Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

Yes please.

7 Likes

Its nothing that has to be done :slight_smile:
While id say 5 battles a day in that system will be a must, using a team that maximizes points is on discretion of each individual member. I know ill try to inspire our members to do so, but i sure wont force them if they dont feel like it :grin:

1 Like

Not just for the guild leader, but for each member, too. And not fun work, busy work. I’d rather not add a bunch more busy work to the game, I want more fun. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s easy to say but that’s not the way it will play out. History shows that the best players will want to be in the best guilds and the best guilds will always be the ones that complete everything. Players tend to want to be competitive even if said competition leads to them down the road to burnoutville.

3 Likes

It really depends on the rewards too. If the rewards aren’t worth it, it might not even matter to some. Myself being one.

I have no desire to measure sticks with another guild unless the rewards are worth it. But if the rewards ARE indeed worth it, it could be exactly as you say where it’s a have-to situation. IDK I think we just gotta wait til we get the full picture.

4 Likes

Per Guild Wars preview part one, one of their design requirements for guild wars was “it needs to give a reward you can’t get anywhere else.” If it ends up being unique content (eg. troops), then the mode will be looked upon as “required” by many. I don’t like competitive features as a whole in games like this and I don’t want to be essentially hamstrung into it because it is the only way to get a certain thing required to progress in the game. I can put in my time per week with the game’s reward structures as they are now, but even five battles daily (considering they have to be specific, tailor made teams that would likely be much slower than normal PvP battles) could be a dealbreaker for me.

However, this seems at odds with another one of the design requirements:

I’m not seeing yet how it could possibly fit both those criteria at the same time. Unless, of course, the “reward you can’t get anywhere else” could just as easily be another way to get stuff you can get everywhere else (eg., a token that you can use in place of any arcane would technically fit into this but still not very valuable because Arcanes are already readily available).

One last thing, on the subject of bonuses. Might I suggest that a full single color team give at least double the bonus as three on a team? You don’t even have to sacrifice anything to slap three blue troops in a Valk team (which is true for about anything that can be fed by a universal converter), but using four blue troops at least has you thinking somewhat outside the box.

5 Likes

That’s not entirely true; Mean Machines and Hoguns measure sticks even if it is good natured we’re still competitive on the leaderboards and we get no rewards for that other than bragging rights (and meme fights). As @Mithran pointed out, Sirrian has already said the rewards will be something you can’t get elsewhere so the chances are, it’ll be something desirable.

1 Like

Sirrian is also easy to understand for an Australian.

We only measure sticks with you because you’re kind to us. From the start you came up slowly behind us and put your branches around us.

On a serious note the only reason we are competitive with you in a 1 on 1 personal sense, is because we know you. That doesn’t happen with any other guild that we can’t put a face to. I suspect it’s the same for a lot of people. Yeah we all want to move up the leaderboard at our own pace, but it’s never personal. This makes it kind of personal. You’re essentially picking a different guild every day and calling them out.

If you want me to go to war, I need to be paid handsomely. Make it worth my time. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

And that’s fine for casual guilds, I’m all for players playing how they want (that’s kind of my larger point) but I do run a semi-hardcore guild (top 30) and enjoy being competitive. That’s not my complaint at all (more competition is great for those who enjoy it); my complaint is the new mechanic that appears to require players to follow a very rigid play schedule in order to maximize the rewards from this new mode. For those players that are competitive, they will be forced to choose between doing this or no longer being competitive; that just doesn’t seem like a great solution as it doesn’t allow players to choose to play in a style they find appealing.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree; I was mostly just using it as an excuse to tell the world about our Guild-bro-love-fest.
:heart: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart:

:wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for explaining that way better than I did. :smiley:

To add to that, i dont think that any other guild was right next to us in the ranking for such a long time :smiley:
You were always 1 place below or ahead of us (soon to be below again :stuck_out_tongue: ).

2 Likes

There was a time when we were below you? :thinking: That doesn’t ring a bell.

:wink:

But in all seriousness, I think I’ve already cluttered up this post with my thoughts and silliness enough for one night. Hopefully the devs have already considered the issues I brought up and have a solution already in place.

1 Like

Quick clarification… one of the rewards WILL be unique to guild wars, but you’ll get them for finishing first or last (you’ll just get MORE of 'em for first). In other words… a guild can fight every single battle during the week trying to get first… or they can fight one single battle with one member, and they WILL get at least one of the unique reward.

We want to make sure that nobody who participates misses out on the cool stuff.

As for “extra” stuff to do… in every respect, a Guild War battle counts as a ranked PvP Battle… you’ll get trophies, glory & pvp points, and lots of gold for competing… so it’s not so much an extra thing to do as it is an extra way of doing something most players are already doing.

For Guilds who don’t play every day… they’re probably not going to max out their points, but I can’t really think of any guild wars systems I’ve ever played in lately where you could optimize your performance but not play on some kind of timetable. It’s an interesting problem though, so we’ll keep it in mind.

26 Likes

Based on the existing structure of everything else in the game, I would have expected a weekly timetable.

6 Likes

This, totally this. Competitive players will compete even when it’s not fun, until they burn out and quit totally. If there is a carrot available, we want it, just to complete the set. Even if it’s a useless ugly carrot, we must have it. Top guilds will lose top players if they don’t complete everything. Saying “you don’t have to” is simply turning a blind eye to human nature.

With that said, I like mixing things up, and am ok with the “special tasks”. My main concern is the daily requirement. Would be nice if you could just have a big board of fights, such as "5 blue fights vs GuildA and 5 red fights vs GuildB, ", etc. If you do 5 a day, or 30 on Friday, your choice.

I also woukd love a sneak peak of the carrot I’m already salivating over, sight unseen…

5 Likes

Yeah any other way probably would’ve locked people in even more. Unless they did it monthly I guess, but that doesn’t even seem possible given the way all the other systems are.

@Sirrian, I’m assuming it’s too late to change this now but for argument’s sake, Is there a reason it couldn’t be on a weekly time table instead of daily? A guild needs to fight 6 guilds in a week but is there a compelling reason why they have to fight one each day instead of 30 fights in one day (split amongst the five guilds)?

If you’re already limiting the number of battles a player can fight per guild, what is the downside to letting a player choose when to fight them (within the week timetable of the War)?

10 Likes

What if you had 5 battles against 6 guilds each week, but could choose when you do them?

4 Likes