Devs, your Luck AI changes have ruined this game!

I think in reality what makes me mad the most is that in the past 2 years I have met a lot of cool people and have had fun playing this game on both console as well as pc, It bothers me that so many of the people I have played with have / are quitting because of changes made in the last 3 months. I used to look forward every week to what new troops I would get to use, and what teams people would come up with, counting the time between mythics as well as cities. Lately I feel that it has been resorting to damage control and how to contain certain troops instead of a feeling of skill and the possibility that you can beat any team. I understand that all games must make more money, and that everyone has a boss and has to make decisions that they personally do not want to make or may think are in the best interests of what they do but are simply told to, that is the way of business at times. I keep on playing because I want to see a bright light at the end of the tunnle, I want this game to be as great as it was, because when I think of why it was great is because of the community of individuals that once populated it and I would like to see people that passionate about GOW again.

5 Likes

Gems of War is a game of skill
start with a lottery squad and go uphill

7 Likes

I guess the silver lining is with all the people leaving it’ll be easier to get on the top 100 leader board again.

1 Like

I’m a console player, and as such have little patience for pc/mobile players whining about how things always were. AI doesn’t cheat, it’s lack of skill or bad luck.

1 Like

I’m gonna add my voice to the legions of complaints now.

In the past I’ve often felt that people complained too much about game changes, with calls to nerf any troop that beat them a few times and so on.

This is different. The update is broken in so many ways I don’t know where to begin. But beyond the bugs the devs seem to have no idea why people play their game. The crapiness of the update seems almost intentional, like the Devs are trolling us.

I just can’t figure it out. Does this company do any QA before releasing an update? How about any sort of play-testing at all? It seems like changes to the game are being designed by a bunch of bean counters with spreadsheets (“we calculate that with the new high-speed play that players will be making 20% more gold, so we’re lowering rewards 20%”) who’ve never actually played Gems of War, or possibly any computer game.

Simply put, this is the worst game update I’ve ever experienced (outside of an EA game). And the Devs should know that-- players are leaving at an accelerated rate, the reviews on Apple’s store for the new update are scathing & star ratings are now averaging less than 3. Certainly people have been complaining here!

I wonder how bad it would have to get before the company just reverted the PC/mobile game back to pre-update and went back to the drawing board. At this point I don’t think anything less extreme can remedy the situation.

What I’d really like more than anything else is an explanation from the Devs-- What were you thinking?

But all we’re likely to get is more of the old soft shoe from the forum Mods, I’m afraid. :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

In the Steam store, the Gems of War review score is now 53%. Before the 3.1 patch, the review score was in the mid-70’s.

6 Likes

It has dropped from 71% to 53% in a little over a week. I’ve been watching it more closely since I posted my own review.

12 Likes

Another quick fix while they do a rework of the AIManaCascade is to simply limit how many extra turns you can have…2 per turn? Would restore sanity to the game instantly.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for posting. I know we’ve lost 4, I think, plus two that went more hardcore.

1 Like

Sky drops have changed but I’ve seen no difference in RNG between player and ai. There is a much more matches dropping whether gems or skulls and many four ways. Virtually all exploders get extra turns. Everything charges faster in 3.1 with the sky drops, four surges, and clusters counting as multiple matches.

3 Likes

For me, it does not mean anything, if it always has been this way for consoles. It has always been another way, for mobile or PC, which many people liked, and were happy with. Very few people would like it if they played for years one game, and then, it became another game, with different flow and rules. It would be not as bad, if you still could download old versions, or not upgrade it, but you can’t…you upgrade it, and the game you were playing is now something new.

Almost all free to play games, as they are getting to a certain point of their life cycles, they will make it harder to earn resources, and adding resource sinks, to force players, they hope, to spend more. This expected, this normal. But I did not see before where the basic gameplay undergo a big change like this. It is unusual. I think because most devs would think twice of allowing players to pay for one thing, and then substitute out another thing. A change like this does seem to me more a sequel material than an upgrade material, like not enough the same game. YMMV…

3 Likes

What bothers me most is that someone can play for 2 years and then suddenly lose complete faith and jump ship within a week of an update releasing. Really makes zero sense to me. Have to assume they were already out and are just making a show of it. Otherwise I don’t see how the bad stuff in this update is any worse than previous updates with bad stuff in them, which they stuck it out for.

I am one console and I have a discord account. This sounds like a good idea.

Limit extra turn will result as the same then when everyone was happy about gem creator and been changed a week later and then everyone was crying cause the gems creator was useless.

1 Like

How about the developers play the actual game. If they are not, so they themselves can see the problems. I bet if there was real live multiplayer option, alot of AI complaints would be down. Is there a thread discussing why that can’t be done? There are so many people playing at the same time. Why not?

1 Like

Well, to be fair, it’s easy for me to understand that situation. If that person found all those other bad updates extremely irritating, this last update may just be the last straw for them. It isn’t that uncommon for people to get tired of dealing with what they perceive as repeated headaches.

8 Likes

I guess that’s fair. The straw that broke the camel’s back…

Still, the game’s had its ups and downs and this really doesn’t seem different to me, with the exception that the dev team has been super quiet about it. I know they’ve been less engaged of late, but this seems beyond the pale.

2 Likes

it will make more sense if you play the game after the update. it does not come almost immediately to me, but as days goes by, as people realize how the over friendly cascades can be exploited very easily. it can get frustrated. it works on both offense and defense fortunately. there is a noticeable change in defense meta and i tried the same team on offense. i can win within seconds. perhaps less than 10 seconds per battle. like i said it works both ways. i’m gonna enjoy it on offense.

As one of the above… hopefully?

Obviously the issues we’ve got right now are very real. I don’t have to list them. Hell I could add some. But if the last three years has made anything clear, its that the devs will deal with this. Its not magic though! They need some time to fix it. We can’t just expect them to roll out hot-fixes continuously to deal with all of this.

We can expect 3.2 to have fixes for Impervious, 4-matches getting surged, MAYBE the amount of sky-drops. Definitely the irritatingly powerful behavior that results in Kraken checking to devour a troop after damaging the last two and enabling a triple-kill with it (see Khorvash, every other troop that does this). A couple of other unique cases like Wisp that are simply far too powerful on paper to be allowed. Stuff like Famine and maybe even Psion, those will probably be okay once the game gets less cascade-y.

Aaaand if they don’t fix all this in the next major patch, that’s when we grab the torches and pitchforks for real.

It just sucks that we have to ride it out until then.

3 Likes

One of the two things isn’t like the other.

And so, since on consoles things were like this forever, we are supposed to be… what, karma-obliged to enjoy a badly calibrated, bug-ridded game? Exactly why?
Because you have been miserable two years without us?

If you were/are happy with this game, why your attitude is “You deserve to be as miserable as us?”. I don’t want to be as miserable as you, it would make me mean, for what I see.

1 Like