Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

It takes much more time and energy to fix something after the fact than it does to fix it before release. Our desire to give feedback does not, in any way, detract from Sirrian’s experience and abilities. If the Devs didn’t want feedback, they wouldn’t give us previews. And if the Devs don’t want to listen to our feedback, well they don’t have to.

Implying that people shouldn’t voice their opinions isn’t just counter to the Devs desires but it’s counter to the health of the game. I shudder to think what the landscape of GoW would be currently if players hadn’t voiced their opposition to the original 45k/week Seals requirement when it was previewed to us.

6 Likes

I’ll never understand how someone has the audacity to come into a thread like this and try to tell other players not to voice their opinions.

It’s an open discussion forum for god’s sake. The devs are perfectly capable of balancing this feedback against their data and expertise.

9 Likes

There was a suggestion above somewhere that I think provides a GREAT solution without the need to create new mechanics, such as tickets, etc.

Every guild member has 5 battles/day for 6 days.
This comes out to 900 battles.
If the end of week calculation for points takes only the BEST 800 battles, then you effectively create a 3 person vacation window. (actually better than that, since 3 players out would be only 90 battles missed)

The Guild would obviously still need to ENCOURAGE members to play their daily battles, but if a few people need to miss for various reasons then, it will not AUTOMATICALLY deny top rewards to a guild because LIFE HAPPENED.

It was a very nice suggestion, that I think got completely overlooked in all the walls of text! :wink:

EDIT: Searched for it and it was @Grundulum. Gotta give credit where credit is due!

7 Likes

But then batlles wouldnt be over each day, and in case a guild fought all 900 battles, against which guild will be acounted for?
Lets say a guiled earned 100k points against guilds A and B each. Avarage battle worth against guild A is 2k points, against guild B 1k points.
Guild A earned 50k points. Guild B earned 90k points. All the battles fought against guild A got taken into account as those battles had more points then battles against guild B, and that results into having 80k points against guild B and there for losing.
And while 100k points werent needed to beat guild A, those had higher points.

Yeah, I like that idea but only if it’s still the 10 per 2 instead of the 5 per 1. There’s no need to even contemplate encouraging players to play every day. It’s just not needed, has zero upside and a potentially disasterous downsized.

Quite trying to make 5 per day happen. 5 per day isn’t going to happen!

:wink: (I jest but really hope I’m right).

For clarity: I was referring to the distribution of REWARDS only.

The battles for that day would of course have to be scored naturally for each day, so lets say Guild A (attacking) has 3 players out, Guilds B-G (defending Guilds) all have 30 members active. For the sake of this argument lets assume that all participants manage to maximize points per battle.

Every Daily result would look like this:

Guild A ( Max * 27) to Guild B (Max * 30)

Guild A would lose every daily war against Guild B-G, but at the end of the week when the REWARDS are determined it would look like this:

Guild A-G (Max * 800)

And all of those Guilds would still receive the Best Payout, for having earned X amount of Guild War Points.

1 Like

I suspect that rewards payout are based on total points earned during a week, and winning wars.

So a guild would still get higher rewards for 810 battles then 800 because it would be more total points.

2 Likes

Yes and I addressed that earlier. Guild wars can be designed in such a way that minor tweaks won’t require client side updates

And you’re what, assuming that they wouldn’t have to completely redesign GW in order to implement your “easy changes” design? My guess is that would take even longer so that doesn’t result in GW getting here faster; that’s probably the slowest of all 3 options. :wink:

Regarding the “only the highest scores counted”, it’s straightforward enough to take that 800 per week and make it 133 per day. So you still have the guild-vs-guild competition over and done with each day, but there is still a bit of slack in the system on any given day.

Edit: by the way @efh313, this wasn’t my idea at first. Someone else suggested it further up the thread, but I couldn’t easily go back and locate that post. In the spirit of giving credit where it’s due.

2 Likes

You could also just make it where only the top 25 or 90% of scores are counted each day (or similar numbers). That would accommodate guilds with <30 members and guilds where people occasionally don’t participate.

1 Like

If you make it so only the top 90% of scores are counted, then you’d have to compare the average battle score rather than the total across all players.

This percentage idea gives a relative boost to smaller guilds, which may go against the guiding principles of the Guild War update. The goal may be to get people into a smaller number of larger-size guilds, rather than a fragmented mess of 5- and 6-player groups.

I didn’t mean an average of the Top 90% of scores; I meant, literally, the top 9 out of 10 scores. If it’s a 30 person guild, then the top 27 out of 30 scores are counted. If it’s a 27 person guild, then the top 24 are counted. Etc.

There is no need of tickets…

Just put 6 buttons (black buttons on the picture) and each time you click a number is reduced by one and it launchs a fight. When it attains 0 you cannot do a fight against the corresponding guild. Players have all the week to click on it.

Done in 5 minutes with Gimp so sorry about the bad quality.

2 Likes

So, after tooling around with the system yesterday, we’ve found a way that works nicely where you can play the guild war battles at your leisure! I’ll go into nitty gritty details later, because we’ve got to rework some stuff here, so we’re going to be busy for the next 1-2 days as we don’t want to fall behind schedule on it.

There will still be a daily winner in any battle, but that is for bragging rights not rewards… if your guild is busy and can’t turn up, you might lose some battles, but you won’t lose out on any of the goodies at the end of the week.

Rewards will tally up at the end of the week, and as an added bonus, you should now get a very nice summary screen, available for a week after the war ends, showing you the final results & rewards.

35 Likes

Wow, now maybe the butt hurt will go away? :slight_smile:
Edit: I am leaving it there but I think it came out a bit snarky. I meant the above comment as humorous and I hope people take it that way. There has been a lot of drama in this post thus far and I am hoping Sirrian’s last post puts it all to rest.

9 Likes

Edit: This is really for the whole dev team but “Who da team?” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it :wink:

3 Likes

Lol I’m glad you clarified as I didn’t read the humor in it by itself. As one of the chief butthurters on this issue, I agree. :wink:

1 Like

Awesome news @Sirrian . Once again showing that the dev team really does listen. You guys continue to impress!

5 Likes

I am sorry I don’t understand how it solves the issue which was “we don’t want to have a daily duty” or “some players cannot play everyday”…

It seems that your answer is: don’t care about the daily battles, your rewards will not change.
But it’s not a question of rewards, it is about participation: some guild members could not be able to participate every day to guild wars because IRL events or they can just play on the week-end, for example.
The guild leaderboard is a good example: so much fights to attain the top ranks for… no rewards.

You talked about a last-minute-rush meta (ie play all battles at the end of the week) if there is no daily restriction but what about a daily last-minute-rush meta (ie play all 5 battles during the last 10 minutes)?

1 Like