This is why we need MODS in chat NSFW

By definition “normal” is not relatIve. That’s a fundamental problem we have here and in society in general. Moral relativity is anathema to civilized society.

It’s not offensive to me at all. But is dumb and completely unnecessary.

To explain a bit further:

If a society where everybody determines for themselves what is wrong and what is right, there’s no foundation for an agreed-upon ethical framework. When the conventional framework breaks down (and it will) it becomes necessary to IMPOSE an ethical framework to dictate behavior.

In this setting that’s not an issue because it’s owned and operated, therefore the Devs already have implicit permission to impose whatever rules they want.

However, this type of behavior ultimately spills into the public forum. When everybody eventually comes to disagree, the only people in a position to create and enforce is the government. Wittingly or unwittingly the government is being handed control.

In this sense exercising “freedom of speech” results in those freedoms eventually being taken away by the state because we aren’t smart enough to take care of ourselves.

1 Like

Considering who I’m talking to, I take that as a major accomplishment.

It’s the internet, and this game is free to play.

To be honest, I am shocked it isn’t considerably worse. Usually the combination of anonymity and feeling one has nothing to lose leads to even more extreme toxic behavior!

1 Like

Normal IS relative, its a consensus of a local group for godsake.

But that’s the thing: If the group that finds this behavior normal, the people in that screeshot, don’t have their own place to gather and talk as they wish, they must comply with the rules enforced by the local where they are, the Goblal Chat that currently has no rule-enforcer (moderators). And since it was brought to the devs attention this episode they decided that something will be done as soon as they can.

So, as much as you think that this is up to debate, as much as you have the right to express your position, wich you did i’m sure, things are settled. I highly doubt that anyone will eventually have their mind changed, be it you or the others.

I think some of you political correct people overestimate your numbers.

Lets get back to the screenshots, any of you SERIOUSLY think that childish talk is ‘OFFENSIVE’?!

Because if so i suggest you log off the internet permanently to prevent a world of shock, this isnt anywhere near offensive and the internet is full of levels of chat lots worse and worse that even still isnt to be considered offensive untill its in the range of actual extensive excessive cyber bullying, gore spam and full on genitals… then you can complain. Untill then get real, stop being so absurdly oversensitive, start realizing children themselves sing songs about dongs and asking silly questions like if its gay to look at yourself in a mirror while naked is nothing but a laugh. Anyone here has humor? Id hope so. If not, you’re in the minority.

Now one more time; If this complaining is about wanting a “safe space” for children, then just suggest a children only chatbox, im sure crew would be fine with making one for all you modern parents who have no clue about what their own children are saying the moment they walk out the door, and i guarantee that chat will be the most offensive place to be.

It’s not about what i think is ofensive or not, it is just inappropriate for a business or in this case for the game. No matter how “anarco-libertarians” such as yourself think it is appropriate when the decision is not in your hands…

Oh sure, there are plenty of gruesome stuff on the internet an it’s up to me if i want to search for it or not, but it is up to the developers WHAT they want in their own game chat despite what i or you think that should be allowed. Do you understand now?

And the devs would be equally ridiculous if they started moderating jests such as the example in the op.

Great debate everybody. It makes for good reading!

I know I’m being nerdy, but did anybody figure out if chat can be blocked by blocking the chat port on the router level? @Sirrian I wouldn’t mind a comment but I also get it if you want to stay wide of this whole thing LOL

Ridiculous? Really, let’s take a look and try to figure iy out:

How a kid would react to it if the said kid happens to be left playing the game and see the messages coming at the chat? You say that it’s up to the parents for leaving their kids exposed to it. But you are wrong, the parents didn’t wanted to expose their kids to it, they wanted to provide the kids with a puzzle game to entertain and develop certain problem solving abilities. The fact that the chat can be used by some people to joke about masturbation and sexual orientation is not the parent’s fault when they honestly thought that this was a family friendly game, so they will rightly speak up to the company, as people did in this thread, and some feedback was given in favor of a moderated chat.

So, respectfully, i think your cause is already lost. If people want to keep looking for such kind of entertainment, with NSFW jokes and such, they will need to find a place that is not at GoW’s chat.

If parents dont want their kid to be exposed to jokes they shouldnt let their kids on the internet. /thread.

That is a much more close-minded action for such a “free spirit” as you claim to be…
But anyway, just because you think there is nothing wrong with what has been reported here so far you think it will always stay at this… As the game gains more and more popularity it is bound to also have much more people that would be willing to use the chat function improperly as they see that these “mild jokes” are allowed and everytime the limits would be pushed a little farther. So having moderation is bound to happen either people like or not.

The thread has ended a long time ago, as much as you disagree with them, my points and observations were a mere courtesy.

Politically correct? ROFL

I’m vehemently opposed to political correctness and actually speak about it publically.

I’m also very much in favor of personal responsibility and public decency.

The fact that you’re defending this, not because it’s offensive, but because it serves absolutely no useful purpose is in itself somewhat disheartening.

Come on , guys. We need to stay on track here and keep to the issue at hand instead of making this your personal little battleground . If we wanted to see a “Mine is bigger than Yours” game, we’d just watch global chat

3 Likes

2 Likes

and now the children start acting like children…this thread should be deleted now

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/707473/kicked-in-the-nuts-o.gif

1 Like