5.1 Update

@Fourdottwoone has largely encapsulated my thoughts and frustrations regarding the kingdom level expansion as presented, many thanks to them for the detailed response to Salty’s post. To add a bit more:

While I appreciate Salty’s example of a mountain whose height and steepness will be adjusted as necessary, the analogy rings a bit hollow when it feels like what’s being presented to us is more of a sheer vertical wall, virtually impossible to climb.

So far all that’s been mentioned regarding books’ obtainability is that they will be included as campaign rewards. At 10 weeks per campaign with a week off in between there’s time in a year for just shy of 5 campaigns. Temporarily setting aside the important how of dispersal (Free, Elite, Elite+) let’s just envision that each campaign yields 6 books of a given color. Even if every campaign gave the same color, a totally impractical idea, it would take an entire year to accrue enough books via that method to max 1 kingdom, out of 34! If each campaign rotates its books’ color, just think of how long it might take, similar to how Tower of Doom’s forge scrolls are few and far between. If we want to go way out there, let’s even envision that each campaign doles out 6x of more than one color. Upgrading would still be heavily limited by jewels and especially legendary deeds, the latter of which people have rightfully been clamoring for more of for ages now.

I realize that I’m just tossing out hypotheticals, and have no better idea than anyone else here what the balance or proportion will be. But that’s why it’s so frustrating to see Salty basically say “we don’t discuss specifics anymore” and “it’s impossible to gauge what’s reasonable for any given player”. She cited ‘too many variables’ such as how many resources a player already has, how long they’ve been playing, and what are they focusing on with their resources. But that reframes the discussion to be a matter of player agency, whereas the inherent tension regarding deeds has always been that they are largely a time-gated resource dictated by the devs.

And to me, the inherent risk of taking a “we’ll adjust accordingly as things play out and we listen to feedback” is that too often in this game it seems like that’s an admirable sentiment but not one followed up on with great success. For example, Tower of Doom is now 10 weeks apart for any given color. It takes multiple full-clear runs to gather enough scrolls to max even one weapon, and there’s more doomed weapons than ever. The devs said that they would look into providing other ways to obtain forge scrolls and that tower weekends may occur, but like, why not have that plan more nailed down when you implement the change to begin with? And then why not announce that so people can manage their expectations better or even better yet, provide feedback? When something slips into the nebulous “TBD Pile” the results have not historically been encouraging, as was the case today with Salty delivering the unfortunate news to @Razzagor that a much-asked for adjustment from literally years ago is still nowhere on the horizon.

I don’t enjoy leaving negative feedback. I’m certainly not wont to complain endlessly about things large and small in forums. This is actually my first post here and I felt compelled to register and make it because the rollout of the last couple patches has been so baffling to me that I couldn’t not express feedback about it. 5.0 was the most empty major patch of any product I’ve ever partaken in, but that concern and others such as the impact of the Elite Pass/+ were largely covered in all the discussion here a month ago. Credit where credit’s due, 5.1 has appreciable bug and qol fixes, and the gnome/vault rework is very sensible; a hearty thank you for those.

Going forward I would just sincerely like to ask Salty to reconsider her stance on talking about specifics or heck, even vague intentional notions where changes to systems are concerned. If the aversion to that is due to people acting like jerks and engaging in bad-faith or ad-hominem attacks, why not wield that banhammer more vigorously so that the rest of us can continue on with earnest, if sometimes critical, feedback.

20 Likes

Whoo buddy. that’s exactly how I feel about this book of deeds update

1 Like

Just pretend the Kingdom levels 16+ and power levels 21+ don’t exist. Then nothing changes for you.

I find it comical how they’ve released an update and literally in one day people are screaming “this is impossible!” Alright. That’s okay. Before the patch, you couldn’t get past 15 and 19 anyway, so literally nothing has changed, stop whining about it.

8 Likes

hahahahhaha. sounds good. I’ll just ignore the new mountain in my backyard. Great scenery and adds to the value of the home. XD

2 Likes

Exactly why I think the best thing out of this update was the little improvement to the Campaign’s UI. But if everyone would do as you say and “stop whining” how can we expect things to be improved in any significant way?

It seems you are being too dismissive of others just for the sake of antagonizing anyone who DARES to express themselves about something you disagree with EVEN THOUGH they do so in a polite and measured way.

4 Likes

This update, 5.1, was nothing but improvements. It has paved the way for Kingdoms to advance further, something that wasn’t even there. A number of Kingdoms can reach level 19 in power. When they hit 20, people would have been asking “What’s next!? Where’s 20? Why haven’t you added it yet? I want more!”

Well, they gave us more. Now be patient. How come no one is talking about the fact that Level 17 and Level 18 increase Faction Hoard Stats, something people have been asking for an awful lot. Level 16 increases Mythstones, another thing people have been asking for (including myself!)

And giving out Vault Keys after you’ve killed a number of gnomes on vault weekends?

5.1 is an AMAZING update and somehow people have still found something bad in it.

7 Likes

@Saltypatra

Take for example one of the most hated weapon upgrades, like +7 Doom Blade 'Watery: Create a Blue Gem" that we want changed. What if we suggested a change that can be done with minimal effort, that isn’t over powered, and would get near unanimous fan support so there are no grumblings if changed. Then maybe we could ‘borrow’ some time from someone like Ozball to make a few simple fan wanted data changes.
Small easy change, big drop in complaints :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

What is important to you might not be as important to someone else like Auspex, and yet when you asked for Mythstones I don’t think he, or anyone else for that matter, told you to stop whining… So why you do that to other fellow players that want something else?

4 Likes

This thread/forum has more drama than a high school soap opera :sweat_smile:

Not bashing on anyone or any side in particular; there are arguments all around that I can see the logic in and agree with to some extent.

Just a friendly reminder that all of us are human, including the devs and including players we disagree with… While it’s easy to sit behind a screen and rip apart opposing arguments and people, let’s keep in mind that the most constructive feedback is formed by well-meaning, mature, and friendly statements. Hostility breeds hostility; putting hostility into a valid suggestion or concern only causes argument and gets people worked up rather than working towards the post’s goal.

If you want something changed, be nice about it, and let’s remember we’re all people… and more importantly, gamers! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

That’s why saying something like “stop whining” is not acceptable in my opinion. When you censor people in that way you are responsible for undermining the discussion, for stoking the flames and inviting others to a fight.

4 Likes

I disagree entirely. I think it’s very appropriate for me, and others, to constantly say “stop whining” because we are posting in a thread about an update that does nothing but add things to the game. Nothing was taken away from anyone. Nothing in the game was changed for the worse. No style of gameplay was changed. And yet people are complaining.

1 Like

Well, if it’s appropriate for you, I’ll say: stop whining about people who dissatisfied with this update.

8 Likes

So asking for your opinion, from a slightly different approach. I haven’t read this whole thread so I don’t know what people are complaining about exactly. The vault change is undeniably a great change, but as for the kingdom change, I’m not so sure. We don’t have enough information yet.

So I guess my question is - Do you have an issue with them spending time and resources creating something that is unattainable now, and for the foreseeable future, rather than making improvements to systems we already have?

I don’t really have an issue with this change in particular, but to me this is just more reasons why things we currently have now aren’t being addressed.

Do you feel the same?

1. it’s currently unreachable reasonably. there’s nothing to talk about
  2. without more information about the rate that book of deeds appear in the campaign pass, there’s not enough information to be hopeful for the near future
  3. based on current trends of deeds, prospects are looking poor that it will be reasonable to reach Kingdom Power 17 and Kingdom Power 19 fast enough to make use of the bonus stats. Kingdom Power 18 upgrades the Kingdom Team Bonus to Tier V

Bonus hoard stats don’t mean much if the bonuses aren’t practical to unlock, like reaching hoard level 900.

I’d like to think you’re actually lucky people aren’t talking about this more, considering it’ll only lead to more negativity.

5 Likes

Teams can work on multiple things at once. This patch laid the foundation for changes in the future. If the next campaign introduced Books and they simply told us “You’ll use these later, but we wanted to put the resource in the game now” there would be an uproar: another currency but no indication what it’s for. Here it’s the other way around. We can see their plans. That should be good news.

Furthermore, it was probably trivial for them to add these “extensions” to the kingdoms. The system was already in place, all they did was extend the numbers. There isn’t any new tech involved aside from the Book currency.

The Vault change we knew was coming, because Vaults were one of the few games that still had difficulty levels, and it was infuriating having to explain to people that the difficulty didn’t affect the rewards. Now it does, and it tells you. That’s awesome!

As for you, the devs didn’t put out this update to have players be jerks to them. Salty responded with an amazing explanation, but she didn’t need to. Everything she said should have been obvious. If people are dissatisfied with this update, they should probably find a different game.

2 Likes

Nice. Just nice. People should agree with you or leave. You would be perfect dictator. :rofl:

1 Like

No, people should be nice or leave.

3 Likes

…and suddenly the thread takes a turn into philosophy! (Paradox of tolerance - Wikipedia)

—————————

I think it was AWRYAN who mentioned traitstones above, which I agree with completely. The game added a use for traitstones long before it added an easy source for the resource. The same thing with ingots. When they were initially added to the game (and the recipes were added in the Soulforge), it was virtually impossible to acquire legendary or mythic ingots: at a 100,000–>1 conversion rate from common to mythic, nobody was ever going to upgrade Dawnbringer. Of course, then Delves were added and the weapons became much easier to complete. (Now I spend all my common ingots upgrading to epic, since those are the ingots I have the hardest time acquiring!)

This is the same thing. We have a vision of what the game is going to offer. Salty even came here and told us how the devs were planning to offer us those resources. Subject to change, as always, but the devs have a plan, and anyone thinking the plan is to let players spend literal decades of resources needs to take a step back.

In a totally unrelated note, it is interesting that power levels mention almost 40 troops per kingdom, another decades-long goal at current rates. I suspect without any additional evidence that we will see another game mode akin to Delves that rapidly inflates a kingdom’s troop count. Maybe the rumored third map? I still hold out hope that it is heavily sci-fi flavored.

11 Likes

So I don’t have a lot of experience with the history of this game, or why it does things. As a matter of fact I don’t really follow a lot of game development practices, so maybe what I’m going to ask will sound naive, but I will ask it anyway.

What is the point of releasing something incomplete? Adding something to the game we won’t even be able to use to do anything with for potentially months. Is there some kind of design advantage I’m not aware of? Why not just release the kingdom power level updates and the resources to acquire them all at once?

It just seems odd to me that is all.

Also I hope you’re right lol. The deed system has been out for just shy of a year now. I’m sure I’ve missed a deed here and there but I’ve gained just a little over 30 imperials in the entire year. That’s barely enough to level 1 of the 34 kingdoms from 15 to 20.

1 Like

In general, it’s like laying the ground work, so instead of trying to develop all the things at once on a limited schedule, we can start paving the way earlier so that it’s slightly less of a task later.

Sometimes this is done solely on the back end where players don’t see things as we regularly just try to predict what we might want certain systems to be able to do in the future, sometimes it’s added in game where you can see it which also helps to point out the general direction to endgamers looking for their next objectives.

11 Likes