Guild Wars Sneak Peek 2
Guild Wars Sneak Peek 3
Guild Wars Sneak Peek 4
Guild Wars Sneak Peek 5
Welcome to part 1 of a series of previews for Guild Wars.
Firstly, because it's the most asked question we receive at the moment - Guild Wars are still about a month away.
Why is it taking so long?
We kept trying things, but weren't happy with them, so we kept starting again. Server migrations & Holiday Season happened in the middle of it too, so we lost a bunch of time.
What is the Central Idea Behind Guild Wars?
We want the Guild Wars system to check a whole bunch of boxes:
- It has to be simple to understand. We dislike games with really complex Guild War mechanics.
- It has to fit into players' normal patterns of play... so it's not really another thing that core players have to do every day
- It has to get Guilds talking and coordinating their members
- It has to promote diversity of teams
- It has to be a rewarding experience for tiny casual Guilds right up to the big end-game Guilds
- The best Guilds with the best players need to be able to stand out and win (sounds obvious? but it's a thing you need to constantly consider when you design scoring systems)
- There needs to be a unique Guild Wars reward you can't get from anywhere else
So we're going to kick things off with a couple of screens... not the most interesting ones... they'll be coming later.
The Guild Wars Button
Firstly we have the Guild Menu, with the GUILD WARS button. That's one way you can get to the Guild War... we may also surface the button onto the World Map... we're still working on the details of that.
The large GUILD WARS button will be pulsing if you have a Guild War Battle still left to fight today.
The Registration Tab
Now we're into the Guild Menu proper. This is the Registration Tab.
It not only allows you to register for the following week's Guild War (there is a new one every week), but it also shows you the previous week's results (and a How to Play section that quickly scrolls through the key 5 points of our Guild Wars system).
How does registration work? Pretty simple... Guild members of rank 1 & 2 can register any time before weekly changeover to play in the next guild war. If you don't register, you don't play - no exceptions - but it's as simple as a single button press.
Why do we need you to register? Well we ONLY want active Guilds in the war, and we will do the entire week's matchmaking before the first battle is fought (on day 2 - the first day of every week is rest day for Guild Wars).
That's all for now - you probably have a bunch of questions, but we'll be back with a look at the SCHEDULE tab next week to explain how that all works!