[PREVIEW] 5.0.0 Update Breakdown and Discussion

This has been the principle the game was built on so far. No matter whether you spent money, time or a mix of both, you could earn everything.

This part is incorrect. People paying $125 a year won’t get the extra stats first, they get the extra stats exclusively. No matter how much effort the people not paying $125 spend, they won’t ever get this specific stat advantage. Which, by the way, exactly matches the definition of Pay-to-win.

7 Likes

I’m curious when the update will only be released on July 14th or earlier. It would be nice to know something specific because everyone is excited.

We (particularly I) specifically asked about this in the Beta, and were told they couldn’t guarantee this. :confused:

I’m hoping it will be the case, but remains to be seen.

4 Likes

I agree that Guild Wars has a special place in the game, but I wouldn’t say it would make many people quit if it only engages players the top 30 guilds at best.

“You don’t have to do it” is technically true but almost all of the top B4-B15 guilds still shove you to play even if they don’t care about competing. Maybe we can argue that’s the GM’s responsibility though.

1 Like

@Fourdottwoone

They will have that stat advantage for a max of 5 out of 10 campain weeks:

week free pass(max points) elite+ pass(max points) diff with stats*
1 100 120 0
2 200 240 0
3 300 360 0
4 400 480 0
5 500 600 +5 life
6 600 720 +2 magic
7 700 840 +2 magic
8 800 960 +3 Attack
9 900 1080 +5 life
10 1000 1200 0

Campain weeks 5 to 9, will be those where elite+ might have adventage, so basicaly 1, maybe 2 GW weeks.
But these players wont have that advantage permamently, they will have to pay to sustain it.
Also this stat advantage wont be HUGE*-> 5 life, 3 attack or 2 magic…

'* based on the stats given in this thread

9 Likes

xpost here on the chance it gets buried in the other thread

10 Likes

Meaning there is at least one GW week where paying money gives you an exclusive advantage over players not paying money. In a game mode with the only purpose of teams competitively fighting against each other. Pay to win.

Meaning it’s not even a one time payment, it’s targeting players willing to regularly drop money for an advantage over those that don’t pay. Pay to win.

2 Likes

Those stats are incorrect.
If I remember right it’s 20 life - 5 armor - 6 attack - 6 magic.

Every campaign will have different artifact stats evidently.

It’s the extra stats you temporarily get when paying $25 for the Elite+ Pass. Over those that only own the Free Pass or Elite Pass.

1 Like

Cool.
Then there’s no incentive to do more than $10. :man_shrugging:
The advantage seems to be less than what people get from maxing out sentinels. Which even in bracket 1. Not everyone does. So maybe Saltys right. The difference is super marginal all in all.
Since E+P can only ever be a compound of 20 stars over free pass each week.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest… originally I was on the understanding that the stat bonuses would be exclusive to the players who buy passes.
But thanks to @Sytro
I can’t believe there’s this much discussion over such a low amount of stats.
There’s probably players in my guild last GW who have 10-20 less life than me due to my kingdoms being max starred and there’s aren’t.
Or I have a higher renown.
Or I have more level 15 kingdoms.

Ridiculous folks. Honestly ridiculous.

4 Likes

Many players think that if they lose a Guild Wars match that it will be due to their opponent buying elite pass plus.
Now imagine the player that buys elite pass plus and think they can’t lose, and then they lose.

1 Like

They arent only in top 3 brackets though. There are players who only play for GW in a lot lower brackets trying to move up.

Artifact stats were placeholders. Uncertain what the actual benefit will be.

1 Like

@Lorien1973
yeep, it’s to be seen, what will be stats and how much jump there will be between levels 5-9, but i guess, that artifacts stats gained on levels can be manipulated in a way, that the only differance in stats in GW weeks will be let’s say: 5 life…(or something even more marginal like +1 life/armor/attack) requires some work, but can be easily done (seeing as it applies to week 5,6,7,8,9 and GW have fixed time for weeks)

Anyways i can see guilds trying to do all new 16tasks on monday in GW week to have that slith advantage in stats over those who didn’t do these task. I can also see people complately ignoring the campain after GW, if it was last GW during campain (so weeks 7 and up)

Minor stat bonuses won’t change your GW result. If you lose to a team with an extra 2 magic or 3 attack, you were going to lose to that team anyways.

This game has so much overkill in it; that the minor stat bumps are near- irrelevant.

3 Likes

Agree, in some very rare situations, having that 1 life point and being able to cast troops spell can be a battle winner. But these are very rare, and usually there are other factors that had bigger impact than the stats themselves.

1 Like

For a final, and perhaps irrelevant comparison, our 4th highest score was by a recent Lvl 1000 Vanguard with +9, +12, +19, and +17 bonus stats.

So he outscored the Paragon and other Champion despite having the same number of losses but fewer stats not only due to the GW Sentinel boost but also lack of Kingdom/Delve progression.

I remember getting mad at Soldiers in b1 who wouldn’t even spend the 2000 souls to get +2 Magic. But if they were going to go 2/3 regardless, I guess +2 Magic wasn’t going to help much anyway.

Thanks all for the breakdown and discussion. I am looking forward to a hopefully bug-free release. Okay, perhaps only a few minor bugs, and an insignificant exploit or two that is resolved prior to the next GW.

The tasks sound like fun, as long as there is a good variety.

Overall, I think the passes are a good direction for game monetization, moving away from (legally imperilled) RNG systems.

My biggest criticism / suggestion: Artifact bonuses should not be active for GW battles. I say this as someone who will likely buy the Elite+ passes. I just don’t want to see a situation where competitive guilds make those purchases mandatory.

7 Likes

Being forced to do tedious “fetch-it” quests week after week just to get a temporary stat boost for guild wars suuuucks. It already seems like we get a list of chores to do on a daily basis. Have fun watching your stats drop by 37 every 11 weeks. You are going to feel like a mouse on a wheel.

1 Like