Pet events are WAY too short

I think that’s great for you, really. But, as a similar example: at the very least the GM and I both played PvP for hours and couldn’t get a single Rescue to activate yesterday, because we couldn’t find a single pet gnome. And, I’m willing to bet at least one other person in our 30 people guild was doing PvP as well.

Honestly, I feel the triggers/spawn rates for them are terrible, even worse than regular gnomes. I think the one hour window is ridiculous (especially for console players). I also think the battle stats get beyond insane. And, the only ones that really benefit from these Rescues are Big Players in Top Guilds that are hardcore PvP-ers and either have an abundance of gems or the strongest cards.

The mid level players and guilds will do okay, just okay. And the little guys will have a snowballs chance in the desert at getting these things. Much like every other game mode that’s arrived to this game in the past few months. If you’re not a Big Player in a Top Guild that has resources to burn like mad, you’re left out in the cold.

Ironically, things like pet bonuses and orbs are the most beneficial to early/lower level players to get that extra boost in stats and resources, but they have the most trouble getting these things. Doesn’t seem right to me. But, what do I know?

I only play once or twice a day, and I really like the pet events as they are, so far. They’re not overwhelming, but I’ve still gotten a couple, and they’ve been completely clearable in the time I had. They’re a fun, cute little diversion, and then you go back to whatever else you were doing.

I enjoy the system as-is. My only complaint is that having to re-make your team and banner every time is nonsense, and that all needs to persist.

6 Likes

I feel like they could afford to tone down Battle 7/8 a little or at the very least scale their power levels to the team power level that someone has (so someone with a 7k team has a slightly less boosted battle 8 then someone with a 10k team)

Then again, lots of people were saying the Dungeons was too easy, so this could be their response to that.

The pets do help low levels the most, but they can’t complete them. If they’re desperate for a specific pet, they could buy it for 175 gems (saved up). A low level with the Dragon’s Claw pet or Divine pet would have multiple kingdoms worth of stat boosts from just owning it.

In the mean time, it’s not hopeless.

A lower level could use:

Hero + Mang ( level 200s? been a long time since I had Mang) and treat it like Raid/Invasion. Hit a Mang, and skull the enemies before they can win.

The Great Maw, Infernal King, Sheggra, Mercy… the old fashion devour on turn 1 and skull bash for the win team. Retreat if Mercy doesnt have alignment.

Alchemist, Hellcat, Goblin Rocket, Goblin Rocket: I think was the loop forever team? I have a slight variation of it on standby for Guild Wars… Takes practice to run, but hits forever?

or… be creative? other choices out there. Guild Guardians get kinda outta control with enough time to cast and so on.

At worst, the other 7 baskets have a random chance of giving a pet when its opened, so any battle won could still be rewarding.

2 Likes

This separates “hardcore” GoW players from “casual” players in a way that few game features have.

To “maximize” usage of pets, you need to be on-call and online practically all day. Nothing else in GoW has been so time-sensitive. Even raids/invasions don’t really punish you if you can’t spend all your sigils until the weekend.

I can be on-call all week, but I found Tuesday super distracting from my job and that can’t stay. So I’ll probably pay less attention to pets in the near future. Unfortunately, the pet notifications being buggy means I can’t trust that if I pop online to check tribute I can know if a pet’s around.

So while I think I probably have more access to pets than the average player, what I have to do for that makes me uncomfortable and I doubt I’ll continue. I like the idea of how this is implemented but it’s perhaps better if it has a 4-hour window or something like that and slightly upward-tweaked rewards to make up for lower frequency.

What if…
You have 1h to complete a 6h event?
Like: guild triggers a pet hunt.
For the next 6h, each guild member can « start his event », and has 1h to complete it.

I felt the same way leading up to the actual release but now see that it is fine as it is. This meant to be a guild event in that you probably won’t get a lot of pets if you aren’t in a 30 person guild. And as with all team events, that’s how it should be. This was designed for multiple people, not solo.

With that said, sometimes I’m at work, or sleeping, or whatever and I miss a pet. Okay, that sucks. You can be in a hardcore guild that triggers an event every time one expires, but that doesn’t mean you need to DO all of them yourself. I have a life, other hobbies, and a few pets to boot.

4 Likes

This! As with treasure gnomes people are missing the point. Pet bonuses are tiny because they are a diversion and not meant to be game breaking. We’re not all supposed to be able to finish every triggered event or max them all out immediately.

Of course it’s a system that benefits those who plug away nonstop in guilds with many highly active people - as it should. I’m in an active (but not machine-like) guild and I’m absolutely ok with not being available for every triggered event or getting every one this 1st week they’re active.

The whole reason for having inequality of rewards (which it really isn’t since if you play harder or more frequently you should expect to receive twice as much reward as someone doing half the amount as you), is so those who can’t or don’t want to put in the time can spend some money to catch up if they want. Why would anyone play more if they could just sit back & get the same rewards as everyone else regardless of how much or little they played?

If your co-worker is going to get paid the same as you for doing half the work, I suppose that would be ok to everyone? Or all Olympic competitors each get a gold medal regardless of how they place? It’s a game to be sure but it would cease to be fun for most people if there was nothing that they can achieve above & beyond others. Half of this game revolves around bragging rights as to who accomplished something faster or better.

2 Likes

But that is not how it works, is it?
Whether or not you personally play more or even better than me is completely irrelevant, when the random trigger is shared by the whole guild which is the whole point of the disconnect, how is that so hard to understand?
I can’t say for sure, but i’d assume i invested at least as much if not more time than you in playing the game yesterday and still got significantly fewer pets than you.
Your whole “co-worker does less work and gets the same” argument is actually directly arguing against this system.

1 Like

“Play more, get more” is really not what we can expect here. I’m just surprised by so much players using this irrelevant argument.

If you are playing 3-4 hours but alone in your time area, you’re screwed. If you play a little, in the good time area where a lot of your guild members are playing, you will get much more pets.

Devs already gave their answer: they will put filter to find a guild located in your time area…

If you playing 3-4h and you alone, you are clearly not in the best guild for you

I said “alone in your time area”.

I’ll try to convey this as succinctly as possible, since I already touched on it pre-patch. Its not that the time window is too short, it is that the trigger can let one appear at any time. The problems with this are:

• The system disproportionately rewards being able to drop everything for 10-15 minutes at intervals scattered throughout the day to play the game rather than the same amount of time but in a static block of your choice.
  • The game did not have this sort of playtime “incentive” for years, and people were vocally against there being one.
  • Endgamers that have been checking off requirement boxes for months on months to keep up with the status quo have this as the only way to move forward

This is not a “you put in your time, you get your rewards issue”. It is about the game having a complete upheaval of a long held core design practice of putting in only very soft requirements for time sensitive content (accentuated by the concession to move guild wars to a weekly system before it was released). It is difficult to express the frustration that comes with a game telling you “okay, you can play like this” and then going “no WAIT, play like this instead or you miss out on this entire section of the game!” Its another system I get to watch pass by from a distance while sitting on my tens of thousands of gems wishing they would put in a system that I’m allowed to interact with without treating the game as my priority in life.

Also, and this is just a pet (ha. ha.) peeve, but this is not even a good way to use an activity hook system. You don’t need to add an extra “hook” targeted at endgamers in a patch 3 years into the game. You “hook” early gamers to establish a pattern of play, you ramp these slowly to get them to pay to maneuver around the hooks (usually in amounts small enough to rationalize), and you level off these as they move into endgame while moving your efforts toward the whales willing to still drop big bucks but while keeping the game moderately satisfying. Too many hooks (and/or the monetization requirements around “continuing” with the game) lead to burn out among the non-whales, thin the herd, and don’t give whales enough other players to measure against, which requires you to monetize entirely toward player turnover and beginning “ignorance” purchases and maybe get into a phase where they won’t quit due to sunk cost aversion. And this one, again, isn’t even monetized correctly to support this, it is just a generic gem sink. You can’t put gems toward getting a specific pet, only toward leveling up or increasing the level cap on one you already got the event for, and only for the hour while it is running. Its hard for me to even guess at what kind of development goal they were even attempting for the game by implementing it in this fashion other than “well, this looks sufficiently irritating to interact with, so maybe people will pay to try to speed it up”.

tl;dr: The game didn’t need another activity hook, particularly not for endgamers. Stop trying to put my playtime in a box.

13 Likes

I always like Mithran’s posts.

I like it when this game lets me play it in chunks of time I choose. I don’t like when it tries to dictate the times I play.

I like everything else about pets but I don’t want to pop out to the bathroom at a party, check tribute, then hnnngggg at a pet and not be able to spend the 15 minutes or so getting it.

1 Like

Tldr;

Devs please ignore mithran,
Pets are fine like they are and the one hour pet rescue works great.

5 Likes

What I don’t care about the real short pet events is I’m being commanded by the game that if I’m going to take advantage of the event I HAVE to do it now. IT’s trying to override anything else in the game or in real life. I don’t mind the concept of a time frame, but it needs to be long enough so it’s not the mindless reaction of if I’m going to do it I have to do it NOW.

I have 11 pets it took me no more than 15 minutes to get each one. 1 hour time limit means you can get 24 pet chances a day. If you add more time to the events you reduce the number of potential events as well.

2 Likes

i played an hour and a half pvping and got nothing.

4hrs later and people had 4 , play for a couple of hours picked up a couple cuz of launch events.

winning is irrelevant, trophies are irrelevant - its solely on when they are up on servers.

as a disincentive to play its remarkable, because its not based on performance, skill or any accomplishment save being connected at the right time.

you can have 2x as many trophies as anyone else and never trigger 1 pet event.

Rather sums up what the game has become…

1 Like

I got 3 pets yesterday by playing for 3 periods of consecutive 1h of casual PVP spread during my day.

I was the one that triggered the pet event yesterday, all 3 of them.

My guild is not that very active.

I was getting a pet gnome every 50-75 fights

It took me 200 fights to found my first treasure gnome though…

1 Like

You were lucky, I’ve played 5 or more hours of PvP during the 2 days after the update and got only 1 pet gnome.

1 Like

But how many fights did you won in those 5 hours?