Gem Sale! (This Weekend!)

If I didn’t laugh I’d cry, hahaha!

“Hey players! We’re nerfing gems into oblivion by creating so many events that are mostly locked behind a gem paywall and guess what!? You guessed it; now we have a promotional event that we’re calling a sale, at rooftop prices that only whales will pay while the rest of you peasants stare on sullenly!”

Was I too cynical? O.o

10 Likes

You must be my brother. Greetings, brother!

3 Likes

On a further note, based on the point of equilibrium for the profit, demand is more important since they have no limit to the supply nor restrictions to make more other than adding the popup.

However, if anything, the overall prices should change for gems as a whole since If I wanted to challenge someone casually dumping 10000 gems to get 1st place on a single event leaderboard, I’d rather buy a new console instead.

Sales like these are :poop: because the gem value sucks and honestly I question the valuation as if an in-game economy is this out of whack, how could they possibly be economically ethical and/or successful in the real world?

However, since they continue to do it, whatever minimal costs they have to initiate such sales is probably recouped easily enough.

4 Likes

Something that interests me a lot more than anything else is Developer and Publisher silence on this issue whenever feedback that is critical or negative is brought up and is valid from a consumer point of view.

Perhaps if there were legitimate interaction between all parties and transparency with a view to improving the monetisation.

No rational person is going to look at the largest gem bundle in the shop and say; “Wow, that is going to help me so much!” Given that you end up with what, maybe 2000 during the current sale? 2000 Gems can disappear faster than your house after a divorce! For that matter, no rational person would look at anything other than 15 gems daily over 15 days and say it was a good investment.

Something needs to change and it isn’t the introduction of new currency systems (shards) that we need.

2 Likes

What would happen then if there are no new currencies and we need to spend gems for every new feature introduced? It would make gems scarcity even worse…
A new currency isn’t a bad thing as long as it can be acquired with normal gameplay, and shards can be acquired in daily delves and with free sigils from events, so there is no issue here, except for the random rates at which we acquire them ->PLUS<- the random rates at which we acquire things when using them.

On this i agree 100%.

2 Likes

I doubt it’ll ever happen.
The acknowledgement of any such discourse with the community would be tantamount to admitting there is a problem.

1 Like

Thank you, I know you hardly have these sales, but when you do they are very welcome.

II’m sorry you feel gems are worth much less than they are priced. I feel iPads are overpriced compared to other tablets, but Apple still hasn’t lowered the price for me no matter how much I tell them this…

Oh, and I love my iPad, so I guess a happy customer can’t really complain, but I would love to have gotten it for less.

Funny how the world works.

While you are definitely entitled to your opinion I can at least try to explain those examples.

An apple product has a powerful brand name to it. It makes itself branded to be used for fun and creative uses compared to the competition. There are some differences but to me, I would not use apple products over the competition mostly due to prices. I do agree they are overpriced but further detail would take too long and get cynical about people today.

As for this gem “”““sale””“” (one quotation wasn’t enough), based on the uses and comparable value to getting a mythic troop is absurd. Based on current odds, it takes roughly 1000 gem keys to get a mythic troop, so 9000 gems. The best case would be VIP to get a mythic for about 4500 gems. So for the measly price of over $100 (Let’s ignore the benefits of purchases for now), you can essentially double your chances and improve the quality of non mythic pulls. So with this sale, it would still take $200 for enough gems for a decent shot at one mythic. We know that you can get a mythic for $50. If you do the one time, you even get back 1350 gems. Based on mythic conversions, the gems outright suck, and that considers the best case purchase.

We can argue the use of gems so lets discuss zullgoth. Why? Well we need orbs of power to make him. We need gems to play those game modes and based on leaderboards, one orb of power is easily considered equal or more expensive to a mythic based on the gems uses (obviously bragging rights as well but generally my point still stands). Other than goth, you can use it for ascending legendaries, vault troops, etc. In terms of legendaries, it saves 4000 diamonds and some resources based on soulforge. Based on weekly gem to diamond conversion, it is 350 gems to net 200 diamonds plus some keys and stones if you buy it everyday. So if we assume the gems are used almost exclusively for the diamonds, then that 4000 or one mythic/legendary ascension would cost ya 7000 gems overall (for this purpose, I am not counting the dungeon rewards, just the conversion option). That doesn’t even consider the $5 purchases which for $35 net you a mere 450 diamonds a week and some other rewards that are not that great in the grand scheme of things. Even if only the sunday pack was bought, it would set you back over $130. This all does not count shards and other resources, but they both have a few conversion options and diamonds are obviously the focus of such packs.

TLDR: So in the hunt for quantifiable in game rewards, gems are overpriced as they are now.

5 Likes

Why anyone would spend $100 to get one mythic in a game with so any mythics is beyond me.

If you asked everyone to list their TOP mythic, arguably infernus would be TOP or near the TOP. Don’t know why my autocorrect is making my TOP all caps haha.

Anyway, even given how great infernus is, or any other mythic you care to replace him with, paying $100 for one card is borderline ludicrous.

This is just my opinion, of course.

5 Likes

Since i have GoW on mobile and collect every day 10-15x my tribute, i make easy 100+ gems/day and additional the gems trough daily tasks. No need for this fake sale and even if its coming a real sale, with vip 6, its enough for me and not 1$ more for the game that GoW is today…

1 Like

I get all my mythics with gem/glory or seal keys.

I don’t use gems, or money, to get mythics.

Most people I know do the daily dungeon, and use 50 gems on Sunday to get the dungeon pack. It might take them a bit of time, but they then can craft a mythic of their choosing.

As far as the Raid boss craft, lol, I have long since abandoned any hope of crafting that. And in that one instance, I can see people feeling that is a pay to craft troop. What people miss is, the people competing for a Power Orb, they will go to any lengths to get it, regardless of playtime or resources, or both.

Even if it were free to do an event, like PVP LB, there would always be someone willing to play however long it took to be #1.

A sale is a sale, no one needs to take advantage of it, but for someone that wants to, it’s a good thing because they get more for their money than when it is not for sale.

:money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Wonder how many sales they did this weekend and how many of them will be upset to be stuck with some sigls cause they can’t play

2 Likes

Why would I invest any more money??? I mean when something happens like losing delves because of your server issues then you all say sorry about your luck " OH you have screenshots as proof" Still sorry about your luck . Seriously the compensation is a slap in the face and does NOT even come close to actually compensating for the losses endured because of issues out of our control. Im sure everybody as lost delves today including myself yet you all cant or wont compensate us fairly. You all need to fix your issues before i invest 1 more penny in Gems of War.

3 Likes

I can’t help but feel my point was missed. I am not talking about playstyle, but about the gem value. While yes, they can be used for many things, a vast majority would use them for mythics or legendaries to fill a missing collection.

Ordinarily, I’d agree that if someone is willing to pay for it, then it is worth it to them. While not necessarily common, buyer’s remorse threads do come up and people are often miffed. As for my thoughts about the benefit of buying gems outside of the $5 daily pack or an avatar pack on sale, I do not think there is an alternate reality, altered timeline, or parallel dimension that has someone who could possibly care as little as I do about them. As I listed above, as have many before me, the price of a gem is far to high. They would have to multiply the gems netted by about 7 times for a $50 pack to be worth it IF you are VIP 5 or higher.

I frankly don’t care how you feel about zuul, how you get your mythics. As long as you are happy that’s great. You can play your way and that’s fine and that was not what I was arguing. My argument, is that any realistic use for gems in this game, has many, many cheaper and/or more efficient options and if you buy gems to get a new troop, some diamonds, a weapon, or even to get more sigils, you are misusing your money as it is used so much better elsewhere.

Once again, gem sales are meaningless as they are so overpriced that they are easily overpriced by 7 times in the hunt for a mythic in the best case scenario. If sigils are your poison, the threshold needed to place in a single tiered event is so astronomical I cant even make a joke about it, time is obviously a factor, but to pay for the right to spend that much time is equally extensive.

TLDR: You can play as you want, but full disclosure that if directly buying gems any way but the daily pack IS a waste of money as you can spend that money to much greater effect through other means.

2 Likes

There is some pretty hearty debate in this thread, and I do read all of your feedback.

There is no pressure to purchase, which is something we are passionate about at Gems of War. We also don’t run sales very often, and when we do, they almost always are like the one this weekend, with extra gems added to purchases.

There aren’t any plans to change this at this moment in time, but you never know what will happen in the future.

For consequent updates we will be looking into the shop store, so in the interest of purchases, we will be looking at what we are selling and evaluating how to move forward.

3 Likes

What about hiring someone who work the weekend to prevent server issues? This is happening very often and that really suck and doesn’t look professional

3 Likes

Are you going to personally pay their wages? :stuck_out_tongue: (in all seriousness, I’ve passed on the information and thread about the servers.)

3 Likes

Lol they are down again. Maybe if this gem sale dont work out then I can start you a gofundme page to collect money so you all can update the servers lol