Some upcoming Gems of War changes (including more gems!)

20 from my 3rd battle yesterday, I must be lucky.

1 Like

I’m calling B.S. on the gold increase farse

The predominant allocated gold generation increased is not found on accounts that complete legendary tasks.

OK you want to eliminate/reduce raw currency available for free…I get that.

Legendary tasks can still be a viable gold sink, but atm they are not. They were debatable beforehand as there were very few enticing drops on the table for late game players.

Please change them. Perhaps adding diamond and shards in sufficient amounts to make them worthwhile.

3 Likes

Okay so we will get 400 (150 guild task + 30 shard from guild task + 120 for the color dungeon + 70 for sunday + 30 for shards) free diamonds by week. So 10 weeks before doing a Mythic…
With the Sunday gem pack (80 diamond for 50 gems by week) it’s reduce to 9 weeks (8.3 exactly).
With everyday gem pack (80+120 diamonds for 350 gems by week) it’s reduce to 7 weeks (6.7 exactly).
With both Sunday packs (80+150 diamonds for 50 gems + 5 dollars by week) it’s reduce to 7 weeks 6.3 exactly).
With everyday dollar+gem pack (80+120+150+300 diamonds for 350 gems + 35 dollars by week) it’s reduce to 4 weeks 3.8 exactly).

It means for free every 2-3 months you can craft one Mythic. It seems to me reasonable.

If you want exactly 2 months for 4000 diamonds (I assume here 2 months = 8 weeks), you need to take 8 times the Sunday gem pack and 8 times any other day gem pack so 800 gems on 8 weeks or 100 gems/week.

My advices if to altern every month between:

• Mythics hunting with ressources (2288 glory + 360 gem keys (EDIT: thanks @Mithran) + 12k seals + 2320 gems (I assume you use only 100 gems by week for diamonds)) (so stock them during 2 months)
  • and crafting.

I still don’t understand why no dev explains what I say in the 1st paragraph…

8 Likes

the only problem i see with this crafting system is we are getting less gems so we have to choose between gamble for a mythic during the exclusive week or crafting, you can’t do both cause if you spend all your ressource you can’t craft.

solution is very simple, please drop the gems prices or adjust the number of gems you get for that price, they are so overpriced, im am pretty sure lot of people including me wanted to buy gems but always changed their mind cause we saw the exorbitant price and realise it doesn`t worth it.

1 Like

Or they could just adjust the Chest price of gems since there unwilling to change the $$prices.
One of the most expensive games I have ever played.
For me a motherlode is Au$150 :rofl:

2 Likes

Maybe because people are already claiming that they went full “Flintheart Glomgold” (Yay for the new Ducktales series by the way!) trying to squeze money from the players… Instead of trying to figure out some math behind an almost acceptable outcome on how to craft Mythics and some legendaries.

Also you are excluding any random gems that we can get from tributes wich will help in the long run.

i agree 150$ for 50 vip chest and a very big chance to get nothing really suck, with a motherload i should be able to open at least 200 vip chest

1 Like

I proposed a strategy in my previous post where you could get all the Mythics for free (aside if you’re unlucky): you don’t have to do both, you have to alternate each month your method of dropping the Mythic.

Because we have/had so much free gems, their value is totally underestimated…
Let’s talk about Event keys: we jump from 42 to 24. Now will you try to have 6 copies of every Event-only Legendaries?

Yeah but if devs have given the math, I’m sure that we will have less claim…

I always consider only the ressources that we are sure to have :wink: . If you also consider 8.5 weeks for 2 months (which is closer to reality) you will have the 4000 diamonds by 2 months just by taking the Sunday gem pack with some extra 80 diamonds. So 50 gems by week.

Sniped me earlier, but I came back to add this:
On Monday/Saturday gem bounties give 24 diamonds for 50 gems. This is a mythic every 8333.3 gems. While you can get the one you want, for VIP 5 players, you are also losing resources for the monthly new one at a much cheaper (albeit random) cost of 4500, which also nets you 200k gold, and an ascension troop or two you might need. It makes little sense for VIP 5 players to buy in at this level. For Free to play players, pricing a mythic at about 9k gems, they will get the mythic, but lose out on average 999 other gem key drops. This is fine if you are both capped for the foreseeable future and free to play since you’ll still be able to get what you need (future ascensions for those last random couple legendaries will come a bit slower), but if you arent, thats like 180 runics, 44 arcanes and possibly some troops ascensions you are giving up while chasing that mythic.

You also appear to be overestimating the amount of gem keys we will be getting per month. General consensus is that they will remove the keys from the blue task (35 gem keys) and replace them with gems (250 gems) to be closer to how it was before. We don’t know for sure yet. Given that, you’ll have significantly less gem keys at the end of a 2 month period. The crafting resources in guild tasks for sure I would not consider “free”, considering what was given up to get them which I’m calculating above the stated 20% drop at between 70 and 230 “gem value” depending on which calculation you use (opportunity cost, actual cost in gems, purchasing power) on the relative task values this week to get those 180 diamonds and the fact that putting in 25% more gold cannot recoup the 20% loss.

Or people would still claim that they are giving excuses to conceal their nefarious tactics to steal our money…

Maybe i’m making a huge conjecture about it, and it may sound ludicrous i know, but it wouldn’t be unbelievable if they were expecting someone else, that has no ties with the company, to figure the math behind a “reasonable” (some may disagree…) amount of time to be able to craft a mythic as it would sound more plausible to the current… audience…

Unless of course… You were bribed by them with a huge amount of gems to trick us! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::angry::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m sorry I don’t understand your logic… You consider only the worst diamond/gem ratio (ie Monday/Saturday gem bounties) without taking the Sunday gem bounty (80 gems) and the guild tasks (150/180 if you consider the shards). Why?

My conclusion was to use only 100 gems by week on the bounties. So 2 VIP keys. So VIP5 will have 16 less VIP keys every 2 months to hunt the Mythics.

So many players have everything, able to ascend every new troops the day of their released and for free. So yeah maybe now, we will have to choose between using our event keys/gems to ascend the new Legendary or to keep it for the Mythic hunting. That’s the main difference with before: you cannot have the butter and the money for the butter.

I forget about that. Thanks I edited my post. It’s still 2288 glory + 360 gem keys + 12k seals + 2320 gems… It should be enough for one Mythic… and if not, there is an issue (pity timer?).

You pay them with golds that you can farm in-game so for me it’s free.

I believe that the x4 speed bonus is not the real reason and that devs have to reduce our income. We have to accept it.

2 Likes

My problem with this last topic of discussion is that there are people who weren’t trying to insta-mythic new legendaries as they came out. I spent 522 event keys (330+192) the last two months to get one copy of each. (I did get two Artemas, but they were in a single batch of 50 event keys). The amount of gems – 4 50-packs – I spent in acquiring these legendaries, beyond the event keys I already was receiving, was more than enough for a 50-pack of VIP keys. The reduction in event keys makes it staggeringly less likely that I will be able to get any copies of new legendaries at all. Of course, I can (and will) be saving gems to try for mythic troops, which means spending 800 diamonds fairly frequently to fill gaps that I missed from event chests.

As an aside, I would swear that when the Soulforge came out legendary troops used gems and not diamonds for crafting. Am I imagining this?

1 Like

For the tasks, I was comparing the value of what was lost on the table last week to what was gained after the 20% drop was accounted for.

Gold Keys: lost 21
Glory: gained 72
Glory Keys: gained 19.2
Gems: lost 332
Gem Keys: gained 29.6
Event Keys: lost 9.6
Souls: gained 530
Maps: Gained 1.8

And new:
Diamonds, gained 150, shards gained 3000 which can be crafted into 30 more diamonds (with 300 souls).

Without running any gem value calculations or anything and just looking at the table:
We lost 21 gold keys and gained 230 souls - net loss negligible
We gained 1.8 maps - if they assigned these any actual value, I would be even more irritated. Purchase price comparisons in the cash shop has them at worth 0.2 gems. Net gain negligible at best
If putting the glory to glory keys, we 22.8 glory keys but lost 9.6 event keys. If putting the glory toward event keys, we gained 19.2 glory keys but lost 9.2 event keys. Doesn’t look very favorable to me. In mythic purchasing power alone, event keys are worth 10 glory keys, but a more accurate way to describe them would be as opportunity cost versus lost glory or gems spent on getting additional glory keys if you run out while trying to get a legendary (very few use them on mythics). Highballing and low balling these two resources gets very different values as to what was lost here.
We lost 332 gems and gained 180 diamonds.
332 gems is about 0.074 of a mythic in VIP chests and 0.037 otherwise. 180 diamonds is 0.045 mythics. This is not quite as bad as the ratio of the monday-saturday Gem Bounties when directly compared, but some may consider the loss of event keys and getting glory keys a bigger loss than others.

These values should be zero-sum given that I already accounted for the stated 20% reduction. I would consider them slight net loss for all above the stated 20%, and a bigger net loss for VIP players. I wonder what the average person would think here.

Maybe, maybe not. Speaking in just averages of mythics gained per resource spent, you have 0.2288 for the glory keys, 0.36 from the gem keys, and either 0.5156 or 0.2578 for the gems, depending on your VIP. That leaves seals. These could range anywhere from 0.03 to 0.6 depending on the person (if they have finished ascending all relevant GW/Guardian troops) and if their guild managed to hit 40k seals. Obviously, that is quite a huge difference. So at worst, even giving 100% activity and 100% of relevant resources toward collecting, you might still be behind the collection threshold if you are not VIP, and at best, only slightly above it. If you are VIP, you can get back above the collection by a reasonable margin threshold, while also now taking months to finish new kingdoms, which I’m fine with. However, given the event key scarcity, if you dont put additional resources toward these keys, you might straight miss a legendary also (unlocking, not ascending). The thing is, all this is just to maintain a collection, ie., not miss a drop. You need more than this to be able to get old mythics, the whole purpose of crafting. If you are wasting your crafts to to keep pace with the release schedule, then crafting isn’t going to a whole lot of use for you trying to build a collection in the long run. And if you miss one of the random drops, you could be set back months or even a year. Note that we haven’t considered gems from tributes yet, which will be a huge deciding factor on whether or not this is now possible, as well as weekly events (better not miss one now!) incidentals from keys, etc. If you aren’t a frequent tribute collector, I’m afraid you might be out of luck. Even if you are, your luck has to hold. Get wiped out even once and you might never recover.

I accept it. I’m just going to hold them to that claim when they can make a blanket claim. This was my biggest problem with the guild task re balance in 2.1, the claims of what was gained or lost while not giving the methodology behind it, just some vague relative “gem value” percentage that cannot possibly hold true for the entire playerbase. If it isn’t a 20% loss, they shouldn’t say it is a 20% loss. If this was done specifically to offset 25% increased gold, then putting in 25% increased gold should get you where you were pre-patch (or at least ball park considering the “conversions”). This is not the case for any level of the task that I have seen because they also shifted the rewards around. We were given essentially meaningless numbers.

I’ve always seen diamonds.

3 Likes

My crafting guide was made using beta data, and that always said Diamonds I believe.

Thanks, @Mithran and @Ozball. I am going to attribute my confusion to the very similar appearances of the diamond and gem icons. Otherwise I just look crazy, and we all know that can’t be right.

5 Likes

Really appreciate this post. Makes it seem relatively fair. 2-3 months for a mythic was about what I’d guess. As little as 1 month with spending also makes sense (particularly since they only release 1/month).

Like I’ve said before, the key thing to bear in mind is that the crafted mythic is free. That means you now get 4 free mythics/year and only have to afford 8. Put differently, even if they nerfed the economy by 33% over and above the 4x speed stuff, we’d still be breaking even in terms of mythics/year.

If it really is all about mythics then it actually seems like a net gain for the year. Particularly given that 4 are now guaranteed.

Maybe :slight_smile: .
No of course not. I just did the maths for myself and thought it would be a good idea to share with the community.

You forget the gem keys in your comparison. So glory+gem = event, maybe.
Difficult to compare gems and diamonds when diamonds give you a 100% chance for a Mythic. What do you prefer 4500 gems or 4000 diamonds? Because even with 4500 gems you are not sure of a 100% drop rate. I know that too much well as I spent 6k gems last mythic…

As I said, if not it’s an issue: the deviation seems to me too big. Some players get a Mythic in 50 glory keys and others don’t with 4k gem keys… And that’s why I think we should have a pity timer (even if I really doubt about that)…

For one month. It’s not that hardcore.

Not so much solution for that. Aside if you focus on diamonds, you can have 4000 of them in 6.7 weeks. So every year a free Mythic, yeah… Else you have to give them some dollars to go faster.
And that also means only 360 gems for the Mythic so it will be more difficult to obtain the gambled Mythic…

1 Like

My problem is, that this hits small guilds the hardest. Not everyone in my guild can contribute as much and nerfing the amount of keys we get will slow that down even more.

4 Likes

Small guilds shouldn’t really feel much of a difference at all, provided they switch to increased game speed. I’ve noticed my gold income to go up significantly, playing the same amount of time as before. If you previously got to 7 tasks, you can now easily complete at least 8 tasks, without spending any extra effort. The nerf only really hits you if you were able to complete all tasks, excess gold has been significantly devalued.

1 Like

True. I’d actually value the gem at a bit higher than the lost event keys in the first place, so net gain there. Taking those into account, net gain for non VIP, net loss for VIP. I did include that in my other “gem value” calculation I quoted earlier, though at 180 diamonds for ~70-227 lost gem value. 25% more gold buys you 3.9 legendary tasks, which, by the looks of it, will not get you anywhere close to what was lost. Waiting for more data to run the numbers again while putting in 25% more gold total per week instead of reducing the rewards, and see what rewards that gets you overall. I may or may not try to table out what 25% more gold actually gets you at every step on the Guild Task table. Waiting for next week to be sure, because I’ve already redone this a couple times as new information has come in.

Taking the patch as a whole and not just tasks, a lot of people are going to see a net gain in mythic colelction - not from the tasks, but because dungeons offer crafting components. The crafting components given equate to 0.2345 “free” mythics per month that was not previously available on any reward table. They get a lot less troops total for any given contribution level, but if you can keep up with collection goals this is just less bloat through shotgunning, more useful stuff down the road. All good things. My only concern here is still being consistently above the collection threshold being VIP5 before.

There is no way you can target a legendary just a month after of its release with any sort of reliability. I still haven’t gotten another copy of Sekhma, and we’ve gone through three mythic release periods where she was in chests. The rates are about 1/168 in glory keys, and 1/42 for gem keys, with an additional 1/45 to get the one that you want. Going off gem keys and the current amount of legendaries in the pool, you can be expected to get as many legendaries as there are in the collection on average every 1.89 mythics you get, but their distribution within that is random. Plus, this number increases indefinitely with the age of the game. Also, while we are on the subject, that is one of the inherent problems with the way the system has worked in the past - the shotgunning method often gets you stuff you weren’t even aiming for because there is no way to dial in. So, on average three months after it released, since the mythic immediately following it would not have , and it would not be smart resource allocation to open even a single key outside of mythic exclusive period in the current climate. Maybe faster, maybe slower, maybe waiting all the way until next event or even being forced to craft it.

The gems. Up until the point where I no longer have a scarcity barrier for getting mythics with VIP keys. Once no extra gems would be helpful in the near future (holding pattern with the release cycle while already getting Sunday Gem Bounty every week), the diamonds, because they are more scare and I’ve surpassed all relevant uses for gems that are of equal or greater purchasing power to the 4k diamonds (VIP chests, Sunday Gem Bounty).

On a one month cycle for a VIP 5 player with a decent amount of resources, heres my resource recommendations:
Buy only Sunday Gem Bounty packs. The others are garbage value by comparison. For long term gains, Sunday only.
Clear dungeons every day.
Save all crafting resources for a mythic you actually want to use.
Stop when you get one mythic.
When a mythic releases, if you aren’t doing 40k seals on either week, wait until monday. This gives you the greatest chance of lucking into something you might need to ascend
If you have the seals and are on a 40k week, open them, if not, don’t. There is a tenfold difference in purchasing power dependent on this one factor, the difference between 0.6 mythics on average and 0.06. Open these first. This might delay your ability to ascend guild wars troops down the road, and having guild wars troops on the table also halves the purchasing power of these keys before they are mythic +4. If you are close to mythic +4 on whatever troop is in these chest, be sure to check your collection often so you can ascend all 6 to remove them from the drop pool.
Open gem keys on hand in groups of 50.
If a new kingdom has been released and your rares are not fully ascended yet, open Glory Keys in groups of 50.
Open VIP keys on hand.
Use gems to open VIP keys. Using 10 packs is safer than 50, but lowers your overall purchasing power. Never less than 10, IMO.
If you have less than 5k gems on hand, reevaluate how badly you want the mythic and possibly skip it, otherwise, go back and use your gems and glory keys. Raw glory is not worth spending here unless you really want this specific mythic, right now and I’d clear out gems before resorting to that even.

And you are done. If you have missed this mythic and don’t have 2k diamonds on hand at this point and/or have more missing mythics (not counting Xantheos) as when crafting landed, you are now below the collection threshold.

To facilitate this, may also need to do this:
Never open any key that can drop a mythic on a day where it can’t drop an exclusive mythic. The exception is event keys for getting legendary.
Never target a mythic with event keys. Opportunity cost is too high. Exception is if you also need a legendary in the kingdom.
Open event keys in 10 packs for keys on hand. always stop at 1 copy of any legendary.
If you run out of event keys, purchase them using glory (spoils of war in the shop), not gems. You can get an event key for 180 glory. If you are at the point of scarcity on both gems and glory, you can farm glory, but not gems.
For new kingdoms, only open the bare minimum of event keys to fill out the roster unless the skill bonus is magic and you feel you can reasonably complete it during next mythic push. Open gold keys as you see fit, but ascending commons you wont use won’t do you much good if you can’t get kingdom stars out of it. If you can’t immediately five star, three star is plenty.

4 Likes