Traits that trigger on opponent's actions

This is a vague idea that I’ve been thinking about for a while, but with the Design a Weapon thread, I thought I’d put it out here.

There are plenty of traits that trigger when you do something (eg Kraken Gains Life on 4/5 matches, also Deal 3 Damage on 4/5 matches), but how about a trait that has an effect when an opponent matches 4/5?

For instance a Red Troop which has a trait “Too hot to handle” (or maybe a better name!) which does 2 damage to all Red enemies when the opponent matches Red gems?

Perhaps a Green Troop with "Fungus - Inflict Disease on Green enemies when they match 4/5 Green gems?

Or Shrapnel - Inflict 1 damage on all enemy troops when they explode a gem.

Life’s Blessing - All troops gain 1 life when opponent matches Yellow

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, so don’t take them as rigid suggestions, but does this sound like a good idea or have I just not thought it through enough?

4 Likes

Well that went down like a lead balloon… :frowning:

I liked it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Would definitely be interesting/annoying to put on a defence as a specific counter to something. I just didn’t really have a lot more to add :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

I like the idea that defensive teams could have something trigger when their opponent makes a 4 match.

It would make going for 4 matches more of a dilemma than the obvious choice they usually are now.

2 Likes

Mm, and/or something you have to strategize around or counter.

A similar idea could be to have a trait that does something to ALL troops on 4/5 matches, e.g. 2 damage, or +1 attack/magic (Raising The Stakes); or a spell that freezes everyone (Stop, Hammer Time/Everyone Just Chill Out, Okay?). Taking a little bit of damage yourself could help you knock out one of their troops.

1 Like