How often are YOU running into the "super lucky" opponents?

I already explained why I won’t be doing that. It’s not worth my time of effort just to have people (which I know they will) claim it doesn’t matter because “I won” in the end. The point of this thread was to encourage others to start posting their own videos as well to highlight the problems.

One voice pointing it out does diddly, after all.

@beanie42 i apologize if it seems that i am trying to derail the thread because i am in no way trying to

That being said i am of the opinion that on both console and mobile i “seem” to get just as many fortunate skyfalls and board setups as does the AI…

I have also noticed that the play style of the AI is quite different on console as it is on mobile but the “rng factor” imho does not favor one side over the other

I completely disagree with anyone who says the AI cheats (or however its put) on console or mobile

1 Like

I think this is why people are getting upset. On one hand, you’re saying “I know that I need to be luckier than the AI to win this battle” and on the other hand, you’re saying “When the AI is luckier than me, it isn’t fair”. I think the rest of us are saying: try to take luck out of the equation as much as possible (as you begin to do by putting your barriered Celestasias up front) and you’ll be less frustrated.

If you replaced your second Celestasia with Borealis and your 2nd TDS with a traited Sylvanimora, you’d still have a 4-dragon team, but now you’d have one that covers all 6 colours, entangles the first troop on every 4 match and can freeze all 4 troops to prevent looping. The troops you choose do matter.

4 Likes

Couldnt have said it better myself brudda

We actually did this in another thread a couple months ago. I’ll see if I can find the example. In that case, the player that posted the video turned out to be the poster-boy for confirmation bias, as he loudly complained about the good luck that the AI was getting while ignoring the (equally, in my opinion) good luck that he was getting. When I posted a lengthy discussion which pointed out the specific examples of him doing this, he ignored it and I don’t believe I’ve seen him around since.

In that same thread, @RyuuHou24 posted a couple of videos that showed some outrageous skydrops. Perfect examples, to me, of the kind of thing that we say happens on console all the time. While I have always held that it happens just as often in my favour as it does for the AI, it does seem to reinforce the belief that there is a difference in the gem-refresh coding between the two platforms.

2 Likes

@Vangor not you specifically :wink: , there are lots of posters here. Like @Stan , just noticing things starting to heat up, so better to point it out now than wait for things to really explode.

Unfortunately you’re right that some might be overly critical, so I understand you not wanting to post it. However, if you feel so inclined and want to share something privately, I’d love to take a look (no pressure though, seriously :wink: ). Also, if there is anybody else who thinks they are regularly seeing this sort of beneficial cascades and wants to share an extended/long video, that would be welcomed.

2 Likes

[quote=“Stan, post:193, topic:20082, full:true”]
We actually did this in another thread a couple months ago. I’ll see if I can find the example.[/quote]

Linking that thread in here would be awesome, thanks! Plus, if you already did an analysis, might save me a bunch of work :wink:

2 Likes

Are these complaints about the way the computer team chooses gems with PvP mode only?

The post with the 45 minute video is here:

My rebuttal is here:

@RyuuHou24 post containing his skydrop videos is here:

Watch the second video at about 0:40 and tell me you see that on PC/Mobile. I see it at least once a week on console.

2 Likes

I can only say I’ll consider that. If you want though, PM me about it to remind me and all, it might pop into my head to capture some 15 minute segments through PSN (I don’t have an actual streaming device, that’s one problem with doing it).

1 Like

I haven’t tried it myself, but Haduke was streaming to Twitch direct from his PS4.

BTW, I appreciate you being willing to engage on this stuff, even if we don’t agree on everything.

It’s not about me being frustrated with what I’m playing or my match up though :wink: My issues are quite specifically skydrops, the balancing issues in the game, and the way the AI continues to get cascades like they’re nothing at all. And, oh yeah, the fact that 9 out of 10 times my gem creation powers favor the opponent instead of me. That one REALLY pisses me off, lol. Against weaker opponents, it still happens, but my team is strong, so I win. If I post that on here and highlight the issues still, I just run into “But you won” arguments.

If I post against a stronger team, I run into “But you weren’t using X card” arguments. Both of these arguments ignore the inherent point. That’s why I’M upset laughs Not at you, by the way.

Troops you choose do matter, and I am fine with losing against teams that are stronger. It’s HOW I lose that’s my issue. But I appreciate the advice none the less!

1 Like

That’s cool. You’re hitting on a lot of the points that frustrate a lot of players, and we all adapt in different ways to try to minimize that frustration. A lot of players (myself included) will never use Celestasia, Karl Jarlsberg, Guild Guardians or other troops that create random gems. Even if it IS random, and you time it to when it is probably in your favour (by having lots of matching-colour gems on the board already), the gamble just doesn’t feel worth it a lot of the time.

I DO use exploders a lot, and know that I take a risk every time that I do, but for me, the mana-refill makes it worthwhile and I do everything else that I can (through freezing, entangling, tanking and mana-draining), to limit the downside when things go wrong for me (as they do about half the time). Your style (based on the handful of videos I’ve seen you post) seems to embrace the gambling nature of exploders and gem creation troops. As long as you’re aware of what you’re doing, that’s fine, but given that the game is not getting any less reliant on luck, you might want to think about hedging your bets a bit with team design and opponent choice.

3 Likes

Post it, I’m ok at this game, but there are many other players even more than skilled than me that can help without scrapping your favorite team. I even enjoy the challenge of taking a Daily Task teams in to PvP when I have the time for a long battle.

There might be times your casting too soon and should have filed a lower troop, or when the board is not favorable to use a generator, etc. Little tips can go a long way.

2 Likes

I did post it, up above. I had two people specifically bitch about “But you weren’t using X card” to me, like the point of the video was somehow that I was complaining about the team I was playing against, or that I didn’t understand what I was playing against, etc etc.

Of course there are times I make mistakes, I’m human. That’s why the AI shouldn’t be so ridiculously ruthless on console. I haven’t played the mobile version, but I continue to hear that it’s “predictable and easy”. Which is what the console AI USED to be. When I lost, it was because of my team not being that good, or not having traits, my opponents troops outclassing mine entirely. It wasn’t due to the computer getting 4 matches constantly, having super long turns, filling their mana up like they’re snapping their finger to do it, or skulls raining down like they’re candy. It also wasn’t due to my hero power effing me over the majority of the time and setting my opponent up with a 4 match off the bat their next turn.

It was a lot more fair, basically.

1 Like

Ok in the spirit of civil discussion here is my thought…

I find the ai to be predictable and easy on both console and mobile and i find the mobile ai to be more ruthless as you put it because console ai misses 4s and 5s sometimes albeit rarely

That being said if you KNOW the ai acts a certain way wouldn’t it be BETTER and more PRODUCTIVE to try and circumvent said behavior as opposed to stubbornly complaining about it?

This is the reason ppl say you arent using x card or choose opponent better in response to your complaints

This is a STRATEGY game and incessantly yelling “not fair” is in my opinion not ever a successful strategy

2 Likes

Just to hop over to the other side briefly. I agree that complaining about the AI’s behaviour is a bit silly (as some are doing), but @RyuuHou24 has clarified that he is complaining about the AI’s apparent luck. And if that is actually happening, complaining about it IS productive, similar to complaints about other apparent problems like cards not in chests. No amount of team selection can counteract unfair AI. Not saying that it is unfair (that’s what I’m hoping to investigate), just pointing out that in today’s discussion losing has not been the issue, beneficial cascades has been.

Also, I like your description of the mobile AI as “ruthless”, made me lol. Can’t make a smart or strategic decision to save its life, but it’ll never miss a 4-match…

3 Likes

:smiley: The console AI primary ‘secret advantage’ is you can’t reliably make it take a specific match or Skull. Neither AIs are “ruthless” unless that means blindfolded in a dark room with oven mitts on both hands and told to reset a digital clock to the correct time. :smiley: :wink:

2 Likes

@beanie42 i hear what you are saying and i appreciate the desire to help improve a game we all love dearly

I’ll just say this with regards to the luck of the ai…

In American courtrooms there is an objection that council can lodge called “asked and answered”. What this applies to is when one attorney asks a question of the person on the stand that has already been asked and subsequently answered (i know sounds self explanatory but surprisingly many things in our legal system are not). This objection’s purpose is to protect the person on the stand from word games and trickery as well as avoiding the wasting of time.

The reason i feel this is relevant is because if one were to read through the thread that @Stan was so kind as to provide a link to, one would find the question of “unfair ai” asked by the same ppl for the most part as it has been here. One would also find said question answered repeatedly by @Sirrian and @GoldPhoenix0.

Thus i submit that this issue has been asked many times before and answered by the devs and any further complaints imho are pointless and can most likely be chalked up to clear recall bias. (Not used condescendingly btw…)

3 Likes

Does the AI know what gems will drop from above? Asked and answered.
Does the AI cheat? Asked and answered.
Does the gem refresh algorithm favour the AI over the player? Asked and answered.
Is there a difference between the gem refresh algorithms of the PC and console versions? In my mind, this is the one question that is still open.

3 Likes