Token totals issue

Platform, device version and operating system: PS5

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
Having completed an explore run, I got 2 tokens which were displayed as “New!” meaning I didn’t have any before, but once I tried to exit the screen the game evolved the tokens into a badge, meaning either it gave me 3 but said there were 2, or I already had 1 and the new was wrong, or it randomly made a badge with only 2 tokens. I can’t figure out which it was, but either way something seems messed up, because getting 2 tokens marked new shouldn’t be evolving them into a badge.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
It’s fairly regularly happening, but not every time. It seems like I see it happen once or twice a week, maybe, but with no obvious reason behind when it happens.

Steps to make it happen again
Not sure, other than repeatedly playing explore and hoping to see it.

1 Like

I believe that you already had 2 Orpheus tokens, the game used 1 of your rewards to craft the badge and for a split second it thought you had no tokens in your inventory and declared the second reward token as ‘new’.

6 Likes

Well that doesn’t make sense, because other times I get one or more tokens and it doesn’t say new, but does evolve them into badges. It’s only sometimes when it gives 2 and says new and evolves them. If it happened every time that’d make sense, but it doesn’t.
I get what you’re suggesting and it seems right, but I’m not convinced that’s what’s happening.

1 Like

I suspect it always depends on your starting amount.

If you start with zero tokens of the given type, or complete a badge, and have 1+ tokens left after the award ceremony, then I think the ‘New’ appears.

If enough are won to just evolve the badge then the ‘New’ won’t appear (unless starting out with zero).

4 Likes

when you reach 3, 6, 9, “evolve” happens
or reach 1,4,7, “new!” happens
so, if you have 2,5, or 8 badges before fight and get 2 more token after that.
you will reach (2+1 = 3 evolve and 2+1+1 = 4 new! at the same time
(5 become 6 evolve and 7 new! ; 8 become 9 evolve and 1 new!)
however, other than 2,5,8, it wont happen.
is it more clear now? :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed this forever and it irritates the crap outta me seeing the NEW! when I already had tokens of that type in my inventory.

1 Like

This has been changed from bug report to support without a reply from a moderator. Does that mean that this isn’t considered a bug, even though something in the game is clearly not working as it should?

I’ve been trying to replicate the BUG to check whether the suggested cause by redmist is accurate, but haven’t managed to get the right amount of tokens to line up and cause it to happen. If I manage it, I’ll update here to help narrow down the cause so it can potentially be fixed, but as it stands it’s clear to me that it’s a bug. They might decide not to bother fixing it, but I’d still appreciate an acknowledgement of the bug.

1 Like

100% agree.

1 Like

For once, it is actually justified to say, that something is “working as intended”. This is not a bug.

2 Likes

It’s just a quirk with the sequence things are processed, rather than a true bug.

Any real programmers are free to correct my nonexistent knowledge, going just by logical train of thought.
So, you win the game and clients sends win-game message to the server.
Server rolls and processes boss chest contents:

Token 1 - Orpheus
Total-token-count = 3 (as you already had 2 in your inventory) → evolve into badge → total-token-count = 0
Token 2 - Orpheus → tag with “New!” new item tag.

Then server sends appropriate info back to the client and client displays the visuals - two tokens with “New!” tag (as they are both within the same item line) and badge evolve animation.

So, could they change something about how this is handled? - Surely. Do they need to? - Nope, this should be in lowest priority bucked to be looked at after more impactful problems are solved.

By the way, have you paid attention to chaos orbs? Do it, it’s worth the effort.
If you have 0 of some orb in your inventory, you will see unopened chaos orb with “New!” tag on after-battle reward screen before orb reveal animation is played if you happen to roll the kind of orb that you’re missing.
The same thing - it’s all determined server-side before battle rewards display on your screen and the client only plays irrelevant post-fact animation.

2 Likes

if you are going to prove the number of token go wrong, you have to check the number before and after mythic bosses.
as we assume it is just animation glitch and not affect us much. however, we also cant prove you are wrong or right, coz we dont have evidence.

How? Putting aside the fact that we can’t really know what is intended, it seems obvious to me that the “New!” should appear when you have 0 tokens and right now it seems to occasionally mess up and appear when you don’t have 0, possibly due to events in the code happening in the wrong order. But if the game gives you a thing you already have and tells you you didn’t already have it, no matter what the reason was, that IS a bug.

Not sure if you’re suggesting the devs are bad at coding or just don’t care about enduser experience, but that is a terrible way to order the process. Again, I’m in the same boat as far as lacking coding knowledge and happy to hold my hands up if I’m wrong but it feels like the coding should go as follows:
Step 1: generate random rewards
Step 2: check rewards against existing token totals → if existing total = 0, then add “New!” tag and move to next step, else move to next step.
Step 3: add reward total to existing total and check if new value is above 2 → if so, move to evolve stage (step 4), if not continue to display stage (step 5).
Step 4: calculate the number of tokens and badges, evolve tokens to badges and badges to medals until totals are 2 or less in both categories.
Step 5: pop up display page for user showing rewards, with “New!” on rewards previously calculated to need that tag.
Step 6: once exiting reward screen, if evolving tokens has occurred, move to evolve screen, else return to menu.

Now, if they coded it like this, and it’s not behaving that way, that’s the bug. If they coded it differently, I guess that’s not a bug but it would be an issue with the code that needs acknowledgement and either correction or stating that there is no intention to make it work better, ideally, rather than just ignoring it because they coded it badly.

I have noticed this but also not been sure why it sometimes occurs. If you’re right, it’s another bug or bad code in the same way and should also be acknowledged and ideally fixed or changed.

But that shouldn’t matter. Whether the coding takes action at the point the battle ends, or as you progress through the screens, the only bit that matters here is “does the check of whether to add the “New!” tag happen before or after the check to evolve tokens?”
If the check for new happens first, this is a bug that needs fixing. If it happens after, it’s bad code that needs fixing. Either way, from the point of view of the enduser there is something wrong and it’s not working as expected. For that to be intended would be kinda dumb.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been trying to do. So far I haven’t managed to repeat the issue, likely because it is caused in the way redmist suggested and I just haven’t had that arrangement of rewards occur. Given that tokens are given randomly, trying to both have 2 tokens for a specific medal and get rewarded 2 or more of that same token from a chest is unlikely to happen often. Which is why I was only noticing it happen rarely. So trying to repeat it during testing is taking a while. I’ll keep trying and add here if I manage to repeat it.

A similar issue would arise in your “code” situation as well. If you have 0 of a token, and win 3, then they would displayed as NEW, and when you go to check your inventory you would have 0.

Unless someone spends an unreasonable amount of time going over all the different scenarios that could arise, then spending more time actually programming it, it still wouldn’t be perfect. Its currently an issue of its just not worth the effort.

If you are really concerned about it misrepresenting the number of tokens you have/win then keep track of running totals, checking your inventory after every boss chest to make sure it matches what it should be for, say, 100 boss chests. If those numbers don’t match up, then we have an issue. If they do match up, then it would be next to pointless for them to fix what is a very minor display issue.

1 Like

As expected, nothing serious and worth fussing about.

2 Yasmine tokens, 2 Yasmine badges in my inventory before the win;
2 Yasmine tokens earned (with “New!” tag, of course);
1 Yasmine medal, 1 Yasmine token after all animations.

If somebody want to worry about what color wallpaper to choose while roof of the house is leaking, by all means, do so, you have every right to do so.

Anyhow, the best way, probably, might be removing “New!” tag from everywhere except when you open chest to get troops - who cares if it’s a new token? who cares if it’s a new orb? It doesn’t matter at all.
But it might (and probably will), however, create new and unexpected problems, so - just leave it be as it now stands.

4 Likes

I do happen to like the new! aspect for orbs, but mainly because

A) It proves Orbs of Chaos are an actual waste of time.
B) It proves that even if you click out of an Orb of Chaos too fast, you’re not losing anything because the result is predetermined.
C) It tells me I got an orb that I actually care about since the only ones I typically 0 out are Major Orb of Glory and Major Orb of Minions.

2 Likes

Agree, re: Orbs.

1 Like

Let me stop you there. No. It wouldn’t. And if you think it would, either you don’t understand the issue or you didn’t understand my “code”.

What? Yes. Because they ARE new. If you had none, and you got some, regardless of the amount, they ARE new. I don’t get what part of that you’ve misunderstood.
You’re literally agreeing my “code” would work correctly and using that as an argument that it wouldn’t, which makes no sense.

Wrong. I already pointed out how to fix it. Either the code is written this way but bugged, in which case it might be a lot of work to find the bug so they might not bother, OR the code is written the wrong way around, in which case they just need to reverse the order of the code and make sure it doesn’t mess anything else up. In theory it wouldn’t, but in this game I wouldn’t assume anything.

To be clear, my issue is that the game should say new whenever you get tokens you already had none of, and it shouldn’t say new whenever you get tokens you already had. Sure, it’s a minor issue and they might never fix it, but it’s annoying to see when it happens and therefore I mentioned it on the off-chance that a minor bug would have an easy fix. I wasn’t expecting a mod to sweep the bug under the carpet and to have to argue over whether it even is a bug, when that seems so obvious to me. But oh well.

1 Like

Thank you for testing this and confirming the bug. It’s good to pin down what’s happening and hopefully it’ll make it easier to fix,if they ever decide to do so.
I’d argue that its more like telling the decorators they’re putting the wallpaper on the wrong walls while standing in a paddling pool to deal with the leaks in the roof, but I take your point that it’s far from the worst issue with the game. I still think it’s worth mentioning, especially since the leaky roof already has a bunch of people in the paddling pool pointing up at it and yelling, so to speak. If it gets fixed, great, and if not, at least it got pointed out and together we figured out what exactly was happening.

I kinda agree about removing the new in some places. Maybe it would be better, but I doubt they will, as they seem to think anything like that is a shiny distraction to keep people playing, and you can’t mess with those.

1 Like

2 tokens, 2 badges (=8 tokens) added 2 more tokens
it shows the progess , 2 evolves (tokens to badge and badges to madel), then, 1 new token (New!), total 3 animations.
it is fine for us as usually seen. if they remove either one of them, we will then feel something go wrong. the problem will loop again.

problem is not the animations. animation can be not sync with real calculation. a lot of games have this kind of animation glitch, but not affect the results. as long as you cant prove calculation goes wrong, dev will not change anything.

what do you expect they should show the token result? likes, 8 tokens and 2 tokens become 1 medal and 1 token. :thinking: