New Feature: My Collection on Gems of War Database

Hi everyone,

I’ve added a new feature to the Gems of War Database called “My Collection”. This feature is intended to help players track their progress against traitstone and soul investments for their Hero. As new troops are added to the game, they’ll be automatically added to the list as well when I import them into the troop list pages.

Signing in
To sign into the site, click the “Sign In” button on the top menu, or follow this link:
http://ashtender.com/gems/account/signin

On first use, you’ll be redirected to the registration page. You will need to provide a username and password, as well as an email address that is used only for password reset purposes. After creating your account, you’ll get an email with a link to click to confirm the email address.

Once you’ve confirmed your email address, and you’ve successfully signed into the page, you will see a new dropdown on the menu that allows you to access your collection, or to sign out. A direct link to the collection is here:
http://ashtender.com/gems/collection

The collection should be (sort of) localized as well for the other languages (as well as any of my tables are, I suppose) and a console version is available here:
http://ashtender.com/gems/console/collection

My Collection

The collection page looks a lot like the other table pages on my site, with a few differences.

The name and kingdom columns are informational, allowing you to group by either name or kingdom as per usual. The heart column lets you “earmark” troops, allowing you to set a custom filter by using the topmost checkbox in the column. The next three columns are for data entry and this is where you can enter the rarity, level, and trait count for each troop. It’s a bit tedious to do it by hand, especially on first use – more about that later, though. The last two columns are again informational, displaying the remaining cost in souls and traitstones for any troops that are not yet level 20 and fully traited. All columns are sortable and filterable, like the other tables in the GoW DB.

Checklist

To the right of the table is a “checklist” of outstanding traitstones and souls, so you can track your progress as you go:

The checklist is always visible if the browser window is large enough, but for smaller windows or mobile devices, you’ll need to click the “Checlist” button above the table to make it show. Clicking any of the traitstones will set a filter to the traitstone column, showing you exactly which troops still require the traitstone in question.

Export / Import via CSV

The page will save its data automatically after it detects changes to any field. To make a local backup and protect the time you put into meticulously entering your data, I strongly recommend you occasionally save the result as a CSV and keep the copy locally as a backup. To do so, click the “Tools” button on the table header, and then export to CSV. To import it, just click the “Import” button and browse to the backup file. I cannot stress this enough: please save your progress on occasion, or I might accidentally delete it all as I’m fixing bugs!

In addition to a backup, the CSV can be imported into a spreadsheeting program like Google Docs or Microsoft Excel to be able to quickly bulk-edit entries, which is a great time-saver for those who are so inclined. If you are interested in this but don’t know how to set it up (Google Docs are free), let me know and I can send out instructions.

Not Yet Implemented

Features left to be done:

• Kingdom progress (power level) is not yet represented anywhere;
  • Integration with the rest of the site (e.g, graying out troops you don’t own or showing actual troop levels/ascension rarity in teams).

Thank You

Thanks to the many forum users (too many to list here) that volunteered their time to help test the feature! The many suggestions and bug reports were invaluable in helping hone the feature to where it is.

Enjoy!
Lyya

43 Likes

Thanks for all your hard work. It is appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I’m a fairly new GOW player but I often use your database, really astounding work.

Is it possible to have the console filter ? If not, that’s still fine for me, I’ll just do a fine tuning and mark all PC exclusive troops as obtained :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s linked above: http://ashtender.com/gems/console/collection

Edit: Well, it’s giving an error ATM – whoops. Will fix it tomorrow!

Oh wow, really late at night here, but I’ll need to check this out later. :slight_smile:

“Password must include at least one number.”

Please remove these limitations. This is not my bank account, I don’t need you to protect me from myself. Even if someone discovers my ‘easy’ password, there is no actual damage they could do. Just let us choose whatever password we want.

If that’s not possible for whatever reason, at least mention all password limitation on page, rather than letting us discover one limitation at a time when trying nonconforming passwords.

great job.

One thing i noticed was the export to csv doesn’t work with Internet Explorer. It opens in a new tab with the address bar containing the CSV data. It saves just fine in Chrome.

BFM

Sure, I can remove that restriction. Sorry for the trouble.

EDIT: Removed. Passwords still have a 6-character minimum but are otherwise unrestricted.

2 Likes

It’s an amazing asset, thank you Lyya for all the hard work!

Fixed the console page. http://ashtender.com/gems/console/collection should be working now.

I used the old hunt and peck method to enter my data, didn’t take as long as expected. Then again most of my collection is already fully traited Mythic so it was easier to set everything at max and downgrade the appropriate troops by Kingdom.

One thing I did notice @Lyya is that the tabs that have my name and ‘Collection’ do not respond when I click on them. I navigated to other locations on the website and could not return to My Collection. I have to use the link in the first post of your thread to get there. Using iOS if that helps any. Fabulous job regardless!

Thanks.

Some more feedback:

• A way to change password? (I know I can reset it with “I forgot my password”, but there should be a less awkward way to do it).

• I can see how many traitstones I have, or how many my troops still need, but I can’t see how many I’m missing (what I need minus what I have). If you could add that, or at least let us see both figures at once so we can get an idea where we are.

• The “set all levels/traits to…” feature is a great help. It would be nice if you added an option for 1 and 2 traits as well (I know for sure that all of my troops have at least 1 trait unlocked)

• I assume many users have used ToDoMonitor until now. It shouldn’t be too hard to add the option to import the the data from the ToDoMonitor save file.

Whoops, looks like I completely missed that. I’ll add one in the next day or so. Thanks.

I’ll see what I can do here. That view is really cluttered due to the space limitations on mobile, but I should be able to come up with something.

Done.

Also a good suggestion. I’ll see what I can do.

When you say “iOS” do you mean “iPad?” I can’t reproduce the issue on an iPhone…and Chrome’s emulator for iPad (which I don’t own) doesn’t seem to have an issue, so it might take me a bit to find a fix. Do you have any trouble navigating to the table pages (troop table, kingdom table, etc.) from the top menu?

This awesome. AMAZING. I know exactly what I need :grinning:

One thought: what about troop count? I know that might be less important than knowing how many of a particular traitstone you need to farm, since you can’t very well farm a particular card, but it’d still be good to keep track of. E.g. how many more peasants do I need to make it mythic?

Edit: More importantly, this is awesome! :slight_smile: Thank you for an awesome app!

1 Like

Yes it is iPad specific, using Safari. iPhone I discover is fine.
On the iPad, once I navigate away from My Collection, the tab to get back to it doesn’t work. The other tabs (troops, kingdom, classes) work fine. It’s not a big deal though, don’t want you to waste valuable time :slight_smile:

Try again now. I just pushed what might be a fix, but I can’t validate it.

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this, it’s wonderful! I did notice that you are missing one troop though, the Ice Golem. I can’t remember when it was released (it was recently though, I think) but it’s not on your troop list. Please add?

Should be there – are you looking at the PC or console list?