Puzzle Quest 3 Announced!

Well that went from excitement to confusion real fast.
I’ve played and loved every PQ game but it being f2p makes it sound much more like something to replace GoW than an actual sequel.

2 Likes

Gems of War is a bloated, aging game, which has gotten increasingly anemic updates for quite a while now. Feels like a dying game.

It’s entirely possible that Puzzle Quest 3 is also the spiritual successor to GoW. Could be a reset button for both franchises.

Of course, they will keep GoW running as long as it’s making money. But, honestly, this announcement confirms my belief that it’s best days are likely in the past.

Might be time to abandon GoW, and wait for the new game to replace it.

4 Likes

All I want to know is, will I have some sort of shoutout in the game?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.infinityplustwo.tinyquest

Free to play game that didn’t replace GoW nor make a dent in it really. The price structure was designed completely different. My hope is PQ3 will be the same thing. But I understand, that’s not as sexy as being able to predict the end of Gems of war for the next 9-11 months.

1 Like

I’d be shocked if PQ3 didn’t come to consoles.

Also request if I may since this will be a free to play game please please enable some cross play where are I can access my account regardless of platform I’m playing on.

1 Like

I hope hope hope it’s a F2P game with abusive P2W features. Man, that’d be super sweet. Play Store has NONE of these right now.

3 Likes

“This morning 505 Games announced Puzzle Quest 3 , a free-to-play sequel that takes place 500 years after the original.”

So no matter what happens, this impacts Gems of War users significantly. IP2 was already a small staff which will now be split across 2 different Free to Plays.

Since PQ3 will be the new feature, most of IP2 will be focused on PQ3 having a strong release (rightfully so), while leaving a bare minimum skeleton crew to make sure Gems of War doesn’t fall apart and is still running.

The exact opposite will happen from the quote. PQ3 will get all of the new exciting big update to draw in and keep new players. Gems of War will be lucky to see anything larger than Daily Offers and Warbands and the likes.

Wouldn’t it be convenient for them if Gems of War players migrated to PQ3 and GoW was quietly retired? Just a thought.

That being said, I’m not surprised at all that Puzzle Quest 3 was announced. Salty has been streaming Puzzle Quest 1 for about a year now, I think. If it was going to be Warlords/a new IP… I doubt PQ would have been streamed. (my opinion). The F2P is a bit of a surprise to me, since it cannibalizes a bit of their own market. However, Salty has stated multiple times that they find Live Service games easier to manage.

Will Puzzle Quest 3 be fun and successful? I hope so.

8 Likes

Just remember all that they say about the future of GoW is propaganda. They still want you spending money.

2 Likes

@Ghaleon unfortunately cross play is still largely prohibited by legal issues and platform restrictions. There are some notable exceptions (Fortnite…) but they are exceptions for a very big (profitable) reason.

If it becomes possible we will jump on any crossplay!

I also wanted to confirm that we aren’t abandoning Gems of War. In fact, someone mentioned us being a small team, and yes this is technically correct… But we did expand when we started PQ3, so we aren’t quite as small as we used to be. Gems of War will continue to be updated for the forseeable future, we have no plans to sunset the game anytime soon. We love Gems of War, so it isn’t going anywhere.

14 Likes

The only micro transaction that should ever be in a Puzzle Quest game is the ability to permanently keep leapgates open in Galactrix so you never have to do that terrible hacking mini game again.

3 Likes

Amen to that.

From the PR release statement, the game is still using the 1 vs. 1 combat method that PQ is known for.

As the game is F2P, what would even monetizable in a standard PQ game?

– Have an energy system that needs refilling (base fixed number of actions per day; a horrible idea IMO)?
– Use a gacha system to obtain party members for their bonuses (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 kind of went this route, so maybe)?
– Use a gacha system to obtain hero(ine) equipment (common items can still be bought in shops, but things like Greater Troll Rings are legendary/mythic drops from a paid gacha; plausible)?
– Similarly, use a gacha system for obtaining weapon/armor enhancement augments? (plausible)
– Consumables for boosts (similar to potions in GoW events, also plausible)?

Of course, that would be that the game would need to be tuned to encourage or expect such purchases from players. Such is the nature of F2P games, so any of the above would be fair game to include in PQ3 as a F2P title.

Its a sequel, they could do whatever they want to expand the system. They even have Gems of War to draw from, and probably will leave things like Tributes out of the game.

Equipment, party members, early access to skills, extra xp/gold boosts etc. the choices are pretty limitless for them at the moment.

They’ll probably have a never ending game loop as well.

2 Likes

Yay

Equipment, companions, stat points if they wanna bring the temple back, mounts, extra crafting tries…

Please Fawkner no. :slight_smile:

Maybe?

Probably this.

Definitely this.

Would not be an F2P game without this.

Or GoW and sales of PQ:TLR make it so they don’t need to do as many of these bull :poop: systems.

1 Like

From the press release of the sale of IP2, I believe it is 20 staff atm.

1 Like

It’s been abandoned for months already. I guess PQ3 is where the devs were really dumping their creative efforts all along while pushing the monetization on GoW to the max. Getting as much as they can before letting the boat sink.

10 Likes

The only thing working GoW is the gerbil who rolls the dice on the medal bonus and troop selection each week. :stuck_out_tongue: He’s been grumpy lately.

6 Likes

According to Salty on Twitter, that’s what she spent 2020 doing. It shows

7 Likes

So basically Salty is the McEnany of the gaming world?

Since few patches we get nothing new, just small tweaks. Then suddenly PQ3 is announced, so it is obvious that most of your effort was going to develop PQ3.

Are you going to develop new features on GoW? New features like Delve, not like Arena rework/Warband/etc. You know some original features that we can play.

9 Likes