GW First week feedback

I completely disagree about the ‘skill’ because most people who think there are skill involved are probably not playing at the highest levels.

Last week, I cruised through GW, I even got a DM that never killed me for 5 turns because I couldn’t get my mana up on my cleanser.

I finished with the top score in my guild last week and am now the paragon.

So my first two battles today with the same team as last week went like this:

I start with a Herd/Kerb/Kraken/Abyssinia team and have a FULL mana herd master waiting for the DM and I kill the DK and all my troops get DMed, but it ended my turn. So next turn comes up and ALL FOUR of my troops died from DM in one go.

So I made a team of all impervious to counter this and was drowned out by not being able to get my mana together on my mana generator and the opponent had a funny thing happen, made a 3-match at the top of the screen and then three drops of skulls, giving him three attacks that took out my mana generator and I just slowly starved to death trying to output enough damage to win. Both cases were RNG eating my dinner and not giving me a chance to taste it. I’m a skilful player who spends time trying to figure out the best move each time and often, when the RNG isn’t doing this, win win win.

The reason I’m complaining about keeping GW all RNG-based is that it really does serve that the luckiest guild gets to be on top each week if all guilds are just putting up grief teams.

I would prefer something that let us feel like skill actually mattered.

I’m fairly certain that all the people who post on the thread about how smug they are in their incredible skill just haven’t had a run of bad RNG luck. As a person, I tend to get fairly unlucky when it’s random chance so I’m terrible at gambling or similar.

I’m at the point where I’m starting to wish we could just push a roulette button and it would tell us if we won or lost our game rather than having to spend 10-15 minutes slowly taking moves to make sure I don’t give away any points in GW.

3 Likes

I find it just as boring as the older PvP.
Same people playing their same card picks (on Xbox, it’s always dragons).

I wish the game makers would make rules like, first fight is done with goblins, second fight with Wildfolk, etc. It’s just too repetitive.

1 Like

I like the daily tasks best, for the chance to utilize different troops.

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea, instead of color the wheel. I like it.

You mentioned the daily Tasks in you second post: I’m sure PC players will love it if they use the same RNG Table as console: Constructs Day 1, Constructs Day 3, Constructs Day 6.

1 Like

That is just false.

In my match agaimst the paragon today i was using TDS kerby Spirit fox kerby

My first 2 kerby shots didnt produce a devour. And i couldnt get any mana i needed

Enemy team was the new lizard yeti mab spirit fox

Long story short… I ended up winning with dire wolf warg warg kerby

It wasnt easy and RNGsus was definitely not on my side but i still won… Luck? I think not

2 Likes

Huh. I would love to see that but today was a wall of wither Psion/Kerb/Krak/Giant Spider or Kerb Famine Kerb Famine or similar with a DK in it. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to face off with a team like you faced for your paragon.

I don’t think you had “a run of bad luck” like I’m talking about. You sound like you’re far more fortunate.

For me I see a run of bad luck as you missing your first 2 kerb and then having the other team get their first two kerb and you losing the match. Then going into your next match to have the same thing happen.

My first week I won all my matches. Adjusted the teams a bit and the second week I lost at least 2 matches a day and ended up being the bottom scorer. I knew the teams were solid, I just hit a REALLY bad string of bad luck.

The big clue is that the following week, the THIRD week, I used EXACTLY THE SAME TEAMS as week two because, as I said, they were solid and no improvement necessary. I EASILY won all 5 matches every day and scored highest in my guild.

This game is a crap shoot for GW, you can argue all you like otherwise but it is clear that you’re not hitting the same kind of bad luck I get.

1 Like

Ok well then if that is the case and the game gives you nothing but heartache and grief from “bad luck” why do you still play it?

Im not advocating quitting GoW but if a game made me feel as tho it was out to get me at every turn i would simply play something else rather than go on forums and do nothing but complain that the game is just roulette

Not trying to be a jerk but saying skill doesnt exist in this game is a cop out for bad games and insults everyone who isnt crying over losses…

1 Like

I don’t think I’m crying over my losses, I’m trying to explain in a forum that the devs monitor that making this game a crap shoot is less appealing.

And I play this game out of force of habit. It has been the only video game I play for almost 3 years and I haven’t picked up any other because I have over $1000 invested in this game and I love playing it casually. But being as old as I am in game, I’m in a great guild and I love my guild mates so I go through the stress of GW grief defenses to stick with my mates. The game I played before this ended because the company was bought and I moved here from Monstar Match.

Truth is, I am asking myself this question each week GW progresses without any solid improvement. Do I really want to keep doing this? Sure I get mad when I have a DK teamwipe me when I have a active mercy or other cleanser waiting. But like a dog returning to its vomit, I keep coming back because I’ve been at this for 3 years.

Also, thank you @Vangor for taking the time to disagree with me. I appreciate that you take the time to disagree and I appreciate your opinions because I know I can’t always be right.

My purpose of starting this thread was to create a forum for the devs to monitor about how people are enjoying a feature that took them over a year to prepare and launch. I’m fairly certain they are eager to get all feedback.

1 Like

Skill exists. But no matter how skilled you are, when the RNG decides your number is up, you lose.

I loathe Guild Wars to the core. I think it was a colossal waste of time, money, and effort on behalf of the developers. I think it does far more harm to the game than any benefit it provides. If it had been in play when I started I’d have uninstalled as soon as I realized it.

But I’ve invested over a year in the game. I’ve spent enough to reach VIP 5. And I enjoy Gems of War in spite of Guild Wars, collecting troops, doing quick relaxed battled in PVP. I hope that in time they’ll improve Guild Wars, but I’m not holding my breath. I’ll just do the fights with a mostly-color team that I find fun and treat it like any other pvp. Especially since it doesn’t seem to matter how well the guild does in terms of bracket changes.

3 Likes

Im not denying that. I guess ive just had a real long streak of good luck since this hasnt happened to me but once during ALL my GW fights… YAY ME!

1 Like

I’d love to see win rates on GW vs PvP. I’d wager a lot that they’re not very different. The game hasn’t really changed with respect to RNG. It’s just that people are super fixated on the idea that they have to be 100% successful even though that’s never been the case. It honestly feels like the forums have become nothing but the “AI cheats!” conspiracy theory types. I don’t even know why I’m still coming except out of habit.

3 Likes

Well, I’d take a wild guess and say that PVP would have a higher loss rate that GW just because people are putting higher levels of thought into it.

However, the big difference isn’t the ratio, it’s the fact that unless you’re shooting to be #1 in PVP during the week, wins and losses don’t matter. You can skip out of a fight that you think is gonna take too long or be too frustrating with little lost but when you only have 5 battles each day that count, you can’t retreat or run away and if it goes badly, you still want to stick with it to the end to get those few points you get.

What happened to no skill in this game?

THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT OF GUILD WARS!!! TO MAKE THE BATTLES MEAN SOMETHING SO PPL PUT IN EFFORT!

4 Likes

Yet if the point is to make battles mean something, why is the end result of a week of GW battles irrelevant to bracket placement for next week?

Strange bracket movement in GW

5 Likes

Because collusion…

Duh nuh, duh nuh!

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s true - a few wild factors come to mind:

• PvP can often pitch lower level players against higher level defences - and the lower level players don’t have the resources to deal with some of the end game cheese defences - or don’t have the stats to survive a few bad drops - so PvP invades could be getting more losses

• however players can skip or reroll PvP, or take a lower trophy match, and so avoid the more hated defences or things they cannot easily counter, whereas GW faces you with defences you cannot reroll

• also GW (in theory) restricts players to the colour of the day, or at least incentivises people to try those colours, so people will gamble and end up struggling against bad RNG on devours or deathmarks

I suspect the latter two factors outweigh the first one… but we may never know :smiley:

4 Likes

You are absolutely right, i think it is safe to say that the very vast majority of the complete playerbase never had that type of a “run of bad luck”. A quadruple first turn Deathmark procc, that is highly improbable. Rngesus is a moody guy to us all, but you must have done something really bad to deserve that kind of treatment, well at least you weren’t hit by lightning at the same time.
On the bright side, statistically speaking that should never happen to you again, so something to look forward to.

As for your approach to the teambuilding, there is no perfect team, if you play the same teams for 2 to 3 weeks, it is rather you were quite lucky winning most of the battles.

Yes RNG is clearly a factor in the game, and everyone will lose games to it at some point, and we all get mad about it (my personal vent thread on this forum is proof for that) but often you can adapt and comeback from rng if your team allows for that and accounting for rng and building your team more on stability and comeback abilities is a teambuilding skill as well, and going straight up all impervious is rarely the right answer.
I have lost two games so far, in both simple board/manasurge rng manastarved me resulting in me losing the Drain Wars, and boy did it make me mad, but after my head cleared from the rage i realized with some different troop choices i could have put up a better fight.

TLDR: rng is a part(not the biggest part though) of the game, so are losses and raging about them too, venting is fine, just don’t let it ruin your enjoyment of the game.

2 Likes

I really hate GW it is the same boring shit as PvP except I can’t just skip it. It would be a lot better if event bonus’ didn’t count that way I wouldn’t have to fight Kerberos in almost every battle every day this week and when the beast bonus is over another annoying troop will be buffed to be stupidly op like Scale Guard a few weeks back.

4 Likes

On the other hand…

Death Knight***
Famine***
Death***
Famine***

1 Like

Maybe the problem is you and not the game?

1 Like