3.3 - Where'd the fun go?

Thank you for the welcome! The thing I like about raids and invasions both is that it forces you to build teams around a specific theme. I am having a lot of fun with this! The challenge of building a glacial peaks team that is effective is very interesting for example.

2 Likes

I think that this is the core concept the devs wanted to push with the new modes. The problem, at the moment, is that the general usability of a given kingdom’s troops (for raids) or specific troop types (for invasions) are all over the place, with the older kingdoms tending to be worse than newer ones because of power creep reasons.

Glacial Peaks, this week, is a good example of this. Outside of Mab/Skadi, practically all of the troops in the kingdom are ill suited for higher raid levels of the event. Hopefully, in the future, more power-crept units for each kingdom/troop type (troop type is in a better position for usability at the moment) will be added to shore up the gap. For now, it is a frustrating experience.

All of new game modes are guilty of this, though Raid mode really exemplifies this issue because of the extreme levels the enemy units can reach over the other modes.

For invasion and raid modes, the issue boils down to “every time the player wins, increase the required damage output of the team to win and reduce the time available until the player team loses (through increasing enemy stats and “lucky” AI drops), until they can no longer win”. As teams are are generally fixed in power, because they are locked-in to a specific kingdom/troop type, the only way for a player to increase their damage output is to buy additional event troops for ascension or being able to run dupes of them in a team. Even then, all that does is move the goalpost slightly until the same problem happens again a few more matches down the road. The idea is to frustrate the player into buying additional tiers to temporarily mitigate the issue.

No Skadi for me has led to an incredibly frustrating experience this week. At this point, all I do is throw everyone at Zuul for points and then once he dies, try to assist the AI in killing off my team (which it doesn’t need much help to do anyways). I get the same amount of points, win or lose, for a match once Zuul is downed. So… why bother trying to go through the heartache of trying to win a match that requires a ton of luck, chipping away 300+ health/life on each minion while doing only 25-30 damage per skull/ability, only to get a harder match next time and the potential for only 5 more boss damage per match? Absolutely not worth my time at all to play a high-leveled Raid while trying to win.

3 Likes

I do agree in that invasions and raids are better in that regard for fun as I had some fun in building a shentang team and using a beast team for invasions was actually fun. However, for glacial peaks, it is easy to build a solid freeze team, but without proper board control, it is somewhat difficult at high levels. All 3 weekly game modes fail to some level as at high level/end game there is always a match you lost before you even took your first turn and there is little to nothing you could do about it.