Frequent Crashing on Android Oreo

Please check the known issues list before posting a bug.

Platform, device version and operating system
Motorola Moto G5 Plus - Android 8.0.0

Screenshot or image
Images not applicable.

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened
I am experiencing frequent freezing and crashes, resulting in a “Gems of War has stopped.” message with a Send Feedback button, which I have narrowed down to occurring only on screen transitions or when new graphics load (when a battle starts or ends, when I access the troop menu, sometimes when accessinv other menu).

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
This bug has been occurring for a while now, about since the 3.3 update was released. Reinstalling the game did not resolve the issue.

Steps to make it happen again
The issue occurs almost never during Explore battles, but occurs very frequently in PvP battles, about once every 2 or 3 matches. It also occurs 100% of the time if I access the troop list and start scrolling.

Note that this is not a device storage issue (25 GB free on internal storage).
I thought this may be a RAM/memory issue, but switching from High to Low does not alleviate the issue, and 2 GB of RAM should be powerful enough to run any application with a competent level of optimization.

1 Like

Hey @EliteMasterEric sorry for the delayed reply.

We’ve received reports from a handful of players with Motorola Moto G5 Pluses having this same issue.
The phone is new and the hardware is decent so we have no immediate answers as to why players with this device are having issues.

It does appear to be related to the phone itself and the hardware should be able to handle Gems of War easily but please try putting your graphics settings to low and ensuring you close all apps running in the background to see if it improves Gems of War’s performance.

I’d love to hear if this helps at all as it may help us work out what is causing this issue with GoW on the Motorola Moto G5 Plus.

Reducing graphics settings and turning off other apps does not alleviate the crashing.

However, I was able to connect my device to the Android debugger and get the crash log:

The error seems to be a segmentation fault of some kind. It may be an issue with Unity in general, but I haven’t experienced this crashing in other apps, so I’m not sure.

It says Xiaomi/sagit/sagit:7.1.1/NMF26X/V8.2.17.0.NCACNEC:user/release-keys

It might be that GoW have difficulty to run on mobiles that uses MIUI as well as android. I have the same problem as you and I have an Xiaomi mobile.

I sent in a ticket some time ago about this, and here was some of the answer I got:
The development team has looked into the issue. We have discovered that your devices operating system comes standard with some specific Rom/plugins (MIUI as you have mentioned), which unfortunately seem to be the cause of your issue.

I also got some troubleshooting tips, but none of them worked for me.