Goblins are overpowered

Too bad Green Goblin is Marvel because it ruins an awesome chance at a reference, but the Justice League (Justice/Mab/Valkyrie) DESTROYS goblins in Gems of War.

@Slypenslyde I don’t honestly find goblins so overpowered anymore, as they are mainly just annoying. HOWEVER, I would be very scared as to what a Mythic Goblin might be capable of doing to the meta and team builds.

I totally understand what’s being talked about. I just don’t think a couple of guys with a spreadsheet record of 1000 (or even 10000) battles is enough data for any kind of meaningful indicator.

Anyway, I guess we’re presuming the programmer even wants 50/50 outcome?

I doubt any programmer out of primary school would be writing/using “random number generator” code with memory. It’s also very well known that computers don’t do random very well.

Anyway, I totally agree, goblins irritate the hell out of me too :). But like many things, I’ll either figure out how to handle them or I won’t.

1 Like

I was still at tier 8 in PvP but had won 70 matches in a row over 2 weeks in RpVp.
Siren cast and the extra turn animation didn’t even pop up but the AI got an extra turn somehow. I was able to make 2 moves before the goblins had 12+ turns in a row to take down my divine team.
#brilliant.

1 Like

I’m going to start a new challenge:

1.) Start a battle with a goblin team, but don’t do anything yet.
2.) Go online and order a pizza, and the moment you hit “finish order”, complete your turn and let the goblins play.
3.) If the pizza man gets there before you receive a turn, pay him an extra $10.

5 Likes

Goblins are a cake walk to beat. There are countless teams that rip them to shreds.

Perhaps the thread should be named to “Goblins are Sadistic Procrastinators”, because from what I’m reading on the thread, people are saying goblins are annoying. Not hard to beat, just hard to sit through their super combos.

1 Like

I want all timers displayed in this fashion… think I’ll make it a Features Request.

2 Likes

I completely agree. There is one in particular (king something), does damage, generates gems and gets extra turn. Even when the gem generation doesn’t give a 4-5 match, his turn usually does. Completely overpowered as you have no means of stopping it because you never get another turn.

1 Like

Thread necromancy aside, Goblins have a lot of relevant counters today. There’s umpteen different ways to freeze them, and even more to not let them have another turn.

They aren’t completely accessible as the teams I have in mind use Zuul’goth or Rope Dart, but most high-end teams today make Goblins a little less likely to get their engine started than Life and Death.

1 Like

The issue of a slow-but-inevitable death-loop still exists, though. Rope Dart teams that loop on the converted color rather than skulls, only to kill with RD itself, or Life and Death if the empowered converter gets going, goblin teams without gobtruffle (or with a webbed gobtruffle), etc…

So I think at this point the feature request could be: “Give me an option to resolve all enemy actions instantaneously.” Like Civilization does for its movement and combat animations—each has an off-switch.

I’m sure this would lead to a lot of “WTF JUST HAPPENED!?! ThIS gAme ChEaTs, Hax!” threads, and the increased speed at which players could complete battles would probably “require” a resource adjustment, but if up-front the devs said they wouldn’t try to resolve “what happened” if the option were turned on and the turning the option on is what adjusted your reward payouts (they already have different multipliers baked in—see Explore—so this just needs to be made a little more robust to apply slightly differently and elsewhere), then I think the problem would basically disappear and not be replaced by a new one.

3 Likes

Actually goblins are more resistant to things then they ever have been.

Toadsqueezer is impervious.
Stringfiddler has silence and silence immunity
Ice Golbin freezes

The classic
Turnip
Squeezer
Fiddler
Gobtruffle

is now more difficult to deal with than the classic;

Nobend
Fizzbang
Goblin Rocket
Grapplepot

that had no ability to resist freeze or stuns and could not silence. Also the hero was not in the team. Now they get all the trippings the hero brings, plus those other skills.

In other words, they are more powerful, resilient and capable than previous.

I always thought the trade off for goblins was that they take a while to wind up, they had no immunities and could not inflict much in the way of counter measures. Now they can do that and do better damage with Turnip and Gobtruffle.

6 Likes

Great assessment. With Squeezer being Impervious and the possibility of 3 equipped Cedric Medals, the classic “freeze” approach to Goblin teams is not nearly as reliable as in the past. Additionally, you are absolutely on point with the start up speed. With Thief class and the correct Banner, Turnip can very easily be ready to roll in one turn - 12 looping turns later, your team is either completely dead, almost dead, or limping into the next turn with everyone left silenced by Fiddler!
Tons of fun!

3 Likes

Yeah I guess these days I haven’t noticed as much because I reflexively retreat once I feel the loop’s gone on “too long”. Sometimes “too long” is just 4 moves, but either way when I’m vs. a team like Goblins I have a really low :cow::poop: threshold and I’d rather get out fast haha.

3 Likes

Fortunately I don’t run into this a lot (no PVP outside GW), but when I do, I find it annoying to the point that I find myself musing about a GoW ‘sequel’ where you can only get 1 extra turn or none at all.

Necromancy is serioruly frowned upon without good reason. For good reason.