[Not a bug - Tech Issue] GoW crashes which I switch apps to text

Platform, device version and operating system:
Android 7.0, on a Moto G4

Screenshot or image:
Not available.

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
This has happened twice this week: I get a text while in a battle and switch to my texting app (Anywhere) to respond. I then switch back to Gems of War, but the game restarts. The first time happened on Tuesday, I was on the last battle of the Faction Assault and it counted that as a loss. Today it just happened again while I was doing a Guild Wars battle, and it counted that as a loss. :frowning:

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
This has actually been happening off and on for a while, but this week it was especially bad, since I lost a lot of time from the Faction Assault (I had cleared all the rooms) and I lost a Guild Wars battle.

Steps to make it happen again
I haven’t tried to make it happen on purpose, so I’m not sure if I can. I’m going to try to resist immediately responding to texts while in battles, I guess. :frowning:

This is most likely not a problem with the app, but with your device’s RAM management. Android 7 is a bit old now so I don’t know about specific settings in that OS, but in modern version of Android you can go to Battery settings and specify which apps to ‘optimize’. Turning off optimization means the OS is less likely to close it to free up RAM and will leave it running in the background.

4 Likes

I had a similar issue years ago and was able to get it resolved thanks to @Cyrup.
I suggest you submit a technical issues ticket and they should be able to help you out from there.

1 Like

Are you running any other Apps, especially background tasks?

I used to have this problem on my old Moto G because it would just run out of memory space, so would wipe over the space that GoW was using :frowning:

1 Like

The others are correct, this is to do with your operating system’s memory management.

We suggest updating to the latest Android version possible on your device and ensuring you force close any other apps running in the background, particularly Facebook and Discord as they’re quite memory hungry.

Your phone basically exits any app in the background when it wants to free up memory for your active app.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, everyone. I’ll just have to not switch apps while in a battle.

I thought that was the case for me as well. But I was mistaken. If your phone is an old model then yeah that may be your only choice. In most cases you should be able to text or use discord on your phone while playing GoW without it crashing. But it definitely depends on the phone. I can only speak to Samsung S9+ ability to use multiple apps.