3.3 - Where'd the fun go?

And I usually do warlord IV with no difficulty. So it appears that line of criticism is moot.

To summarize what all the Negative Nancys are telling us, when you pay for something you shouldnā€™t expect anything in return. An additional observation is that since their experience differs from that being described by others, these Negative Nancys often falsely claim otherā€™s criticism as petty or untruthful. Itā€™s okay to criticize the game because thatā€™s how it gets better (supposed to anyway) . If everyone who had a gripe just quit, the game would cease to exist. If a person spends $100 on the event (setting aside the questionable purchase) to increase their chance for success, they should be able to expect more than 10 minutes of game play each day. This is an entirely rational and reasonable transactional expectation. Unless youā€™re buying snake oilā€¦

I wasnā€™t criticizing, I was just responding to what you said up aboveā€¦

ā€œone vault key (subsequently wasted on Warlord IVā€¦)ā€

I thought what you were saying is that you played the Vault on Warlord IV and subsequently wasted it because some of the goblins got away. Thatā€™s all. Donā€™t get your panties in a bunch dude.

1 Like

If you post on a forum, you are going to get people who agree and people who disagree. Itā€™s that simple. Just because some of us are enjoying the new modes doesnā€™t make us ā€œNegative Nancyā€™sā€. It just means we have a different opinion.

I am thankful for all of the people who use real money in this game (it keeps it going for all of us!), but I am also happy that the developers donā€™t punish us for not spending real money in the game. I can spend time collecting gems the old-fashioned way if I want to, and still be able to buy the same tiers as paying played. If the game gave pay-to-play players extra tiers or what not, it would truly make the game pay to play and I probably wouldnā€™t be as interested in it anymore.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the thing.

The result of a survey isnā€™t just the final percentages. Itā€™s also interesting to look at how the data points cluster around things. If we did a survey of users and asked them to rank raid bosses from 0-10, weā€™d likely see a wavy curve with a focus around something close to ā€œ5ā€. What do I mean?

Some players REALLY hate these modes. Other players REALLY love these modes. Most players donā€™t feel so strongly, but either like or dislike them. So if you try to talk about the mode, youā€™re going to get that mixture. And if someone likes the mode, theyā€™re going to tell you they like it.

The post makes it sound like youā€™re upset that you stated your place on that line, and the forums didnā€™t realign themselves to believe exactly what you believe. Thatā€™s not how things work. Sometimes your opinionā€™s different from the majority of the game. People are going to tell you they disagree. You arenā€™t obligated to respond to all of them, and you certainly arenā€™t duty-bound to change their mind. Most of the time, itā€™s best to say what you think, then never look back. It makes your life happier.

4 Likes

I think it would be really interesting to see how the modes compare against each other, though. Despite being basically copy-and-paste in how they function, I would still rate them highly different on a scale from 0-10. I would give Raid a big, fat 0, Invasion maybe a 3 (since the towers are less horrible and the racial-restriction less harsh than a kingdom one) and Bounties maybe a 6 (very good concept in general, offering free pick in difficulty and teams so that everyone can play what they enjoy, would likely rate 8 if it wouldnā€™t be the same P2W shop).

1 Like

Iā€™m not so harsh, but sort of agree with the ranking. I like the towers better than the Raid Boss battle, and bounty is the most fun.

However, now that I have 3 minor orbs of wisdom hoarded up, I canā€™t see myself giving less than a 4 to any mode. Thatā€™s best-case ~60 traitstones Iā€™ve collected for doing basically nothing. Iā€™ll take that.

1 Like

You must have terrible luck with explore then. I would say I spend around an hour for four raid battles, more if I get extra sigils. But letā€™s say Iā€™m just doing my four battles each day. Thatā€™s 7 hours a week. I can do 180 battles in explore an hour on average. There is a 6% chance of an Arcane dropping every battle in explore. Thatā€™s 10,8 Arcanes on average an hour. That x7 = 75,6 Arcanes in the same time I spend in raid. Yes, if your guild closes all portals, you get four minor and one major orb. But the chance of getting an Orb of Wisdom is 1:4. So on average, you get less traitstones than if you do explore. Also far less gold and souls.

I think, agree or disagree, these feedback thread are important, you are so right.

For exemple, we already see a change in the rewards structure this week:

• an easy to achieve Greater Orb of Growth, for newer players.

• more define rewards, like the 5 Spirit Arcanes on Portal 6.

Still, some wierd progression, like portal 7, that wall if most players donā€™t buy tier 4, gives about nothing great. I would think this is the one that should have the best carrot.

Anyways.
Little adjustment are occurring as it becomes obvious that Orbs are great, but using the Orb of random Choas to distribute them was a terrible idea.

5 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure that was the same last time. There were 5 Arcanes that fit the colors of the kingdom (Red/Yellow since it was Shentang, Blue/Purple this time since it is Glacial Peaks).

1 Like

ā€œI think youā€™re trying too hardā€ and I say that with a smile and my tongue sticking out. I donā€™t spend more than 3-5 minutes on any given raid battle. This isnā€™t a humblebrag with ā€œā€¦and Iā€™m on the leaderboardā€ attached, I donā€™t ever aspire to get there. My teamā€™s there to execute the raid boss, then pray I get enough skulls for my Mang-fueled hero to wreck the other team. It stops working on Wednesday or Thursday, which makes things faster.

When I look at the rewards itā€™s clear it takes at least a geometrically increasing amount of effort to open each next portal. But the rewards increase, at best, linearly. Put short: working harder pays up to about portals 5-7, past that every ounce of effort has diminishing returns.

You donā€™t have to change your mind, but I donā€™t think a lot of people who arenā€™t having fun with it are framing it properly.

2 Likes

Could be.
Itā€™s the random-prize rewards (Vault Keys, Event Keys, Chaos Orbs) that are quickly loosing appeal.

2 Likes

I actually just always tried my best like I try GW, but between my heavy vision disability and the fact that the huge armor/life pool just keeps getting bigger, it just takes that long for me. Explore is just so fast for me because I donā€™t need to try or target anything. The fact that burn still obscures numbers which are poorly visible on a lot of red-colored troops even more makes things even slower this week for me (red-green-blindness, yay).

But yeah, I fully understand if others are faster than me. Maybe I am also dumb and think slowly? But I can do all GW battles in 20 minutesā€¦ but then again, I have working teams thereā€¦ :confused:

Eh, I didnā€™t mean it as an insult, more that at the time I interpreted it as trying too hard to win maximally. Now I see there are some other factors at play, and it may just take you a while per match.

In that case yes, definitely, youā€™ll reap more rewards from Explore battles than these modes.

I totally didnā€™t understand it as one, no worries.:slight_smile: Maybe I should have used some smiley to make that more clearā€¦
I sometimes forget that others are likely faster than me anyway because the board is probably way easier to read if the colors donā€™t look so similiar as they do for me. Or at least Iā€™ve been told that theyā€™re actually all very different from each other. Not like I would know. But yeah, I do best with teams where I donā€™t have to do much number-reading/targetting (Dragons, Yasmineā€™s Chosen or Infernus are my friends because of that). Itā€™s why I relied heavily on Mab this week.

But itā€™s all good for me now anyway; I talked to my guild leader and told him I donā€™t wanna do this stuff anymore and I got the okay, so Iā€™m done with Raid and Invasion for real. :smiley: That said, I still hope the devs will take the player feedback about Raid and Invasion seriously - itā€™s not like I only want to do the bare minimum for my guild and dungeons and then be done because the rest isnā€™t fun anymore. I would rather prefer a change so that Raid and Invasion become modes that I actually wanna play.

And honestly, I feel like simply giving Raid and Invasion a level selection so that it turns from ā€œYou won, great, weā€™ll just up the difficulty until you lose, get frustrated and really waste your timeā€ to ā€œHey, you won, awesome, feel like tackling an even harder boss? No worries if not, then just chill on your current level and have funā€ would improve it. That way, I would at least play my four daily matches on a lower difficulty that is reasonably fast and contribute a bit to my guild instead of contributing nothing at all.

7 Likes

Hi Iā€™m new around here but I have been playing gems since about Christmas. I want to add my 2 cents and say that I like the new events. They are different than the normal PvP grind or guild wars and that (imo) makes it interesting.

3 Likes

Rumor of dev bots in PvP leaderboard. Maybe they are in the forum too :thinking:ā€¦

6 Likes

Welcome to the forums. If you donā€™t mind if I were to pick your brain on the matter, what do you like specifically about raids or invasions? I like invasions as most weeks have a large enough selection for troops and I prefer towers as they are unique and strong but not quite too broken. Raids, well um, :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: they tried? Donā€™t get me wrong the concept is nice, but the execution was so sloppy, the prisoner got freed instead.

Bounties are cool though as while monotonous, it works in its favor to maximize points in the number of bountyhunters used. Plus you could use any troop which does help. Vaults are ok, rewards should be better and since frankly thatā€™s what itā€™s there for, its ok. I feel that either the key drop rate needs to improve if the rewards are the same or just buff rewards, or at least eliminate the bad drops.

2 Likes

The fun is still there, itā€™s just changed. To have fun, simply open you wallet and spend $100 a month on gems. Then you can have the fun of the new P2W Gems!

Yuck!

BTW, how come 75% of matches are this boring, broken team now?

5 Likes

i take every team (okay maybe 95% of the teams i see) but this. no, thanks. even with revenge and this cool anti-nyx-teams they are postet. its to annoying for me and the fun are away most of the time in gow.

and raid/invasion i play without spending gems. i need this for new mythics and my bad drop luck and yes, the reward for the time and the effort. no, thank you.

2 Likes