How about a Guild Tithing feature?

This right here. My guild requires 60k a week, I’m happy to pay it as part of being in the top 10. It would be awesome to have it automatically deducted as I play.

A problem with the Moms and Dads? :grinning:
When you read this forum it seems that many HL players are parents or, at least, working adults.

As far as I know, you are in a guild that does not have a tax and don’t kick people who don’t contribute and that is working very well nonetheless.
This is a game, not a job. I don’t want any tax. I want to remain free to give my gold if I want and to keep it if it is my fancy.
I may be weird, but I don’t mind contributing for people who are leveling their kingdoms. They need more the gems, keys, souls… we get from the tasks than I do. Helping them progress is an investment that will benfit to the whole guild.

3 Likes

Interesting. Brings up another possibility. Why not give each player the option to have a certain percentage automatically donated to his or her guild fund?

I like that better than having the guild tax me.

1 Like

I hope you read on in my post and saw that I was exaggerating to make a point. But that aside, thank you for supporting what I already surmise–that the hard-core players are the minority.

A contribution requirement IS a tax. When you hear the word tax for some reason you only think of income tax that is removed in advance, but the word tax could just as well mean something that you have to go and pay from the money you already earned, and not paying gets you punished - exactly what many guilds are currently doing.

There are such taxes in my country (e.g a municipal tax that depends on where you live), and to tell you the truth, I much prefer income tax over this, for the same reasons noted above - less of a hassle to pay, and less feeling like it ‘comes out of your pocket’.

[quote=“IronyMan, post:60, topic:1075”]
and then it is up to the Guild God and the Rank 2 and 3 bean-counters to make sure everyone is anteing up. But it is still voluntary.
[/quote] You pay or you get kicked out. How is that voluntary? That’s the same as saying the tax proposed here is voluntary because you can leave the guild if you want.

+1 to you for this statement :smiley:

You’re right of course (guildmate?). And I have no complaints. As I said, guilds that don’t want to apply tax don’t have to, and I’m happy to be in one.

However, when this thread started I was in a different guild. That guild had no set requirements, beside ‘Play every day’ or similar, and it was open for joining (did not require invite). Still, people got kicked often, and I got kicked out eventually (without a warning) even though I played every day. The reason I later discovered was not contributing gold. After joining I saw contributions to be really slow and just assumed they are nice enough to not require them so we could level our kingdom. Turned out I was wrong.

What I’m saying is, getting kicked without warning or explanation was not a good feeling. If I was to stay in the same guild, I would much prefer a forced tax that would make me ‘safe’, than be in constant danger of getting kicked out because of too vague rules.

[quote=“Aelthwyn, post:62, topic:1075”]
This is a game, not a job. I don’t want any tax.
[/quote]Again, you are right, and I feel the same, which is why I joined my current guild.

But fact stands that many top guilds do require contributions (some quite high), which kind of makes them a job. And people do want to take that job and join these guilds (many are full). For those guilds, for these people, the suggestion here will help a lot, and it shouldn’t threaten the people and guilds that don’t want it - your life will stay the same. So why the objection?

No it is not. Because it is not based on anything. It is simply “X amount of gold OR MORE.” Every tax is based on something—usually a percentage of something’s value or of money earned. The tax proposed in this thread is a tax because it is based on a set percentage of everything you earn.

Because that is most similar to what is being proposed here.

Like a membership to a gym or to your local Elk’s Club, which is what I suggested in my counter proposal.

[quote=“yonizaf, post:65, topic:1075”]
There are such taxes in my country (e.g a municipal tax that depends on where you live), [/quote]
I think this means sales tax. I thought about using that as an analogy, but it does not really apply, as it involves charging extra for something and is not a tax on income.

It is voluntary because you don’t have to do it. That does not mean there are no consequences. I am a grown up. I want to make decisions for myself, not have someone else make them for me.

Again, some word confusion. Voluntary means “you don’t have to do it.” If you are in a guild and they start taxing as proposed here, you have to pay. That is not voluntary. You still have the choice of whether you want to remain in the guild, and can leave if you don’t like it. The choice to remain in the guild is voluntary. The tax is not.

Me too. And it sucked. So I made my own guild with NO requirements. But I couldn’t get anybody to join. I have a second hero on my ipod that is saving my guild while I run around in a big one and earn gems for armor. If I get kicked out, I’ll go back. But they’ve been promoting me. I’m not sure why. I haven’t donated a lot of gold lately, though I do earn a crapload of trophies for them.

You seem to think that if there was a guild tax, your position would be safe. I don’t see that at all. I don’t really see that a tax would change things one bit from how they are today with the exception of players being required to pay a set percentage of earned money to the guild.

And I’d just as soon not see me required to pay anything but what I want to.

Go consult a dictionary. Tax simply means ‘Something that the government requires you to pay’. It doesn’t have to be a percentage of anything.

But if you want, there are guilds that do require contributions based on something. For example I think Darkfall requires gold based on level x100. Is that a tax enough for you?

[quote=“IronyMan, post:68, topic:1075”]
Because that is most similar to what is being proposed here.
[/quote]But you act like that’s the only definition of tax in existance, which is not.

No, I meant something like Rates (a property tax). Basically you pay for where you live (which neighborhood, house size), regardless of income.

[quote=“IronyMan, post:68, topic:1075”]
If you are in a guild and they start taxing as proposed here, you have to pay. That is not voluntary. You still have the choice of whether you want to remain in the guild, and can leave if you don’t like it. The choice to remain in the guild is voluntary. The tax is not.
[/quote]If you’re in a guild that requires contribution and decide not to pay, you will not be in this guild anymore. Your options (and their results) are exactly like leaving the guild yourself in case of tax. The only difference is the mechanics. In the first, you don’t pay voluntarily, then get kicked involuntarily, in the second you leave voluntarily in order to not pay involuntarily. I just can’t see how one is more or less voluntary than the other.

What’s with all the debate. It’s not like a tithing feature guarantees you’ll be losing money, just that there’s a decent possibility.

There will be guilds out there without the requirement, and rely solely on donation just like now. I’d probably set the tax for my own guild to 0 unless at least half the guild members wanted such a feature active.

Options won’t be removed, just added in to improve guilds that prefer it such way.
yonizaf’s guild would probably be set to 0%, as well as Ironyman’s.

Your guild starts charging you? Drop out! Options always open, won’t take long to discover if implemented correctly. (Like a little meter before starting a battle mentioning how much you’re being tithed.)

Meter shouldn’t go higher than 20% in my opinion (without an additional option for personal tithing). Guilds will indicate their tithing rates before joining, there could be an indicator if the Guild Master alters it, etc.

Just not sure of the point of this debate about an option that’s, well, optional.

Yep as the OP I never realized it would be such a contentious topic for a feature that I proposed would be voluntary based on what that guild wants! I’m 100% in favor of that kind of guild contribution system myself.

1 Like

This is why I was arguing from the beginning that if a tithe feature were implemented it be done in such a way that is per individual not per guild.

That way I could set my tithe to 30% or whatever, while Joe antitax could set it to 0.