5.1 Update

Teams can work on multiple things at once. This patch laid the foundation for changes in the future. If the next campaign introduced Books and they simply told us “You’ll use these later, but we wanted to put the resource in the game now” there would be an uproar: another currency but no indication what it’s for. Here it’s the other way around. We can see their plans. That should be good news.

Furthermore, it was probably trivial for them to add these “extensions” to the kingdoms. The system was already in place, all they did was extend the numbers. There isn’t any new tech involved aside from the Book currency.

The Vault change we knew was coming, because Vaults were one of the few games that still had difficulty levels, and it was infuriating having to explain to people that the difficulty didn’t affect the rewards. Now it does, and it tells you. That’s awesome!

As for you, the devs didn’t put out this update to have players be jerks to them. Salty responded with an amazing explanation, but she didn’t need to. Everything she said should have been obvious. If people are dissatisfied with this update, they should probably find a different game.

2 Likes

Nice. Just nice. People should agree with you or leave. You would be perfect dictator. :rofl:

1 Like

No, people should be nice or leave.

3 Likes

…and suddenly the thread takes a turn into philosophy! (Paradox of tolerance - Wikipedia)

—————————

I think it was AWRYAN who mentioned traitstones above, which I agree with completely. The game added a use for traitstones long before it added an easy source for the resource. The same thing with ingots. When they were initially added to the game (and the recipes were added in the Soulforge), it was virtually impossible to acquire legendary or mythic ingots: at a 100,000–>1 conversion rate from common to mythic, nobody was ever going to upgrade Dawnbringer. Of course, then Delves were added and the weapons became much easier to complete. (Now I spend all my common ingots upgrading to epic, since those are the ingots I have the hardest time acquiring!)

This is the same thing. We have a vision of what the game is going to offer. Salty even came here and told us how the devs were planning to offer us those resources. Subject to change, as always, but the devs have a plan, and anyone thinking the plan is to let players spend literal decades of resources needs to take a step back.

In a totally unrelated note, it is interesting that power levels mention almost 40 troops per kingdom, another decades-long goal at current rates. I suspect without any additional evidence that we will see another game mode akin to Delves that rapidly inflates a kingdom’s troop count. Maybe the rumored third map? I still hold out hope that it is heavily sci-fi flavored.

11 Likes

So I don’t have a lot of experience with the history of this game, or why it does things. As a matter of fact I don’t really follow a lot of game development practices, so maybe what I’m going to ask will sound naive, but I will ask it anyway.

What is the point of releasing something incomplete? Adding something to the game we won’t even be able to use to do anything with for potentially months. Is there some kind of design advantage I’m not aware of? Why not just release the kingdom power level updates and the resources to acquire them all at once?

It just seems odd to me that is all.

Also I hope you’re right lol. The deed system has been out for just shy of a year now. I’m sure I’ve missed a deed here and there but I’ve gained just a little over 30 imperials in the entire year. That’s barely enough to level 1 of the 34 kingdoms from 15 to 20.

1 Like

In general, it’s like laying the ground work, so instead of trying to develop all the things at once on a limited schedule, we can start paving the way earlier so that it’s slightly less of a task later.

Sometimes this is done solely on the back end where players don’t see things as we regularly just try to predict what we might want certain systems to be able to do in the future, sometimes it’s added in game where you can see it which also helps to point out the general direction to endgamers looking for their next objectives.

11 Likes

I’m not able to find the tracker. Where is he?

Is this not what you see?

1 Like

No, I see pet rescue and because I’m in a quite active guild it will be almost permanent during gnome weekend.

1 Like

Uh, sucks to be you?

Why exactly me? That’s the issue for anyone in the active guilds.
It’s not a good design.

1 Like

Not just you. It was a weak attempt at a joke. My own guild is not so active, so I will get plenty of time to stare at Cedric over the weekend. Having more pet rescues would be pretty sweet, but at least I will almost always know how close I am to the next bonus vault key.

Edit: I assume that the pet rescue panel stays in the top left position even after you complete the pet rescue’s eight battles? So you can’t push it out of the way by doing the battles?

5.1 update could at least allow that you don’t get same owned Gnomes if you already own 4 copies of them, each, and have them fully upgraded.

Of course, this was a suggestion from me, and was ignored.

Bad @Kafka! :grin:

1 Like

I will able to see Gnome tracker after all pet battles AND logout/login.
But pet battles cannot have gnomes so it’s counter-productive to do them in gnome weekend if you don’t need that pet.
And additional and unnecessary logout/login isn’t adding enjoyment either.
As I said, it’s not a good UI design.

2 Likes

GUI shortcomings aside, the reward does not need to be claimed (à la campaign task), so we shouldn’t be missing out or having to go through overhead clicks…
:relaxed: :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Its done in a lot of games and is fairly common now.

Another advantage for the devs, outside of what kafka said, is it also allows those end gamers who have to be 1 of the 1st to finish tasks, which I am guilty of a lot in this game, to rush ahead and get things done if they can and get ahead and that leg up over others.

Then the devs can slowly add in new ways to get the resources at a trickle rate and ramp it up as needed. This is the better method than dumping a bunch in and then having to remove part of it so that its at the desired rate.

3 Likes

And even with 25% more stats we can’t play Delves to a long extent to make good use of such bonus unless we are in a Delve weekend. That’s not to mention the huge investiment of gems required for such events.

By the time the devs realize we need to be able to play more Delves Daily I hope they increase the number of free attempts by 2 AND allow us to spend gems to purchase more attempts without needing an event.

Something like 15~20 gems for attempt/sigil. No leaderboard, no shops, no extras, no extra clicks in a new UI. We just use resources to be able to play more.

With 5 attempts each day a player could reach level 500 in 100 days or so assuming they don’t fail too much. Payng a few gems daily they could cut this time in half or more. That seems like a good use for the Hoard Bonus WHEN the player reach that level.

1 Like

It was not ignored, it was denied.

1 Like

It’s a free to play game. It cannot “end” like a pay to play game might be able to. The worst thing GoW could do for its own survival is “run out of content” and let people get bored.

Kingdom power levels give a slight competitive edge to people. Some small number of players will always do everything it takes to be at the top. If they reach it, they get dissatisfied very easily.

Some people want to be at that “top” but can’t quite play enough. It bugs them that there are players who have something they don’t. This is what keeps them coming back to the game, they desperately fear “falling behind” and won’t stop if there’s something to chase.

Those are the groups that spend money. The business model of F2P involves noting it’s easier to find 2 addicted gamblers who will spend $1000/month than it is to convince 100 people to spend $10/month. Since you can make $2k from the gamblers and only $1k from the regular people, the choice of customer is easy. If there isn’t a carrot for the gamblers to chase, you can’t use the stick to beat money out of their wallets.

I mean, think about it: suppose they waited until some % of the game already had everything maxed. Some people will get there 6-8 months faster than others. Would you stay in a game for most of a year knowing you’d achieved everything and new content might not be coming?

Do you also complain that Marvel movies tend to have a post-credits scene that hints at the next movie? In some cases, it’s an unfinished part of the next film. Why do they waste money on releasing something unfinished? It’s to keep your genitals aroused.

Some of these ideas are good-to-neutral. Some of them are detestable. Welcome to the mobile games market.

1 Like

Pretty excited (and impressed!) that the new update has arrived with new gnome mechanics immediately available in a gnome weekend!

Good move, devs — to extermination I go :partying_face:

3 Likes