New Faction - City of Thieves

Did you go for Cedric room? Guild mate of my ignored it and went straight for boss room, because of the high likelyhood Cedric would screw up his order. He eventually won.

I’m wondering what others have done. I’m coming on 500 in the hour and not looking forward to it…

As a fellow person with a job, I have some good advice. I picked up this advice from really hardcore players in EVE Online:

Don’t spend on something if you’ll be upset when it’s lost.

You (potentially) bought gems expecting to spend some number of hours playing the game. Good for you. Something outside the game’s control made it unavailable for that amount of time. Life sucks!

Complain about the things you can control. No matter how dissatisfied the players are at this outage, there’s really not a solution. Before you angrily type about how they could have more servers, note that Fortnite was affected, too. And Minecraft. And Netflix. Those companies make more per day than GoW makes per quarter, and THEY weren’t able to stop 100% of their users from facing downtime. Netflix is most notable because in the software development industry they wrote the book on high availability services with failure tolerance. It still happens. There is not enough money to be 100% online.

I’ve got the same gripe as you but the solution’s really not for GoW to risk the business on higher availability. The smarter solution would be for me to find hobbies with the same uptime as me. You probably need the same thing, too. A ukulele’s $50, that’s a good start. I haven’t touched mine in a few weeks because I’m a damaged human. But it’s the same kind of challenge: the ukulele has hundreds of “levels” I can’t play yet. I have to log in daily and develop my skills to play them. It turns out there’s no way to pay to win with it. Someone else can buy a gorgeous $700 uke, but it turns out the $50 plastic ones still sound great and aren’t easier to play. The $40 strings are a good upgrade, but no matter how many you buy it’s practice that makes you better, not the instrument.

That’s… actually a better deal than video games, right? Maybe we “people with jobs” are investing in a fantasy world that never delivers what it claims. Which are you going to remember in 12 years: the GoW outage, or that you never learned to play an instrument?

1 Like

I’m honestly thinking of just cutting my losses and quitting the game after this delve. There are more fun ways to spend my weekend than spending hours grinding to level 500, and be left with a roll of the dice to see if I can win with a faction-only team.

6 Likes

From now on I will say I am logging in and leveling up when I make art :joy:.