[Forum issue] Forums images missing

Platform, device version and operating system:
Ancient 2010 MacBook Pro
Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera

Screenshot or image:
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 8.40.36 AM

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
The forums should display all the images they expect.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
This has been happening ever since the new dark theme was introduced. I reported it to Saltypatra but I guess she assumed I was being snarky.

Steps to make it happen again

1. Visit the forums.
3 Likes

I noticed this issue as well. Also, recently, maybe a day or two ago, I have noticed that the website uses too much time to load, way more than it’s supposed to fully load. You can see this if you check the blue circle on the web address bar. Something is definitely wrong, probably more than you pointed out already.

What happens if you hit f5?
It looks like the old forums not the new ones but they both have the same web address so I think hitting f5 and maybe clearing GoW out of your cookies/cache will solve this.

I’ve tried in Firefox and Chrome. I’ve tried in private mode in both (which has its own cache). I went into dev mode in both and used the “empty cache/hard reload” features.

The problem is:

What happens if we visit that URL?

https://gemsofwar.com/wp-content/themes/Orizon/css/blue_css/images/social_tleft.png

404: File not found.

It’s not there.

Also while we’re here, that’s a really bad use of alt text. The alt attribute really helps people who have to use screen readers due to disabilities, but the current text “alt_example” isn’t helping anyone.

4 Likes

EDIT: Spoke to a Dev who works with the forums: you’re using the old theme which we kept as an option for people who didn’t like the new theme, it’s not really supported any more but they’re aware of the image link issue. If you’re not adverse to it I’d suggest changing to the new theme at least for now until it’s fixed.

------------------ Original reply:

I’ll ask one of the team members who knows about the forums more than me but basically your forum doesn’t look like the current version which is odd

The new forums version launched with several anti-curmudgeon features, which prompted myself and others to keep the original version. I eventually gave in and switched, but I can certainly understand why others might be even more reluctant about it.

1 Like

The new forum theme has numerous issues that, like Grundulum says, don’t work well for people with limited vision. I’m not using it until I’m forced to do so because it hurts my eyes. It’s not my job to do the WCAG checks for your developers, you’re supposedly paying them to do things like that.

3 Likes