What does everyone think of the class event?

Yeah, Valraven rate is a secret so I ran with “1 in 4” which “feels” right. I don’t know if someone else is trying to crack it but it’s possible I’m wrong. I could’ve done the math badly too, it’s possible I screwed up and added 1 sigil per Valraven. I was desperately trying to not have to show ALL of my work, but I bet I mucked this up.

It means you started with 17 sigils and played 40 rounds. So you had to have encountered 23 sigils worth of Valravens, or 12 total. 12/40 is more like a 30% encounter rate, and not so much further away from 1/4 to make me think my old numbers were right.

But weren’t there 10 rounds of rewards, not 8? If that’s true you’d have needed 17 Valravens and I’m not sure I buy that they’re closer to a 50% encounter outside of saying “Yes, you got lucky”. My original math was targeting 50 sigils, that’d be 10 reward rounds.

I had tier 5 reward with just the free sigils.

I bought to tier 4, cleared the rewards with 4 sigils left over.

I like it better than Raid and Bounty, not as much as Invasion. Dragons certainly helped and maybe it’ll stink to high hell with a lesser class, but for a thing to do on a random Thursday I thought it was fine.

Yes, that’s not significantly outside expectations of luck.

You start with 8 sigils. To get to tier 5 took 25 total rounds. So you played 17 sigils that were obtained from Valravens. If that’s true, you saw 9 valravens over 25 matches, which is 36% of your matches.

Most people I’ve talked to who didn’t spend gems ended up making tier 4. That’s 20 total rounds, 12 of them from Valravens. To encounter 6 Valravens over 20 matches is 30% I personally ended up with 22 total sigils, but didn’t play the final 2.

You are convincing me that 30% might be a more correct rate for Valraven appearance than 25%. That’d make you still “lucky”.

At this point I don’t care to go readjust the numbers. I can’t look up things to double-check anyway because no one records anything in GoW.

Sorry, but they will never stop whining no matter what content we get or fixes we get, some of them have been complaining every week for as along as 3-4 years now. Still they play and love the game. Thankfully we can mute the threads we wants to.

I found it meh. Some different battles to do, some extra class xp was nice, but not enough to be worth pursuing. I bought the first two tiers just to see how much harder the battles get, won’t be doing that again.

2 Likes

Been so busy that I didn’t even read the update notes then looked at the event yesterday and was unsure if it was worth the gems…ended up forgetting it altogether. At the time I figured it would be a weekend event, like the bounty. Seems I didn’t miss anything and I won’t be too sad if I miss them in the future. Especially since I can’t handle short timed events (pets have made me near insane cause I get distracted easily, but at least they’re more useful).

I’ll just stick with farming in PVP/Explore for levels and make small handfuls of gems from treasure maps.

Edit: I’ll just stop making stupid jokes and stay away from these boards from now on.

7 Likes

Complete and utter waste of time and the most "pay to win’ “event” in the game imo.

This is just a “mode” for “whales” to max out a class in a few minutes for 2000 gems rather than play the class

I’m with Stan I’m going to not even play it unless it is a new class (don’t care about 20 gems for the effort expended I’d rather play PvP and get better rewards for my time spent)

Cheers
Calvin

3 Likes

How do we mute the threads?!?!

Click tracking and then mute it

4 Likes

Hate to break it to you and the other trolls, but gems of war is more popular than ever. I see it in the pvp leaderboards.

Thanks… fantastic idea. I just didn’t know that before and those threads keep popping up

Don’t cry for me, Argentin!

1 Like

One might say that the only good thing about these events is you can fit 'em in a toaster. But I don’t know how virtual time-based things would translate into physical proportions. *shrug*

1 Like

Okay okay seriously…

Events have been staggering downhill since the first set came out (and gave us less Guild Wars).

They have been called many things. Restricting. Too hard, or way too easy but not fun. Repetitive. Limited-use new content. Etc.

These ones though, they kind of take the cake. No new content at all, double restrictions and its the same five fights every time?

I can abide by the class events for the new classes, but for these ones that we’ve already got… the amount of exp is a drop in the bucket, as with everything else, and there’s really not a lot of other reasons to play it out. Let alone spend too much in the way of gems on it.

Worth noting that low-level players can probably take advantage of the “old-class” events to get a hero up to 20-ish for some talents. Also worth noting that less-experienced players may be more tempted (read… um, more dumb) by the leaderboard and throw gems at it.

9 Likes

I’ve let my thoughts and experiences simmer for a few days on this instead of throwing out a “hot take” on my feelings about the matter.

So, I’ll start by prefacing one of the very last (if not the last) mechanics/design philosophy posts by Sirrian, where he describes the theories surrounding Tier costs on the eve of the launch of Raid Mode.

Four months later, with hindsight being 20-20, there was a lot of information to be gleaned from this post that the playerbase did not know to look for at the time.

From his post, the intention was a minimum of Tier 4 to clear an event, but with the disclaimer that while mathematically possible, Tier 5 was needed for a realistic full clear.

Tier 4 = 30 + 70 + 150 + 250 = 500 gems (mathematically possible minimum clear cost)
Tier 5 = 30 + 70 + 150 + 250 + 350 = 850 gems (realistic minimum clear cost)

As the Class Events are solo experiences, for the sake of the analysis, the fact that entire guilds need to buy in at those level to full clear an Raid Mode / Invasions is irrelevant here.

Next, a comparison to the costs of the Class Event is necessary. From higher up in the thread, @Slypenslyde provided the relevant costs and rewards.

What’s relevant here is the reward for the event, class XP. After all, it’s the point of playing the event (outside of newbie players who don’t have the class unlocked and want to just buy the weapon/traits outright). Examining the class XP gains in terms gems costs from shop purchases is quite revealing:

Tier 1 - 5 XP - 30 gems
Tier 2 - 20 XP - 100 gems
Tier 3 - 70 XP - 250 gems
Tier 4 - 220 XP - 500 gems
Tier 5 - 470 XP - 850 gems
Tier 6 - 830 XP - 1350 gems
Tier 7 - 1330 XP - 1850 gems

Using Sirrian’s logic, Tier 4 would be the minimum expected spend to make the event “worth it”, at 500 gems. Note how the total purchased XP at Tier 4 its more than triple than stopping at Tier 3 and doubles again for Tier 4. 220 Class XP is okay at very low champion levels, but is very underwhelming at higher champion levels. To that extent, Tier 5 is the realistic minimum to make the event feel worthwhile.

Therefore, the event costs are coded to be in-line with expected gem sink costs for Raid Mode/Invasion/Bounty modes, and is working “as designed”.

So, from the devs’ perspective, the event is mechanically functioning correctly. From the players’ perspective, at least the ones here on the forums, I personally agree that the buy-in costs are too high (at least for a 1-day only event; even pets only have a 175 gem minimum buy-in to guarantee the pet). On the other hand, I’m reasonably confident that the players on this forum are NOT the target audience for this event. The devs know that we are willing to grind out champion levels, and to that extent, they are likely okay with this. The event is designed to target new players, by offering them paid shortcuts to minimize the grind and to fast-track champion levels and talents, class traits, and the relevant class weapon, that we all grinded for on the way to end-game.

From the brief examination of the leaderboard for the event, I’d fathom a comfortable assertion that the devs likely considered the event on Thursday to be successful.

4 Likes

Im sure they would :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::weary:

My only addition to your post is that Champion XP is next to worthless to me, so getting a lot of it for the same thing other modes give me vault keys and multiple orbs for is laughable.

I think you’re right, we’re not the target audience. What bugs me is I’d even tell new players to not bother. Saving 700 gems to get more stuff out of the next event seems like a better payoff.

3 Likes

Agreed incredible waste of time. For people who have been playing for years it is almost a slap in the face. How about making something that is worth the time invested. Ridiculous

3 Likes

If you are in a large guild and get the best troops I guess it’s great, but, it is a far reach for the those in a small guild. Be nice to have a fair chance at class event, are a, and troop drops. Still like the game.