Daily Troop Discussion!

Both Invigorated and Regeneration is extremely bad traits to have on any troops. Or am I missing something, why would you prefer any of those traits?

I was working off his heal-self mechanic - Regeneration fits theme-wise, and Invigorated would make the heal to full more powerfulā€¦ both felt more appropriate than Arcane, which is over-used and in many odd placesā€¦

But the matches is supposed to be over in a less than 10 turns, 5-10 extra life wonā€™t do much. I prefer some good traits, as I donā€™t consider any of the two traits you suggested anything special, not even for a common rarity troop.

Seeing all the things that can do Wisp, I think Abhorath should have:

• extra turn
  • cleanse
  • a new 3rd trait: ā€œGain Enrage when matching Purple gemsā€

About more heal-self mechanics, his spell is enough so he can regen quite often.
The main issue is the ā€œremove the boardā€ that you can spell him to regen and finally get killed because of a super nice board for the AIā€¦ Extra turn should be enough to correct that.
Enrage is a new mechanic that goes very well with him and will allow him to kick Stonehammer or Gorgo.

1 Like

I canā€™t agree with that statement ā€˜matches should be over in 10 turnsā€™. Matches should be varied and troops offer different ways to win. Yes, end game efficiency for grinding is a factor, but we shouldnā€™t see that narrow what can be done as design ideas, else every new troop will just have to be a different colour wispā€¦

2 Likes

Or different color Gorgotha. oh yes, give us all color combo of gorgotha! :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to use him a lot. Now only in this team, mainly as a board refresher and to get extra benefit from skulls. Which is his job and things go smoothly he doesnā€™t get hit. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually really donā€™t mind his spell as you can get cascades off it and instant +4ā€™s and skulls, but perhaps to bring him
back up the curve Iā€™d think maybe alter:

• boost the attack gained by number of purple gems removed 2:1
  • add a small HP boost, plus 5-10 health along with the self heal (edit: lowered from 10-15)
  • remove Arcane trait and replace with ā€˜Purple Haze - summon a Darkstorm on enemy deathā€™
  • rework 3rd trait into something like ā€˜when an enemy dies gain 10 attack and lifeā€™

These should still keep him doing the the same tank/skull threat role and keeping him alive a tad longer in the new age of boosted HP/Armour, while adding in some slight benefit to generating some purple mana as a bonus! After all, you have to cast his spell to keep him alive, unlike Gorgotha.

Also, his attack should get larger more quickly which a buff to Sacrifical Priest too.

Agree with @Jainus, we shouldnā€™t just be creating easy buttons to get wins in 5 turns.
All tanks canā€™t have stoneskin and all others shouldnā€™t have an extra turn just because their spell has an random element to it.

3 Likes

No matter how I look at it the traits you suggested is meh. That was my main point, that sadly got washed away by my turn statement. But feel free to dissagree. I do say a purple storm or/and magic link would be a lot more useful as he is typically a front troop, to get him go a little faster, and hes a Legendary afterall.

I agree with all of Drathas points, All traits should be changed into:
Magic Link
Purple Haze
God of War, Drathas suggestions with gaining 10 attack and life when an enemy troops dies.

The more I think about it, the more I think heā€™s a prime candidate to be retrofitted with enrage. At the moment, gaining attack just isnā€™t scary to play against if you have a decent tank. But an enraged Abohrath would be pretty badass

1 Like

Also gain enrage when he use his spell, seems like a good suggestion. That + the trait reworks me and Drathas has commented on. And I could see myself using him now and then.

1 Like

PRINCE AZQUILA

Ok, this guy now.
Umm played him a few times and only in a Styrx team.

I feel he suffers from the same as Borealis in that damage is pretty low, but other than that Iā€™ve found him ok? Iā€™ll have a think and come back.

Maybe the team buff should either only apply to himself or allied stryx and lose the on death condition.

Like his traits.

1 Like

I am not sure what he need yet, but it will be something major. Except from the storm he is pretty uselessā€¦!

1 Like

Abhorath: I was actually doing a write up on this when @Drathas posted and it ended up being pretty much what I was going to say, so Iā€™ll throw my weight behind that. Only Iā€™d be careful about giving him a storm on kill. Aborath backed by an appropriately colored storm can very easily cast several times in a row, getting skull cascades and occasionally sweeping the team. This is muted for now since basically every appropriately colored storm user is either blocked by him or marginalized by being extremely out of place (snow hunterā€™s icy death vs infernusā€™ fiery death is not even comparable given the troops they are on), but this could be fixed as more relevant troops are added. Iā€™m not sure he should be able to luck into this setup solo with skull cascades/extra turn with his spell which would allow him to streak into killing several of the team and (with redesign life gain +huge) gaining 100+ life and 150+ attack in the process. Iā€™m fine if he can do this with a bit of support, as an RNG troop that risks a lot every time he casts (and he already can, it just takes a bit more than it should to make sure he doesnā€™t collapse right away and to get the storm up).

Prince Azquila:
Another storm user that always gives first crack to the enemy. I never really liked the design of any of these, and I think storms were always massively overcosted for this reason, but thats another matter. Like most Epics, he does large base damage with zero boosts that scales extremely poorly into even midgame and has no boost condition for his spell, but only gets his secondary effect of attack raise (also a fixed value, terrible scaling) if his spell kills. Not only that, it suffers from a very high cost, making it very hard for him to trigger the storm in the first place to gain the advantage that he needs. He turns gorgotha into a chaining machine, but as youā€™ve wasted two slots and you want your other damage dealer to also be yellow, and you need a huge amount of setup, it is usually not worth it. The majority of my uses Iā€™ve used him is when he gets summoned by Elspeth AND cascades to full mana, but otherwise, this is a mulligan summon for Elspeth.

I do not consider him remotely an endgame troop and he should not be balanced as such or to try and counter the current meta. However, he should get a slight buff. In keeping with his design and just to make him a bit more situationally useful, Iā€™d give his spell triple damage versus Naga and drop the cost to 10 or 11. If he needs to lose his kill condition for this to happen, do that, as he does not fill the role of attack buffer appropriately anyway since it is way too hard to set up once you are out of extremely early game. Other conditional triple damage users that can specifically target range from 10 to 12 for 21 to 33 base spell damage (at endgame, before traits and team bonuses) without getting a storm or death condition out of it, but on a lot more relevant troop types, a whole color, or any troops with triple damage under easy to attain circumstances that they can set up alone occasionally (Lady Ironbeard, Minogor). Replace his Stryx Shield trait with Air Spirit. The only thing he has over Peryton is still his dual colors while sacrificing quite a bit, as Peryton would consistently deal more damage to everyone and be easier to set up, but covering an additional color that is unblocked is a pretty big blessing when you run exploders as generators. I still donā€™t think he would see much use at endgame, but makes him a bit easier to run existing setups that need him for the storm (which may become increasingly irrelevant when the appropriate on-death storm trait hits on an appropriate troop) and would extend his naga slaying purpose if we started seeing more relevant naga.

3 Likes

All I can say about this troop, is that the artwork is stunning. Iā€™ve never used the stryx, only heronath with rowanne. They suffer the same fate as the silverglade bunch, as in theyā€™re all just a bit meh, and thereā€™s far better troops to use. There really needs to be a stryx exploder to make use of the storms. Maybe the suncrest mythic will solve that?

1 Like

CTHYRYZYX

2 Likes

His health armour ratio is also what abhorath should have.

Cool art and spell name certainly fits itā€™s (dis)function.

Obviously a defender, with that trait set, yet now Death Touch is worse than a bond traitā€¦
When I first got him I wanted him to work so bad, but sadly noā€¦ He might even be more random than Mongo currently!

1 Like

He reminds me a little of Psion when it comes to the art. He could possibly have been a mini psion? Drain 4 mana from all enemies + something more ofc. Oh wait, everybody would just had used Psion instead, so terrible bad idea by meā€¦

Nerf name.

4 Likes

or add an extra X and Z to the name. :wink:

2 Likes