[Fixed] Superfluous placeholder text on forum

Platform, device version and operating system:
PC - Firefox web browser v123.0 (64-bit)

** Screenshot **

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
Expecting not to see placeholder text.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
When I view the forum web site via a PC.

Steps to make it happen again
View the forum web site via a PC.

Edited for browser spec.

There are certainly far bigger problems to fix, I know, but every little degradation in quality just helps to drag your product down.

In my browser, I do see broken thumbnail images above the non-text in those screenshots.
Those things are meant to be “social” media links, leading to Facebook, Twitter, Google and Youtube (plus one on each end with no hyperlink underneath).

1 Like

Ok, cool, so they are broken, either way.

On the plus side, they can save the trouble of fixing the links by simply accelerating the destruction of their own game.

On the positive side, this being a forum issue means, that for once it is something, that Kafka can actually work on himself instead of “communicating” it to the team.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

Please refresh the page again and check to see if this issue is still happening.

Hm, something definitely happened, but not quite what I would have wanted.
I’ve been switched over to the new interface, and don’t seem to find the option anymore to change it back…

(P.S.: I liked the old one better, which is why I still used it, so if you could tell me, how to reverse that…)

Second that, the new interface looks HORRIBLE on Firefox. Here’s a screenshot:

2024-02-27_15-23

Dark green controls on an even darker gray background. I could forgive it if there was a bright background image or something, but … seriously, was this never tested?

2 Likes

The search and menu icons next to your avatar on top are a worse offender. If you can find them in the first place.

[Edit:] I just noticed, that Bramble changed the title to [Fixed]. While this is certainly one way to put it, I can not agree with it. Removing something, that is slightly broken, so that users have to go with a different option (that is arguably worse), is not the same as repairing an issue.
If that is the choice we got, I’d wish this thread had not been opened in the first place.

P.P.S.: My eyes are hurting from those colours…

2 Likes

Well … at least the problem is not specific to Firefox, here’s MS Edge:

Yep, should have mentioned, that I am running on Opera, in case this is not clear from the screenshots.
I am pretty sure, Bramble simply deleted or hid the old layout. This dark grey thing here is indeed the default version, that newer users are tortured with since 2019(?). And I am quite sure, there used to be an option in the preferences to choose between them, that is no longer there.

Wow, I really didn’t like the white on black Forum setup because it made it diffcult to read, but this has been “fixed” by adding dark green text which is even more illegible!

Bravo Devs…!!! :roll_eyes:

The 2019 background is selectable again under preferences->interface. The colour scheme and a bunch of other elements (like the sticky header and scroll bar, or the expanded image on the main page) has not been reimplemented (yet), but it is far more readable nonetheless. Much easier contrast.

And the 2018 version is back in its old glory too. :slight_smile:

Well, this sure was a wild ride, neither the forum team nor us would have wanted. But I am glad, we’re back, where we started. Now let’s never talk about it again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[Edit:] It really feels instantly a whole lot better. One of those things, you only miss, once they are gone.

Hello :slight_smile:

As you guys may have noticed, we did a bit more tinkering with the themes.

You should be able to now choose between Gems of War 2018, updated Gems of War 2019.1 and the other “graceful” themes.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

1 Like

It worked, the icons and links are removed, but it sure was scary to suddenly be thrown out of the chosen design out of the blue. Sorry for overreacting (again). Maybe add a brief warning/info next time, your comment up there and the [fixed] marker really made it sound like you considered it done at that point.

To save others the 5-10 minutes of their lives trying to make the place they go to read about Gems of War… readable again. Here’s where you need to go:

3 Likes

Wait, wasn’t 2019.1 the one that had weird scrolling issues when replying to topics or something? (Which seems to be fixed now.)

Thanks! I probably would never have found it. Interface is obvious, but Theme wasn’t showing up as an option until I tried changing something else in the Interface optinos and reloaded the page.

1 Like

But still you only have white text on a dark background available, which, personally, I find difficult to read.

Dark Mode Can Improve Text Readability — But Not for Everyone