Noisy Neighbors

Need just to dump goblin, gobtruffle, thief and turnip in the same pot with stringfiddler and you get a potential turn 1 looper. Leafstorm + goblin’s nature link+gobtruffle, turnip+50% mana start = win.

And turnip spawns 24 gems and hits for 68 dmg due to 4x goblins.
Gobtruffle fills himself, stringfiddler (both green) AND turnip (brown).

Alternatively, just use an actual event layout.

Toadsqueezer, gobtruffle, stringfiddler, thief/turnip. Highly effective and basically unstopable if/once toad hits the enchant.x

didn’t take very long to nerf it again lol

Will there be a Medal of Norbert?..

Not a chance!

I’ve just done a Level 12 Explore Run with:

Forest Troll
String Fiddler
King Gobtruffle
Leprechaun

Trident banner

3 x Medal of Cedric

I completed one battle with an 18 turn loop and the opposition never even got a move!!

This is utterly ludicrous.

Maybe that’s sort of the point. MAGA is a callback to a nostalgic United States that never actually existed except in the imagination of a generation that grew up to fetishize it. It relies on ignoring some of America’s strongest decades (economically, socially, AND diplomatically speaking) to sell the idea that we all had it better a long time ago, and if we’d only take care of THOSE PEOPLE (nudge nudge, wink wink) who are making it bad then we’d get back that nostalgic time that never existed. Its status as a dog whistle is often revealed when you examine its premise that to bring America back to the state where it had high corporate taxes, government control of manufacturing, labor rights, and pensions we must fight hard against the sinful liberal ideals of high corporate taxes, government control of manufacturing, labor rights, and access to benefits. Oh. And maybe be more careful about who we let vote. Can’t be a fair democratic election if we let Goblins have a say.

So it’s a bad-taste joke, sort of like #TheFinalSolutionToTheGoblinProblem. It brings to mind the same feelings #NotAllGoblins or #GoblinLivesMatter might. Human suffering’s pretty funny, so this is a really versatile way to call back to it. If I offended anyone, I’m sorry, but they can’t argue we don’t have enough discussion of ethics in Goblin journalism.

4 Likes

All you need is love. But a little goblin now and then doesn’t hurt.

(If anyone can figure out the quote :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

Stringfiddler now does (magic /4) +1 explosions, that happen before release or after?

Honestly? Just leprechaun is enough too usually. But yeah, for this one, the empowered purple converters also work. If I can line up a Moonsinger, I’m already more inclined to just use Essence of Evil. I suppose I could use all three, but I probably want to stack more damage. Empowered purple into generation chain is something not frequently used right now.

Right now, the Turnip is looking a lot more busted as far as synergies go. Though Stringfiddler is pretty good with the Turnip. Fast Thief/Turnip into Stringfiddler into just whatever goblins you have. Three goblins on the team is usually enough if you want to try counterplay and other builds.

Unfortunately, I probably won’t be able to experiment with team building around the other concepts (non-goblin) until later this week.

Yeah, but this was already pretty trivial to do with the tools available. Even at lower stats and lower levels. At the point we are “Can win versus 2.5x strength opponents without dropping a turn without much thought” just isn’t a benchmark for “broken” anymore. Like, any variant of the team you posted using a different troop instead of Stringfiddler. Explore is all about match time optimization. What was your time?

And the PvP meta is about match time optimization once you have a winning team, and getting a winning team is about being able to control the match quickly fro the start. Your “quick control” gambit here is “leprechaun with green storm”, which would also work for stuff like Essence of Evil, The Maraji Queen, Doomed Glaive, or even Skeleton Key on the team by putting Gobtruffle second and using that as your initial cast… leprechaun with greenstorm into Gobtruffle works most of the time, and chains into forest troll and back after that.

I’m seeing lots of Stringfiddler with goblin spam, which is obviously just going to spam spells until they get unlucky if they aren’t frozen with a greater degree of reliability than the Fizzbang/Nobend chain did.

I’m not arguing hes not “good”, or even “top 1%”.

What I’m asserting is that for this troop to be considered “broken” in concept at this stage of the game as I asserted in the past for similar designs (ie., the concept of a guaranteed mass exploder with a guaranteed extra turn always gaining board advantage on both good and bad board drops and thus only ever stopping casting if it can’t explode enough gems or hits a “neutral” board and runs out of mana), it would need to be shown that this alone is dominant with other combinations. Like if Stringfiddler started leaking its way into other meta teams that don’t involve goblins and it made them “better” even with less direct synergy (like if I had a quick brown gen team, and stringfiddler was still optimal both in turns to get control and overall match time, that might be a problem, or seeing total lockdown with stringfiddler become popular on defense) We have a ton of acceleration and generation options at this point, most of which only have to be cast a few times in any given match, and generally hit an extra turn with a storm involved and are far enough ahead by the time they drop a turn to be dominant. Adding more casts when you don’t have to just slows you down.

The whole goblin “concept” of “extra turn everything” just makes for some unpleasant goblin scenarios and thought-free play… which might not necessarily be “bad”, unless it overtakes everything because it is also optimal (either on offense or defense). But I’m more in favor of the gem spawner streak code being repealed so that other spawners are less risky than “goblins op, plz nerf”.

Would be nice if you could expect freeze to reliably stick for one turn every time, though. Oh, and silence is obnoxious, and he doesn’t really need it.

2 Likes

I only picked Explore because I wanted a hard battle that was easily accessible.

I’ve now used the same team to rinse through multiple PvP battles and, ironically, the only one that wasn’t a straightforward win with the enemy barely getting a turn in was the 4 x Firebomb ones because they all start empowered!

around 30 mins after release. my timing might be foggy, it could have been up to an hour.

I just remember posting this after downloading something, then noticing Stringfiddler was less consistent.

40% chance for an extra turn? Stackable of course.

I was wondering what nerf you were referring to lol (it’s not posted on taransworld yet).

Nerfing the mana gen makes some sense. I still think Stringfiddler’s going to be quite good.

I’m surprised that people are excited about Toadsqueezer too. I guess he’s a better Fizzbang, but is he reliable enough for non-event use? It would be hard for me to dump a guaranteed exploder or converter in favor of him. I’m definitely curious on what kinds of builds people come up with, but he seems a bit risky to rely on (at least on offense).

The art is really good for both troops.

I have problems with introducing more goblins, particularly good ones, but this art is really good. More please.

Toadsqueezer works perfectly with turnip and gobtruffle.
And as it gains 1 magic each time ally casts spell, it just hits harder the more gobtruffle loops.

Stringfiddler seems to have been ninja-nerfed from 13 to 14 mana. This mean he’s eligible for refunds, right? Could we get some word how invested medals will get handled? The Dev Q&A Stream yesterday mentioned this will be looked at once the issue arises, which appears to be right now.

1 Like