Game randomly selects the wrong gem

Platform, device version and operating system:
Steam 5.40r26671, Windows 10

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:

Clicking on a coin will cause it to shake to show it is selected. Occasionally the coin above is being selected instead. Swiping will cause the wrong coin to move.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?

This has been happening since the 5.4 update.

Steps to make it happen again

Issue happens when you resize the window during the match.

1 Like

Looks like it happens when you’re on the top half of the gem.

Covers this design issue I think.

2 Likes

May be a misaligned Bounding box issue, I’ve noticed this happening on other buttons like the [To Battle!], [cast], and [continue] buttons where , clicking on parts of the green button does nothing, until I click around and find a part of the button that works.

1 Like

Ahhh. Watching the video you may be right.

Curious if @jamiejamez wants to do an experiment? See if the wrong gem is selected when you don’t already have a selected shaking gem. I would bet it always selects the right gem.

Tldr of the linked “not a bug” but definitely a design flaw thread: when you select a gem to move, the game uses a “drag tolerance” to determine where the gem moves. More info in that thread.

This type of flick prediction should not be on PC because a cursor is precise. This should be mobile only due to our fat finger swiping. Hence my critique this is a design flaw.

Changing this would be a huge undertaking. It changes a fundamental aspect of the game so itd be a nightmare to do and test. Salty commented there that the devs want to look at it though which is good. Personally, I wouldn’t expect this to be fixed except for a major release like 6.0, if ever.

2 Likes

I tried it on PC and can’t reproduce. I am playing in windowed mode so the game has some very exotic screen resolution.

Here is another video of the bug during a normal GOW match.

Seems this is caused by resizing the window during a game. The bounding box is not snapping back in align with the graphics, so it is getting displaced by a few dozen pixels down, which is why you can activate a gem or a troop by clicking below the board.

I’ve noticed that the Bounding box will realign with the graphics if you move the window around, but this is still an annoying issue for those of us who play the game in the background while doing other things on screen.