Auctioning Items for Fire Relief Charities

Really quick, I’m not lying about the bid. I find Twitter easy, but I’ve also used it a long time. You can click the tweet with the items you want, and if you scroll to the bottom see all the tweets on that part of the thread. It isn’t the most intuitive, and I apologize for that.

Clearly I can learn from this, but I wanted to do something for a nice cause that was started on Twitter. Now I’m here replying on my weekend, which isn’t ideal. I’ll talk to the team about offering some other items on the forums. I’m sorry if this has upset any of you, and I’ll think a lot more in the future before deciding to participate in something of this nature ever again.

1 Like

I think the point here is that the fund raising is a fantastic thing to be doing
It’s is unfortuante that the medium it is being run through is Twitter (for multiple reasons), but thats were its happening, so how about everyone focuses on supporting in the inititive and gives the medium used to do it a rest
To be clear - The Dev’s (for GoW) did not choose Twitter, they did choose to help out a worth cause
Before venting at the GoW Devs, perhaps ask what have you done to suport the cause

5 Likes

Here’s the problem, I’m also pointing this at @kris11

Twitter doesn’t show all users the same view. There is an Algorithm that decides what people will see when they look at reply feeds and a handful of other things. Instagram is similar, and people who do social media for a living hate it. When you’re posting, you’re not trying to do sensible things, you’re trying to please The Algorithm.

So it’s perfectly within The Algorithm’s mindset that some people can see the tweets and I can’t. It has its own opinions about what I like to see, and it might think those rando bid tweets look like spam to me, so it’s showing me what it thinks I’m most interested in: Salty’s corrections and mentions to specifically me. Bids look like spam, and The Algorithm wants to protect me from spam. It also does dumb stuff like displaying tweets out of chronological order. Twitter is very, very sick.

This interacts very poorly with how The Algorithm filters threads. Nobody likes it. Life was easier back when Tweetdeck did it client-side, but Twitter broke all that in the name of directing everyone back towards the cruddy single-account clients that let them display ads. But like, what’s the point of ads on a platform that promises to automatically send your message to everyone who has opted in to your posts? It just results in weird stuff like the NFL paying for ads that first run ads Disney paid for to run in front of random ads. Social media sucks.

The one way around this (other than using eBay) is hashtags. The Algorithm doesn’t yet interfere with hashtag searches. So if you’d please, please, PLEASE tweet that the way to bid is to post a dollar amount with a specific hashtag for each item, that would make it possible for me and 99% of Twitter to participate.

As far as I can tell, even API makes this really hard. I can find “all tweets that mention your account since this tweet was made”, but then I have to do extra work to find the ones that particularly mention that tweet. The best search I did shows at least 5 people outbidding me but also adding “I can’t tell what the hell the current bid is”.

Use hashtags. Or eBay. Twitter hides things from users if you don’t use hashtags. 99% of your target audience doesn’t know how to search them.

I applaud your effort and don’t mean to make this sour. But Twitter as a platform is very, very bad at multi-item auctions unless you go about it a very specific way. I’m trying to help you figure out how to set it up so I can participate, because I want:

• To make a donation to this cause
  • To make sure anyone who beats me to my coveted item has to pay through the nose.

But I’m not bidding if I have to write an application to find the people who are bidding against me. I’d rather donate directly to a charity.

Until such a time as hashtags appear, I call Numberwang.

1 Like

Can anyone guess how many t-shirts they would be selling if there was an actual GoW store?

2 Likes

Shhhhh.
Charity topic.

Can anyone guess how many charity t-shirts they would be selling if there was an actual GoW store?

1 Like

I initially read this as “Salty is a liar and makes false claims”. Also 15+ accounts, as in twitter accounts? I read that as you have multiple burner accounts to troll and make fake bids that disappear seconds before an auction expire. Or perhaps 15+ is including across all types of social media. Remember, I’m one of the dumber people with whom you are trying to communicate. (Perhaps unintentionally. You could have sent a dm to salty, but then the rest of us wouldn’t get a chance to see how smart you truly are).

Maybe learning how to be more tactful. I think your recommendation for hashtags is great, and would certainly help clarify which item is tied to which bid. I would have led with that. You do you though, bruh.

Good day.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not stoked on being accused of lieing, especially for a charity drive.

I’m going to add hash tags and do what I can on Twitter when I’m in front of a computer again. I will likely remove this thread when that happens, and make a new thread if we decide to auction more items on the forums in the wake of this. I didn’t intend to upset anyone or cause harm by posting this thread, so in time I think it is best to take it down.

3 Likes

While ‘deleting negatives’ seems to be an increasingly popular Dev trend in these forums, it mainly invites history to repeat itself due to lost data/feedback/experience.

Locking a post is also an option.
:sweat_smile: :crossed_fingers: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

It’s for charity FFS, who cares about the medium used? Some people never miss an opportunity to criticise and mansplain

6 Likes

The efficiency of the medium will affect the results: so surely everyone should care about the medium used? :thinking:

Ref. Mansplaining
Which of the multiple comments above associates the Dev’s gender to the current medium/method’s shortcomings?
:thinking: :vulcan_salute:

Huh, yeah, I regret the barbs that made it into that post. A lot of my frustration should be directed at the platform, not at Salty and it ended up getting directed that way.

2 Likes

I’ve rounded everything up to make it easier on Twitter. There are hashtags for each acution, and they have been retweeted separately with the current highest bids. Z

Currently, we are sitting at…

Warhammer Unit, 165 AUD.

Lorekeeper, 130 AUD.

Custom t-shirt, 90 AUD.

All bids are now in AUD, increasing by amounts of 10 AUD. The bidding ends on January 22nd.

10 Likes

It’s your last day to bid on everything!!! The auction closes January 22nd 11 59 PST, so get in quick!

Warhammer unit painted by Sirrian 200 AUD

Lorekeeper 230 AUD

Custom shirt 150 AUD

5 Likes

Welcome back to me and personally nothing here interests me so how about just setting up a gofund me page. Not sure if its over there or not as Im in the USA. I would donate to that. Thxs

1 Like

I LOVE the idea of auctioning more stuff off in the auctions. I did find the twitter auction a little confusing at first, but I managed to bid anyway. I wished I could have kept going as it was such a great cause and definitely worth every penny! Congrats to the winners!! I still have my hand raised for another lorebook auction. Maybe I could win this time. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

DeShawn Williams here, thank you for that introduction @Slypenslyde… I appreciated the auction whatever form it took and
needless to say @Slypenslyde, if there was as much energy put into in learning how to use your multiple Twitter accounts(nice flex btw) as writing a disheveled forum post, I’m sure you wouldn’t have had any trouble figuring it out as I did. :tipping_hand_man:t6: