Whatever you do, don't improve the AI

Player Skill +/- RNG vs. AI skill +/- RNG
reduces to
Player Skill vs AI skill
solves to
Player probably wins

But if the defensive AI is good, it looks like this:
RNG vs RNG

That game will not be fun and the player base will shrink dramatically over time, as players become (even more) frustrated.

At least half the complaints about this game ALREADY are about randomness [I’m including chat, not just forum posts]–what will it look like when player skill has been neutralized or reduced?

This is a fun, casual match-3 game.

Losing multiple times in a row AND having little-to-no control over such outcomes will produce rage-quitting and rage-uninstalling, as well as general malaise.

You CAN eliminate all of the AI’s objectively-always-wrong moves (namely, matching unusable colors when it has other options) but do not improve the AI to the point where it remotely simulates true human play.

In terms of Turing test, the AI needs to fail with 10 out of 10 judges…it cannot fool a single judge.

8 Likes

Yeah I agree with you. Too strong of AI and the game will become “not fun”. What I would like to do though is stop seeing all of my troops mana full and the AI decides to pass a match-4 skull move, not cast a spell, and grab a match 3 green gems… That’s infuriating, and it actually makes me mad when the same thing happens even if it’s not my own defense team. It’s not “random”, it’s just dumb.

would be nice to see better AI on higher difficulty levels, now it is only scaling troops stats, thats poor.

but yeah, i dont see a reason to challenge farmers atm.

there are so much good ideas to implement in game and so low resources to work with… AI is not top priority, from my point of view

2 Likes

Seems an unnecessary thread, as I’m not sure we’ve had any signs the devs might consider improvements to the AI.

That said I completely agree. Making the AI harder might please a few players who want a challenge but I still far more likely to p&ss off a greater number of players who want to collect stuff and/or win vaguely relaxing puzzle games.

i dont mind if the ai gets smarter, like if they wait to cast mercy until they get extra turn or good # of matches. but they do definitly need to change the AI luck, there has been many times that a 10% chance to assassinate me activates twice in a row and mostly on the first turn. but while i have a 60% mana surge chance it takes 4 matches to get a mana surge, how are these %'s accurate?

i would like the ai difficulty be tied to the game difficulty so that it would follow with an appropriate reward too
(not the silly stat scalling difficulty thing, thats nonsense not difficulty => stat increase chellenges collection, ai would chellenge the skill - makes more sense)

and yes i agree the ai should not be very hard per default

As long as I still win quickly I don’t care what’s being done ;D
The AI spots 4 row gems way better than I do. I don’t often have the patience to wait for the helptip to show me possible rows, so I miss them way more often.