sekhma’s spell you can target them to significantly speed things up.

New explore teams:

Current favorite:

Queen of Thorns (Woodland Banner)

Elspeth ***
Rowanne
Aurai ***
Deathknight *** (Green weapon)

Start by casting Elspeth on DK. That should generate green mana for Rowanne and DM all enemies (that aren’t immune to it). From there, you have a few options… If Rowanne is ready to cast and able to kill everyone, don’t think twice–do it. If not, either match green to make her ready, or try to eat away at the enemies total life/armor… You can do that by matching skulls, casting Aurai’s spell if possible, or hoping DM takes an enemy out.
If you fill Elspeth again, you can safely cast Rowanne’s spell even if she won’t take everyone out, and then use Elspeth to sacrifice Aurai for more green gems.
So, your matching priority should be green > blue / yellow (and skulls, depending on the situation)

My previous explore team:

Explodation Team (Kraken Banner)

Elspeth ***
Bombot
Settite Warrior
Troglodyte ***

Similar to the other team. Start by casting Elspeth’s spell to sacrifice Troglodyte and generate browns for Bombot. Usually, Bombot takes out most troops. Use Settite Warrior to finish them off, or match skulls if that’s enough.
Matching priority: brown > green
Note: For me, Bombot rarely kills all troops with a single cast. There’s always at least one buffed troop that will survive, not to mention those annoying troops with Life Drain trait. On the other hand, some troops take way more damage than needed. It was based on that that I decided to replace a troop that deal damage to all enemies for a troop that deals split damage.

I have seen the posts. Update forthcoming when time permits.

Thanks for sharing everybody!! :grin:

Just posting my “Brainsless” all around team.

All around because it has a great (not perfect) win rate in PVP, Explo, farm, etc… in fact, with Dragon soul and Skullbeard, you also rack decent money and souls.

Brainless because it’s an exploder, so even if it’s not as fast as other teams, you can basically just press spell and not think. Not even look for matches . Just press any explosions that are ready. Perfect for Netflix-binge playing.

Team:
Gorgotha
Captain Skullbeard
The Dragon Soul
Siren (can be anything you like)
Undead Banner

So basically, you have 3 cheap cost exploders with different mana. So, once it starts… there is always one guy filled and ready to blow.

I use Siren last to kickstart it. You could bring anything really.

Order of casting is always TDS first, then Skullbeard, then Gorg.
Enjoy.

Nice - I’ve been using skull beard a bit more lately since a Guild mate had some nice GW builds with him for blue and green days.

My brainless exploder team is:

Gorgotha
Famine
Dragon Soul
Pharos Ra

Explosions plus big spike damage. Yes please!

Current favorite revamped after DM change, which made my DK rather useless on Explore:

Queen of Thorns (Woodland Banner)

Elspeth ***
Rowanne
Aurai ***
Aurai ***

The 2 Aurai will boost Rowanne’s total damage by 30, which makes for a huge difference in your ability to kill all enemies with one cast. You can predict Rowanne’s total damage by adding twice her armor to the spell base damage. Divide that total by 4 if you want to know what’s the average of the total HP (life+armor) enemies can have in order for them to be killed by a single spell cast.

Start by casting Elspeth on first Aurai (there’s a good chance that, if the summoned troop is green, its spell will be better than Aurai’s, but no need to focus on that, it’s just a detail). That should generate green mana for Rowanne, whose spell you can cast right away, unless you’re sure her spell won’t kill anyone. In that case, you can cast a damage spell with another character (the one you summoned, like – hopefully – a Settite Warrior, of the 2nd Aurai’s spell, which should be cast on the strongest enemy) before casting Rowanne’s spell.

If that doesn’t kill everyone (or if filling another troop other than Rowanne would prove much troublesome), try to match green > blue > yellow (or skulls, if there’s only one weak enemy left) in order to refill Rowanne, or refill Elspeth to sacrifice the other Aurai.

If Rowanne somehow gets hit hard by a spell, don’t hesitate to retreat right away.

Slight modification to the above, for exploring:

Crimson Bat (*** for Bloodsucking, which is nice to have, but not necessary)
Princess Elspeth ***
Penguin ***
Penguin ***

PE on Penguin. Fire Bat when charged. Takes down everything with 30 health or less in one shot.

I created this Compendium last November, so I think it’s time to bring it back to the forefront again! Let the necromancy begin!! In honor of that here is a new team featuring our latest Mythic, The WorldBreaker! Enjoy! :wink:

Team: World Explodes
Banner: Urska (+2 brown, +1 red, -1 purple)
Troops:
Elven Bard•••
Ragnagord•••
Azura•••
The WB•••

How to Play: The only trait that is truly necessary is Rags Second Trait, FAST. On your first turn find a red or brown 3-match a mana surge will fill Rag. Turn 2 explode the board with the color that has the best spread, yellow or green is ideal. This should fill Elven Bard. Cast her spell on WB, giving him 16 mana, enchanting him (if he’s not full already) And increasing his dmg +2! Next turn Break the World. From that point the Bard is used to quickly refill a WB that is close while boosting his dmg. And if the Elven Bard dies, Great! Now you have three exploders, covering All mana colors. Let the world burn and dominate with this fun team.

Still a bit of a newb, so apologies if this is all old hat. But I’m starting to get into Guild Wars a bit, still heavily farming souls to level my guys up, and I only own the one Mythic, so maybe some of these will be useful for people in a similar spot. I’m assuming that I should be listing what I consider the “minimum” trait levels for the list to work, as opposed to the optimum, or my current levels.

My Soul Farming Team:
Warlock*/Avina/Banshee/Kerberos*/Vampire’s Banner(purple/red)

2x Necromancy means I net about 200 souls Exploring on Warlord II. Straight-up damage list, with a little synergy where Banshee makes reds to charge up Avina. Kerberos is fully mana-blocked, but a) he has Necromancy, b) he’s a nice finisher if any of my others are getting picked off, and c) once you get his third trait he starts summoning wargs for you. Wargs when you’re on 80 souls really bat cleanup (50+ damage.)

Red Dwarf (my Guild Wars team for red days…):
Dwarven Slayer/Deep Borer/King Highforge/Runesmith/Orc’s Banner(red/brown)

No traits necessary to make it work, though pretty much all the traits are useful, and it’s not too hard to make the entire team Devour-proof. Looking forward to getting Highforge’s third trait to make the whole team fast. Play is simple: take mana in the order brown/blue/yellow/red, fire Highforge whenever he’s ready to do the real work, Deep Borer only if Highforge doesn’t have brown, and the Slayer to take out the keystone of an enemy list, preferably just before he dies anyways, or some horrible enemy ability goes off. The list gets Duke of Stone (+2A, +4HP), Dwarf General (+8HP), and Maester of Fire (+25 fire mastery). My Highforge currently does about 34 damage to each of two targets, which ain’t half-bad.