Arena troop selection

I think it would be better if we can pick troops from a screen like this.

21 Likes

This would be great. Sometimes there are good team combos but because the selection order is forced, I missed it. The other day I had to reroll ten times before getting a viable team.

2 Likes

This would be great if this was implemented.

2 Likes

Hear hear!

What good is recruiting a Mana Converter that eg changes all red gems to blue, when youā€™ve not got a blue troop yet and the last three you recruit could all be yellow or purpleā€¦ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think I agree.

I can imagine a developer possibly thinking that this would undermine the challenge of a typical drafting process in which you donā€™t know whatā€™s coming up and have to hedge your bets, but my counters would be:

• Other drafts typically involve more than four selections total, meaning you have more options or chances to fill in gaps or make up for a ā€˜wrongā€™ selection

• In other draft situations, I donā€™t think the options/Troops typically have the consistent potential to be as narrowly focused as many GoW Troops are designed. This compounds with the above issue.

• Rockwell gave a decent example ; others include the various Kingdom-focused troops (think ā€“ 12 selections, 34 possible Kingdoms), and Troops with conditional effects, e.g. ā€œā€¦ if the Enemy is ______ (a Daemon, Poisoned, etc.)ā€. I see Setauri in the OP ā€“ Bleed, for example, is a fairly niche effect.
  • Rewards need to be commensurate with the level of challenge, and currently they arenā€™t. If you want to keep it a blind draft, up the rewards. If you want to keep the rewards, allow visibility of all options.

• Iā€™m sure metrics show that the mode is being played, but Iā€™d argue many of those playing see it as an obligation rather than a ā€˜gameā€™, and while challenge can be good in a game, less so for obligations.

• Arena desperately needed the addition of various ā€˜modesā€™ with its rework. A simple design solution (but obviously not simple in having to carry it out) would be to have both a blind and non-blind option, with different rewards. Other modes in demand include with traits, and with different rarities.

6 Likes

Also there should be ā€œ1000 gold REROLLā€ option after the ā€œFree Rerollā€.
Itā€™s so annoying to click ā€œretireā€ + ā€œyesā€ + ā€œcontinueā€ + ā€œgamesā€ + ā€œarenaā€ every time. Especially on arena vault weekends.

5 Likes

500 gold reroll to keep it fair, as you get two chances with the 1000, after retiring. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Great suggestion!

1 Like

I thought, after 1000 gold there will be another free reroll.

1 Like

Interesting idea, but that does give an advantage to Advanced/ Endgame players who could just keep paying for Rerolls until they get offered a good teamā€¦

1 Like

There realistically just needs to be the current baby league (reminds me a lot of PokĆ©mon Stadium) with the lower entry fee, and then a higher reward version with a higher, possibly token-ised entry fee (say 21 a week, more withā€¦ Gems?).

In the latter, you just have to deal with the Troops you get, because you donā€™t want to waste your fee on say a reroll.

1,000 Gold is nothing or next-to- for anyone in the early mid-game or beyond, also (e.g. Kingdom upgrades quickly ramp up to 20-40k, and one roll of Arena isnā€™t really that big a dent/proportion, even if you wouldnā€™t go crazy with 1k rerolls).

4 Likes

I do it anyway though. Why not remove the annoying UI part of retiring and being tossed back to the world map?

4 Likes