What does everyone think of the class event?

I’m in a large guild and have the best troops and I can still get more class XP in an hour just grinding away at PvP or Arena than I can busting my hump to try and max this event.

The only cherry on top is the orb and given the value of the other rewards, I think this is the most expensive minor orb in the game.

2 Likes

Have’nt spent a single gem in the last two class events, and don’t plan to in the future.

2 Likes

Same. There’s nothing about this event to make it worth spending gems. I actually ignored yesterday’s event completely.

1 Like

I like the class events, but the class xp rewards are just too low.

1 Like

I got my Assassin from lvl 80 to 90.
So I guess cool.

It’s all a matter of perspective, I’m treating it as an extra daily task. Play 20 battles using 4 event troops, get 10k gold and 25 gems. Pretty good payout, better than most daily tasks.

4 Likes

I find the level of vitriol expressed here over this additional content fascinating. The event is non-mandatory, it did not replace another event, and it is completely free to participate. It’s fine that you do not like something, the way many of you do not like Treasure Hunt. This event, like Arena and Treasure Hunt is fantastic for players at an earlier stage of the game, and I applaud the developers for providing it.

By making some events that benefit new players more than old, the developers are trying to attract and retain a larger playbase, which benefits us all. The event is in no way a ‘fail.’ The veterans are more likely failing to see how it benefits them, which is most certainly does.

3 Likes

That doesn’t mean we can’t say what we think about this event on this forum…

Really? New players spending their gems for this Event?
And in terms of Champion level, veteran and new players are almost on an equal footing.

3 Likes

I find “fantastic” to be a really, really grandiose assessment. Let’s talk about what a newbie gets, I have to do rewards from memory.

First, you beat 5 fights that scale, using very restricted troops. A new player is at a big disadvantage, so they’re not going to be able to push very far once the stats start scalilng. Anyway, this is I think 10 class XP per iteration? Meanwhile, every 5 wins, they get to cash in a reward. You get 5 gems, 10(?) class XP, and some gold.

So ignoring levels, and assuming about a 25% Valraven rate, if you spend 5 sigils you expect:

• 2 sigils
  • 20 XP
  • some gold
  • 5 gems

How many sigils do you start with? Or, maybe that’s irrelevant. Let’s say the newbie somehow spends what, 350 gems to get to Tier IV for the weapon? How many sigils is that? In the bounty, that’d be 14. So for 350 gems, assuming you spend all 14, 10 of those gems are worth:

• 3 sigils (Because I assume you spend 10, then 4, then 1 of your bonus sigils)
  • 60 XP
  • some gold
  • 15 gems

So we’re talking about newbies, the players who can’t tackle pet rescues, beating at least 5 or 6 scaling rounds using limited teams across 25-30 battles to get maybe about 80 XP. They “win” 20 gems, but had to spend 350 to get there.

And, realistically speaking, after a few rounds they are exceptionally unlikely to win their matches anyway, making it take longer to get their XP. I’m not even entertaining that a new player’s reaching the orb without spending a lot of money and being lucky.

Or.

They could spend half the time fighting in 40 PvP battles or about 4 Arena runs and keep their 350 gems, netting the same XP. In the same amount of time as spending 4 tiers of sigils and winning, I’d argue a newbie is likely to get MORE rewards from ignoring class events.

Unless someone can show me a spot where my memory fails, such as “No actually you get 100 XP from the reward tiers”, I can’t see how I even benefit from using the free sigils vs. just continuing to grind out PvP/Arena.

This is why I complain. The devs spent time on this event. Time that could have been spent on fixing bugs, or adding other content people want. Instead, we have an event that doesn’t provide an efficient set of rewards for anyone at any level of play.

4 Likes

Spent gems to get the troop. I don’t even know that I’ll use the sigils. We’ll see how bored I get vs how much I want to build a viable, worthy double bound team.

I think this is the point where we are diverging. The value I find in any of these events is ‘anti-boredom’ value. I’m not comparing rewards, because in Gems of War there is only one king: Ranked PvP. If you did nothing but Ranked PvP you would be very successful in this game. There isn’t any other activity with that distinction. It’s just so boring, so as a new player you are more likely to stick around if there is the option to do something else once in awhile.

You are correct. Fantastic was too rose-colored. I think diversity of activity is fun, and for a new player might keep them more involved.

Cash grab like everything else this game has become.

1 Like

Tier 4 buy in is more than sufficient to get the 40 wins required for the orb. Most players don’t buy any further because tier 5 is essentially providing the class weapon that many players have already got. Not much value there. Those that go beyond tier 4 are usually competing for the power and major orbs on offer for a very high leaderboard position.
So…if u get the 40 wins, there is a good chance you will make the top 100. As it stands, I got 51 wins from level 4 gems buy in, and that pays 2 orbs and 150 gems as an LB reward. I agree that class progress rewards are a bit frugal, but if you like a couple of orbs etc, and take a little time to build your team, you don’t get too bad a return. Enjoy the creative req of class event and take it as a welcome break from mind numbing PvP divine meta torture. That’s a good enough reason for me to play it.

2 Likes

I agree with you that it’s fun diversion mode. Now that I’m starting to have gems overflow, I’m trying to participate every week. I only buy up to Tier 3 though, and it’s enough to finish stage 8 if you don’t lose match/Valraven once. You might be unlucky and get a battle short sometimes, so Tier 4 is better if you want a orb with certainly.

As for the leaderboard, it’s also depended on the troop selection. Less people will participate if there are very few troop choices, which in turn help reaching top 100 easier.

1 Like

Gems overflow? Ha, first Krystara problem…

2 Likes

Hahaha, it’s not 10K+ gems like veteran players, but enough to buy Tier 6 in Raid/Invasion right on weekly reset every weeks, with some gems to spare.

I don’t have an access to VIP chest, so more than 1K leftover gems hoard feels like a waste if I don’t exchange it for something that could accelerate my progress. Class event is the one that help with getting extra orbs, on top of faster Champion exp. point, cutting farming time. So I choose to participate in them for fun.

Class events? Fun? What?

Actually I have enjoyed having excuses to use certain teams. For instance this latest Knight one I had Dawnbringer + Ysabelle + double Champion of Anu, which is amusing. But the fights themselves are … bleh.

Yes, I agree, I’m starting to have gem overflow too and I’m not quite sure why.

So if you’ve played for more than a year (sometime this month is my GoW anniversary!) and you have so many resources that you can’t figure out what to spend gems on, yes, class events are an interesting way to spend your free resources.

For everyone else, whatever, it’s some scaling PvP matches with treasure-gnome level rewards every 5 matches. There are worse ways it could be structured.

I agree with your first point, I don’t see reason to complain about the event. I play the free sigils, get about 4 tiers worth of rewards and out. It’s pretty low effort. I did skip last weeks though because the troop selection was complete garbage.

As far as new players go…my 7 y.o son just started like 5 days ago, so can’t get much newer. On the plus side, yes he could shortcut unlocking his first class, which was good! The event itself though was unplayable. He has only two troops + hero (level 19) that he had access too, neither of which were leveled. With enemies starting at 15, there was no chance.

I get that “new player” extends well into level 200 (if not more) in practice, but just want to pump the brakes a bit on “wow this is just like treasure hunt!” comparisons, because reality is that with the really restrictive roster selection, the event is a brute, and that’s before even talking about spending what limited gems you can access at that stage.

3 Likes

Yes, I seem to have hit overflow too without knowing why. Guild tasks, weekly tasks and daily tasks plus dungeon are done as always. I’ve got full sentinels every wars, and have plenty gems to go tier 4 class event, tier 5 or 6 in raid and invasion, a foray into bounty for orbs and a vault key, and buy diamonds in dungeon without impact on the gem count.

It seems that there are a couple factors at play here:

• Increased gem tributes from kingdoms
    due to progression.
  • Gem rewards from higher GW bracket.
  • Gems from leaderboard placements.
  • Significant LT completion giving keys and thus more gems.

Reading between the lines, the biggest factor here is good guild membership and completing your tasks. Increased freedom to spend gems in events gets orbs and gems to stabilise the tally. Unless I decide to go all in for a power orb, (I never will) my gem count seems to be 3.5K minimum. This should continue to rise as further classes are maxed and some class events can thus be ignored. Bottom line, a great guild where everyone chips in and does their bit…go join one.

1 Like