Crashes on iPad, reboot doesn't help

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened?

I have an iPad 3, so it’s an older model. I have hardly ever had a problem with the game u til I updated to iOS 9, and now the game crashes regularly. Restarting doesn’t help (case in point, a little while ago I turned it off for a bit while I read a book, and when I started up the game again it lasted through a couple battles then crashed while I was trying to look at the roster in my guild).

What are the steps to make it happen again?

It crashes at a variety of times, most often at the reward sequence at the end of a battle (it seems to still reward me as long as I can finish it, but I’m not 100% sure about this), but also in the middle of battle, in guilds, in the treasure hunt minigame, even on the world view once in a while. The music, if any, will stop, the game will become unresponsive for about a second or two, then I find myself looking at my home screen. Restarting the iPad and leaving it off for several minutes doesn’t seem to be stopping the crashing, as it can and has happened almost immediately after a reboot. The timing of the crashes seems to be random; sometimes it happens a few times in a row when I try to do a series of invades, and sometimes it’ll last through quite a few battles and general browsing through the game features with no problem.

I’m not sure if this is a game problem or a hardware problem. As I said, i never had an issue until the newest iOS update. I love Gems of War, but these crashes are annoying, especially when I get interrupted in the middle of battle. Do you have any suggestions for me to try? Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me and my old iPad? My iPhone 5 doesn’t seem to have trouble with it, but I don’t play on there often as I prefer the larger iPad screen.

Hi Mitheithel,

That random crashing is sounding a lot like a memory/storage issue. They tend to cause random crashes like this.

From your Home Screen, go to your SETTINGS > ABOUT > AVAILABLE and look at the number there… if it’s less than 1GB you can start running into problems with Gems of War (and quite a few other games). If that’s the case, you might need to remove some old unused apps/music/photos from your device to free up some more space.

The good news is that (even if that doesn’t fix it) 1.0.7 is due out soon-ish, and we’ve made the memory usage MUCH more efficient in that version.

Which is good news, because although I am not experiencing any crashes (iPad Air, iOS 9.1 Public Beta), GoW tends to load again every time I am away doing something else. This means I can’t take a break from a battle to finish it later, because that takes me to the general GoW loading screen. This has always been the case by the way, on iOS 8 as well. I am pretty sure this is a memory issue (not a storage issue though, I have plenty of free space on the iPad) and the way iOS deals with suspending apps.

I have almost 5 gigs free, which is why I was hoping it wasn’t a memory issue. Well, here’s hoping the next patch fixes things. Thank you!