Game lags when accessing Troops and other menus (Fixed in 4.2)

This issue is resolved with the latest game update version 4.2. Guild Improvements. Please update your game to resolve this. (11th Dec '18).

Hi everyone! We have recently noticed some increasing trends in reports of players on console in particular (and PC/mobile) noticing their game lag drastically when going to the Troops tab and other menus. TLDR? skip to the aptly titled “DO MORE TESTS” section!

What does the issue look like?
If you’re getting this issue, you’ll be seeing the game “lag” (freeze for a moment and not do anything or go all jittery) for a few seconds, or many many seconds - some players report up to 20 - when doing things like opening Troops or Weapons, during a battle when matching Gems, or simply doing anything like like loading the “Victory” screen or scrolling down your Inventory. This does NOT include connection issues related to Internet or the game crashing with a specific error.

Why are you only asking us about this now?
Firstly, please know that we understand you have been reporting this issue for awhile. The dev team has been testing (on development and live builds) this issue in the background. However, it’s only been up until recently that we’ve noticed a large trend in this issue happening, and across multiple platforms, and also only recently started receiving full reports in tickets and on the forums (unfortunately discussing it over global chat isn’t enough). Only once we’ve noticed something like this happening, in the exact same way, for multiple players do we have the capacity to act appropriately and begin investigating and understanding the full extent of the cause.

Plzjustfixthingskthzpl90x?$%^@#
So ! Juicy bits! :peach: Why we no fix yet? Because we (support, and the devs) still need a bit more info to work out what is going wrong. @Kafka has done a great job lurking in chat and gathering your info and has put together some solid information on the issue. The dev team suspects a potential cause of the issue but we’re all still unsure of at this stage. To iron out the exact problem and what we currently do know, we need some more solid data!

DO MORE TESTS
OKAY but first :coffee:
Next, please if you would like to help us fix the bug, answers some questions! If you’ve already given lots of details on this lovely bug report, no need to post here again. :bowing_woman:

1. Platform and level (you don’t have to share your level if you aren’t comfortable doing so)
  2. How long have you been playing the game for, and how long did you have Gems of War open for, before the game lag starting occurring?
  3. Does it happen when you are doing anything specific in the game?
  4. What animation speed are you playing on?
  5. How frequently does it happen in each “session” of play?
  6. If you had a million dollars which you could only spend on one time of sweet/lolly/chocolate, would you would buy? :cake:
12 Likes

1 Pc/Steam Level 1403 actually
2 More like is open all day I quit it when I go to sleep :sweat_smile:, it could happen anytime I guess also when I run it at the first time in a day.
3 Yes. Joining Troop menu specially, not 20 seconds sometimes more. Also when I get off PvP and go to kingdoms map.
4 4x
5 Mostly of the times I try to see the troop menu specially
6 Why not but I would give it to charity probably or i lose all the teeth :yum:

I hope it could help :pray:

1 Like
  1. Platform and level (you don’t have to share your level if you aren’t comfortable doing so)

Steam and Android. Level 1258

1. How long have you been playing the game for, and how long did you have Gems of War open for, before the game lag starting occurring?

Usually 15+ min I think. Also depends on how many menus I have been in. I can be on map for 20 min with no issues, yet playing PvP and going in and out of fights, and then go to troop menu will cause the issue.

1. Does it happen when you are doing anything specific in the game?

General game play requiring changing of different menus.

1. What animation speed are you playing on?

Max.

1. How frequently does it happen in each “session” of play?

Once it starts it will continue to happen until I close game completely and reopen

1. If you had a million dollars which you could only spend on one time of sweet/lolly/chocolate, would you would buy? :cake: Cobbers. Best candy ever

Also, it seems as if its a memory issue, from my not professional opinion

Steam and Android. Level 1217

It starts slowly after several battles and the more I play - the longer lag will be. After 30+ minutes it takes me 2-3 minutes to access Troop menu.

It happens after several battles regardless of mode.

4x

Every time after several battles.

I would buy chocolate factory from my town.

Continuing the discussion from Game lags when accessing Troops and other menus:

1. pc/steam level 1173
  2. november 2015 on mobile/android and jan 2016 on steam . starts lagging everytime i open troops screen. no matter if i have game open for an hour or 1 min. it lags horribly. usually 20 secs or more. it does this both on android and steam
  3. it does it opening troop screen from main page and occasionally opening hero class level from the edit team screen.
  4. 4x speed( how did we every play at 1x speed? lol )
  5. almost every session i play and open troop screen
  6. chocolate as long as it came with peanut butter like Reseese’s
  • Platform and level (you don’t have to share your level if you aren’t comfortable doing so)

Steam level 1234 and also on my level 490 account as well

• How long have you been playing the game for, and how long did you have Gems of War open for, before the game lag starting occurring?

Usually starts happening when I have had the game open for 30 minutes or more

• Does it happen when you are doing anything specific in the game?

Accessing troops menu from world map, editing teams from battle screen, on the kingdom power screen where is says to upgrade a weapon or troop if I click that to go to the troops/weapons menu and happening more is when going from pvp screen to the world map

• What animation speed are you playing on?

4x. I never use lower than 4x speed

• How frequently does it happen in each “session” of play?

After around 30 minutes of having the game open it happens almost everytime I try accessing the troops menu

• If you had a million dollars which you could only spend on one time of sweet/lolly/chocolate, would you would buy? :cake:

None I don’t really like that type of stuff. I would buy thousands of cats

1 Like

One Observeration i made that might help. I have the same Problem on Adroid and Win 10 so i guess it hast nothing to do with OS. ITs directly related to the number of ckicks you Do Mouse or otherwise on Tablet. At least on my 2 clients over 2 platforms i do not get this lag if you just keep the Game open. I was working the other Day with Game open in Backround and it dosnt had the Lag problem even after 10 hours being open and idle in Backround. I was suspecting that its realted to input so i started a autocklick macro of my Roccat mouse just letting it click on the screen doing nothing really but cklick on a gem over and over. And the Lag got worse with the number of clicks i did. I was testing it by open the troop menu all 30 min or so. After first 30 min it takes 5 second to open troops. After 60 min it took 10 seconds. Going up to 45 second after 3 hours. After that i was not able to open the Troop menu without closing the client first.

Sorry for my Bad English ihope that helps you guys to nail it down. Software engineer my self i know how it feels to hunt down those pesky bugs on this crossplatform game it must be a nightmare.

1 Like
  • Platform and level (you don’t have to share your level if you aren’t comfortable doing so)

PC/Steam Level 1140

• How long have you been playing the game for, and how long did you have Gems of War open for, before the game lag starting occurring?

After about 30 minutes of play or having the game open for about 30 minutes without playing.

• Does it happen when you are doing anything specific in the game?

It tends to happen when I switch from one menu to the Troop menu or if I get out of another screen and click on the Troop menu too fast. But also, sometimes if I’m away from the game for a bit (game is open) and just click on the Troop menu, it will also lock up.

• What animation speed are you playing on?

4x speed.

• How frequently does it happen in each “session” of play?

Technically once because once I see that the game is hanging or frozen, I don’t wait. I exit the application completely by x’ing out of the window (I play in windowed mode). I receive the “The program is not responding” message, close the game window, then I restart the game.

• If you had a million dollars which you could only spend on one time of sweet/lolly/chocolate, would you would buy? :cake:

I’m more of a salty snack eater, so probably a lifetime supply of Doritos that would have the same taste without the health consequences. (Homer voice) Mmm Doritos…grglgrglgrgl

Xbox and new one month old xbox one x
Level 1266
Slowdown is gradual when opening troop menu.

After a slow open, exiting troop screen and reopening is quick. But after time it slows down again.

3. It is related to using a hero in your team. Using 4x of any regular card does not trigger this issue.

1. Pc\steam 1115 lvl
    2/3. Depends on how muck pvp i play with hero in team. 10-15 battels probably.
  2. x4
  3. When i try to close pvp and open troop menue.
  4. None of them.

I seem be getting the lag issue when opening the Troops menu independent of how long I’ve had the PC client running. It can happen right at the start or after several hours. As far as I can tell it’s rather related to chat lag, whenever the global chat is not responsive, going to troops can take up to 5 minutes (yes, that’s 300 seconds). I suspect that the Troops section somehow interacts with the message queue, either by waiting for it to clear or by doing a server roundtrip using the same channel. Just guessing though.

1 Like

I play on PS4. If I start the game and don’t play at all, only collect tributes for even 5 hours and start playing, it won’t lag. The more matches I play, the more severe the lag gets. Sometimes even minutes I presume. Exiting pvp back to world map also tends to lag if you play tens of matches in a row. I’ve been restarting the application 10 times per day. That removes the lag.

1- xbox level 1450+ sorry don’t know exact rank

2- been playing game since release, game start to freeze after 30 minutes and get worst the more time i play. Freeze is only 15-20 sec but like i said the longer i play the longer the freeze is.

3- happen after 10-15 pvp fight in a row. If i click “RB” until i reach my defense tab the game freeze (longer freeze longer the login) same for troop menu. Sometimes (after 1h of gameplay) the game freeze more than 5 minute, i need to restart the game and it will fix it untill it start to freeze again, rince an repeat, very boring when you chassing top 10

It also freeze when i receive win or lost notification, if i press “A” button too quick, it freeze and kick me to world map

4- i play on x4 pvp and x3 GW

5- like i said it happen after 30 minutes of back to back pvp fight and getting worst when i play longer

6- no

I solved this by reinstalling the game completely and resetting my router
“Not sure the router reset did anything but it’s an option”

1. PS4. Level 1584.
  2. Normally happens after about half an hour of doing PvP/Pet Rescue/Invasion/anything.
  3. Lag is worst accessing troop menu after doing this stuff.
  4. Always 4x speed.
  5. “Often”.
3 Likes
  1. Mobile, Android, level 1147
  2. Open anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours
  3. After playing battles when opening troop menu, from a few seconds up to about a minute. Sometimes lags for a few seconds after a battle ends
  4. 4X
  5. No idea
  6. A one time buy of $1,000,000 of dark chocolate truffles
1 Like

Thank you everyone! I’ll pass on this information to the team

3 Likes
  1. Xbox One level 1128
  2. From past experience, it seems the lag starts kicking in after about an hour. Like if you log in, collect tributes, and stay logged in until the next time tributes are available, lag starts kicking in.
  3. Entering the troop menu. In the past, I’ve often checked for updates for other games while waiting. The music often stops. I don’t know if this is a separate issue from the more recent bug of chat breaking down when one can no longer tab between guild chat and non-guild chat and messages will not post. I’ve never had the patience to wait that out. I generally just disconnect from the chat and reconnect.
  4. 3x or 4x depending on how much I need to concentrate on my moves. In the past, I’ve often played at and experienced this issue playing at 2x.
  5. Not sure if I’d really taken note.
1 Like