Things that make you angry while playing GoW

I’ll give you that if only because I like to play with metaphor and analogy.

The core issue is the same: there’s a way to lose that is exceptionally frustrating because it defeats the player’s agency and makes GoW feel more like a slot machine than a strategy game. I could very well have used Goblins as an example for that thread. Maybe I should save it for “Why Players Think the AI Cheats Alpha”.

The main difference here is the phenomenon I described in that thread are swift and punishing. The AI has two choices, neither of which looks dangerous but one looks the most promising. It chooses the most benign possible move, then the RNG blesses it with a game win in 2 cascades.

Goblins are not swift. Nobend barely taps you for damage, on average it’s going to hit you for 3-5 damage per turn via explosions or the 25% chance of doing 18 damage. Fizzbang is similar: sometimes she lucksacks into some skull damage. Grapplepot is the damage-dealer, but even with a boost or two it still takes 3 or 4 rounds to start picking off your troops.

So this situation isn’t a long, drawn-out match that ends in one confusing move. It’s a turn 3 Nobend to Fizzbang to Nobend to Fizzbang to Nobend to Fizzbang with a 4-match and a 4-match to Nobend to Fizzbang to Nobend to Fizzbang to Grapplepot to Nobend to Fizzbang to Nobend to Nobend to Nobend to Fizzbang to Grapplepot to Nobend to 4-match to Grapplepot. Then you get to make a move with maybe 2 troops left.

I seriously can’t come up with a reason for the game to allow that to happen even with a low incidence like 1%, unless there’s a consolation prize like an Arcane when it happens.

1 Like

Seen this thread became active again and even if actually dont make me “frustratingly angry” here’s something i can Cry a bit about:

That’s the prize of a lvl 500 fang moor run ended with lvl 6 chest.

Look like trying farm lvl 500 delve is a total waste of time, so am left with 2 choices, try (and then yes getting Frustratingly Angry lol) lvl 500 faction runs or forget delve exist until next faction.

No need to say which one i picked, still suck cuz i kinda love delve :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Someone suggested somewhere that when a delve was beaten at Level 500 that the player would then be able to play at any level for that faction—basically, a reset button for those who’ve earned it.

I loved the idea. Thought I’d bring it up.

I also love the idea of scaling rewards, but I don’t think it’s likely because it’s too easy to bat that down as “economy breaking.”

You simply MUST have a farming faction for when all others reach 500. My fastest time for daily scrolls is total of 9 minutes for 3 full delve clears. Get on average about 250 shards.

Well, to be fair dont really need anymore stuff from delve, got over 1k of both ingots (leg/myth) over 8k saved shards x next new faction, will just be doing it for some fun and to keep hoarding thinghs i dont really need hehe.

But when you see those numbers is depressing.

Prolly is enough if we can have the lvl 500 start at x2 multiplier instead of the x1 it start now.

Don’t you people love it when the enemy kills you’re first slot with skulls, then both assassinate and rising shadows decides to bully you :rage:

3 Likes

To be fair that never happened to me but i did it to AI in pvp (only once), record is in delve tho, Irongut devoured and whole enemy team wiped, was kinda hilarious.

Another funny moment was vs bomb/jar/lust/lust, bomb exploded and took his hero with her :3

Ps: only rising shadow tho, all that happened using thief, my sin class isnt 100 still.

I love getting kicked off server mid delve and finding out I lost the delve attempt. Has happened like ten times

But that’s the point. If his devour is solely based on his attack, which you have to build a team towards to buff, he should be a reliable option. Turning your base 30 or so attack or less to 99 is quite a bit to do just to have it fail. If it was, say, the agile trait and the 20 percent static chance failed, that’d be another story. My point is that it’s not a bias if the person has due cause to expect 99/100 casts would devour SHOULD devour unless a trait is blocking you when you already had to tip the odds in your favor with extra troops

I laughed and cried at the same time. So much pain in this!

That Arcane would be one apologetic gesture from the AI. RNG would still screw up giving you an Arcane that you have in plenty.

Yes you should make a post on this and other helpful game play hints. I for one could use the help the game is much more complicated then just matching gems.

1 Like

I actually did.

I just haven’t messed with it since December. I need to update the class section for sure. But I’m gonna wait to see what Sentinel is like before I do. I think it will be better than Titan but that could change upon release.

Ending Treasure Hunt on something-9 turns (one short of a snotgem), in other words - nine turns wasted.

5 Likes

This happened twice today. Finished off the last tower on invasion (last section the one w 4 towers) only to have a “your device is out of sync w the server” and the game reboots. So I lose the attempt even though I won. Lost whatever awards i would have won. And Lost the sigil. The timing of it drives me nuts. And the reminder of another game (only they did it on purpose and I think this is Murphy’s law type of situation) is annoying. Not I Need To Contact Support annoying but annoying enough.

3 Likes

You need to do a bug report then. If you lose connection with the server then it shouldn’t automatically restart the game. It should just wait until a connection is re-established.

Do you play on multiple devices? If youre playing on for example your pc and open the game on your mobile, the old session on your pc will be out of sync

Nope. Just my phone.

then you should do a bug report for them to investigate and prevent it from happening in the future
I only get that message when i open the game on multiple devices

2 Likes

Is that something I go to support for or do that here