All GW Defences set to Fire Bombs!?

Platform, device version and operating system:
Steam, Windows 7 x64

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
When I finally got into Guild Wars successfully, I was expecting to see all my GW Defence teams set to last month’s teams, just requiring a resort my colour. Instead, all my GW Defence teams were set to my Fire Bombs team! (see top of screenshot)

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
First time this has happened. The weird thing is, Fire Bombs is NOT my current PvP defence team (see bottom of screenshot), so I’ve no idea how the game has suddenly chosen this team. Nor is Fire Bombs the last team in my team list: it’s 4th last, with my current PvP Defence team one above it. The only thing I can think is that, when I created my current PvP Defence team and changed it set it (Fire Bombs was the previous Defence), I did Reorder some of my team, basically moving the new team to just below all my GW Defence teams.

hope i face you in gw this week…xD

4 Likes

This is normal. After every guild wars reset you have to reset all your teams.

On xbox it dosen’t work that way, the team are the same then last Gw, they are also the same order then they were.

Ex yellow,blue,red,purple,brown,green

When you come back the next gw, they are the same order but the color change

2 Likes

It’s just inconsistent. Some times it changes. Sometimes it doesn’t. Usually it at least changes to the actual defense you’re using in ranked PvP.
I believe the defenses are supposed to stay in place after they are set for one GW.
I urge the OP to resubmit this report after GW though and delete what they can from today’s report. If they try to fix it right now I fear they will break something else during GW.

@Starlite could you please try to do the same steps next GW and record what you’re doing this time?

I’ve tried my best to break the GW teams several times in the past by changing my PVP defense team and also my team order etc but haven’t been able to.

I can certainly try (to remember).

Personally, putting on my Testing hat, I’d be using a Profiler on the code and trying to see whence changes to GW teams can originate. Black Box testing seems too unreliable for this sort of error. But that’s just me – and I’ve never worked on a truly big coding project like a full game, so… :grainofsalt:

1 Like

@awryan - In my experience, when Guild Wars starts, the defence teams are all set to the positions they were in the previous Guild Wars. But because the day colours have changed, you have to reset them to match the new colour order.

In the past, I’ve seen bugs where elements of the teams are not displayed properly on the Defence tab, but the underlying teams have always been there.

The difference this time, which I’d never seen before, was the team assignments had actually been changed, and they’d all been changed to the same team. The rest of the detail was speculative debugging.

Of course, as soon as I was done gathering info for the bug report, I reset the correct teams to the correct days (no troops within each team had changed). So I was hardly a sitting target. :smiley:

Nonetheless, I always assume that one bug (or misbehaviour) could be hiding worse.

1 Like

I had actually the same issue, but I did not care, simply changed them to what I want them to be. I am on PC/mobile.

Just chimeing in to add that when gw started last week, all my defense teams were set to my actual pvp defense (firebomb/lusts team), so I had to reset them manually. First time it happened.

1 Like

Adding my experience…
Was checking defense performance on Saturday and noticed that my Sunday defense had changed to the same one I had on Friday.
Didn’t screen shot it or have any other documentation, but thought I would add it to the thread.

1 Like

I finally remembered to check this again. However, I don’t know if I’ve actually picked up anything useful or not. There were no issues with my Guild Wars teams – all appeared set as at the end of the previous GW. But there was an issue with my normal Defence Team.

All screenshots were taken on 3/6/19 from 17:12 to 17:14 AEST (just after weekly reset), though as it happens, GW hadn’t reset properly yet (final screenshot). I’ll load up the screenshots in sequence:

1. Existing PvP Defence Team, from previous week (standard PvP screen, Defenders tab)

2. Clicked Edit Teams…

3. Clicked on Team name to see all teams

4. Clicked Reorder Teams

5. Moved my “current” PvP defence team down to 4th-last position, just after my usual PvP Defence team

6. Clicked Stop Reordering Teams

7. Clicked top-left Return arrow. This shows the/a bug: My PvP Defence team is now set to the team that was in the position where my previous PvP Defence team was.

8. I wasn’t sure exactly what I’d done, so I went back in to Edit Teams and deliberately selected the team immediately above (which is just visible at the top in screenshots 3 and 4.

9. Attempted to enter Guild Wars, but it was only 14 minutes since reset, which is apparently not enough.

10. When I tried again to enter Guild Wars at 17:36 (22 mins later), my Guild Wars Defence teams were as I had left them, 3 weeks before (no screenshot needed).

What exactly is the bug?
Just want to emphasise that I did kind of mess up at step 7 because I didn’t actually select a team after I was done reordering. So what actually happened was that my PvP defence was set to team 9, I went into Edit Teams, reordered the teams by moving team 9 to position 27, then forgot to select a team (eg: the existing Defence team, now in position 27). The game now had a different team set to my Defence, but it was still the team in position 9.

HOWEVER. I just tried it again, and it appears to be both reproducible, and not dependent on how I “messed up” at step 7!

Here’s what I just did:

1. PvP Menu
  2. Defenders tab – current defend team is in slot 26
  3. Edit Teams…
  4. Reorder Teams
  5. Switch slots 26 and 27
  6. Stop Reordering Teams
  7. Exit Troops menu – defend team is now set to the new team in slot 26 (incorrectly)
  8. Edit Teams…
  9. Reorder Teams
  10. Switch slots 26 and 27 again
  11. Stop Reordering Teams
  12. Select the team in slot 26
  13. Exit Troops menu – defend team has not changed, and is in slot 27 (incorrectly)
  14. Click the team’s Banner pane
  15. Select the team in slot 26 – graphic on the right still shows Khorvash, from the team in slot 27
  16. Exit PvP menu and reenter; return to Defenders tab
  17. Defence team now correctly shows the team in slot 26, both the team and the graphic on the right
  18. I’ve had enough – I don’t get paid for this.

Technically, that’s three different bugs! All seemingly reproducible.

My conclusion, based on limited knowledge of the code, and limited testing, is that changing Defence team within the Troops Menu yields incorrect results once you return to the PvP menu (especially noticeable if you reorder your teams), and that this is completely reproducible. Second, changing the Defence team without entering the Troops Menu only partially works: at the very least the graphic on the right is not immediately updated.

Earlier observations noted that, sometimes when the graphic on the right doesn’t update, the team has not actually changed, either, and is still set to the team shown in the right-graphic. The only way to be sure is to Test Defence Team (exiting and reentering the PvP menu also works as confirmation).

How does this bug relate to GW?
The original bug report in this thread involved moving the normal PvP Defence Team, which then set all GW teams to the previous PvP Defence Team. While I was unable to reproduce this aspect, I think the primary reason was that GW technically hadn’t started yet. The game seems to have trouble tracking Defence teams when teams are reordered (I suspect it only bugs out when the reordering is done from the PvP Defenders tab, not the general Troops menu). That’s sufficiently similar a process and result to what I initially reported, that a link seems likely. (Hope that’s enough for you to find the key thread, OzBall.)

I’m Out
While I would love to help further on this, there is every chance I will forget next GW, just as I did last GW – had to set a phone reminder, in the end. What’s more, I can only try this sort of thing once a month. Your test platform is hopefully capable of simulating a GW start as often as you like. So I’m leaving this in your hands now.

2 Likes

Test platform!..good joke to start the day.

I choose to believe that our developers are not as cavalier as those of other “live service” games.

Even if skipping all testing and design evaluation does seem to have become a ubiquitous (and very, very stupid) practice amongst nearly all “live service” developers.

My GW defences were all set to my PvP defence this week. Was online over reset, but restarted the game immediately after going through the daily reward screens. Have a screenshot and can (hopefully/possibly?) provide more details if necessary!

1 Like

Pretty sure Ozball said (on-stream) that he was the one trying to find this/these bugs. Can only wish him luck.

1 Like

Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When I logged into the Guild Wars section today, all of my GW defence teams were set to the last team in my roster. Has this bug returned? Was it ever fixed? Will the game remember the teams I set during the week?

Lol… For the first time in months. My defenses actually saved. Maybe it depends on if you gain rank or lose rank GW wise?

1 Like

Good thought, but nope, that’s not it. We’ve been bouncing between brackets 1 and 2 for the last 4 GW.

I literally thought I heard OzBall say he’d fixed this. Maybe he only said he was working on it. Quite slowly, apparently.