Death troop and Death Mark

Yeah I actually think death mark makes sense in this game. Cool mechanic.

But as Asha Kitty said, no more.

3 Likes

1 Like

Death Mark should be exactly that - “marked for death”. It’s a TARGET, not a targeted NUKE.

Well, the devs created the mechanic. I think they know what it should be. :laughing:

1 Like

Of course, I’m not talking necessarily about Gems of War, I’m talking about the context of the phrase “Death Mark”.

Especially since we already have HUNTER’S Mark, and it functions in a logical (aka not instant-death) fashion.

When I hear “marked for death” I think, “this thing is about to die.” In general, not just in GoW.

If someone in the military said target marked for death, what do you think is going to happen? They mark him and walk away with nothing happening to them?

And to your argument, death mark isn’t always a kill. In fact most of the time for me it doesn’t kill.

2 Likes

They shoot him. He dies from a subsequent action, not from being “marked”.

And IMO, it should never kill. It’s these fluky RNG insta-death mechanics that are dragging the game kicking and screaming into being a race to the red button instead of a strategy game.

1 Like

I’ve always felt that Death Mark was similar to the Doom spell from the Final Fantasy series, in which you get a counter above your character’s head and when it reaches 0 that character dies. You have a chance to cleanse it etc, but if you don’t, your character WILL die. I’ve just looked at Death Mark in the same way.

3 Likes

Well we already had a 2 turn waiting period and that apparently wasn’t good enough. Why they went to no turns instead of 1, I have no idea. But seeing half your team implode in 1 turn isn’t fun, it’s just dumb.

Yeah I feel 1 would work better than none.

I’m not suggesting that the mechanic doesn’t need revisiting or anything, I was just providing my interpretation on the meaning of “Death Mark”. Having it not kill would mean it would need another effect of some kind, maybe if they cast while under Death Mark they take the (Death Mark) caster’s magic stat as damage or something?

1 Like

1 turn would be better than 0 turns. I keep running into the problem - that as soon as it is applied - boom. Not even a single chance for a cleanse.

2 Likes

That’s actually a good idea.

1 Like

Im joining you guys in requesting devs to change deathmark to a counter rather than a rng that tends to blow your character(s) up right after applieing.

@Sirrian what do you think?

They aren’t going to change it. There’s Warded and Impervious. Make a counter team, that’s why there are 20 slots.

3 Likes

I am tired to see people crying every time 1 troop is giving them a little trouble. If you play mortal kombat and sub zero always killing you in 10 sec are you going to write to dev and ask them to change sub zero?

You got 3 opponent choice so pick one who don’t use death mark and your problem is resolved.

You ever heard of balancing a game?

I bet your team consists of deathmark spam and thats why you’re so defensive.

I’ve got news for you and Justin, VERY few troops have impervious and that should not be the answer to a clearly overpowered and sabotaging(that means irritative/angering) mechanic, even less troops have warded. Only one of these troops is relatively useful against deathmark teams as he actually has a decent attack (Behemoth).

Regardless, the whole point here is that death mark is not making the game more fun but more obnoxious, just as devour in its current stage is. It is an anti gameplay mechanic… it feels like a punishment or a cheap win depending on which side uses it, it doesnt promote deckbuilding at all, it doesnt promote a sense of fairness either as long as its rng, cards blowing up right after it being cast isnt rare, it happens way too often now, what do you think will happen the moment the new death mark card is released combined with death? Everyone will run it, then everyone will run 4x behemoth teams, and well be at a new “undesirable meta” causing people to fill up the forums begging devs to do something about it. I already forsee this because its the road of least resistance and im good at spotting those. This can be prevented.

Yeah i am using death mark and you know why im using it? Cause 95% of my
Opponent are using mana drain team.And why they are all using mana drain? cause they want to be a d*** and slowing everyone. So death mark is for me a good way to get rid of these boring and frustrating team.

2 Likes

Why are you insulting yourself? Haven’t you been running double Manticore for weeks?

1 Like

You should know i never do what everyone does. I never used the goblin team or the mantibones. :slight_smile: btw you can go in leaderboard and find psyconaz666 and you will see what is my def team for awhile

1 Like

So as reason for you not wanting deathmark nerfed to proper balance is because there are other balance issues that also need to be nerfed. Thanks for clearing that up… its part of the balancing issue and exactly why hardcounter enforcement is the direct way to narrowing gameplay untill everyone can only use a set few troops as everything else is inferior.

Lets face reality; Deathmark needs a revamp to have a counter (lets say 3 turns before it kills the troop so theres enough time to either cleanse it or it having 30% chance to be cleansed on its own, manadrain shouldnt be on low cost troops, impervious shouldnt block all status effects or not be put on strong troops like legendaries and mythics and devour shouldnt instakill but take off half the enemies stats and put them on the caster. /balancefixed.

1 Like