Add "1488" to the username badwords

Well done @ Team “lets censor everything”

Can’t stop laughing tbh. :smiley:

16 Likes

It would be funny if it wasn’t so embarrassing.

8 Likes

Gems of War exploits gambling addiction.
But takes the high ground on racism.
Gems of War crashes just by existing on my Chromebook at least once a week. Perhaps if binary was a race then it would get some needed TLC.

Another one of those ‘impossible to get wrong’ things. I don’t even know anymore.

8 Likes

Sorry, but… it is funny.

Not as funny as having my ducking Samsung change my ducking swear words in guild chat (Duck!), leading some to the conclusion that I had some sort of Anatidine fetish. Got lots of unsolicited duck pics after that.

But funny, nonetheless.

3 Likes

I’m just as much against Nazism as the next guy, but there is no need to censor the team codes. @Kafka you said something about this. Can you have them add an exception for team codes? It’s utterly ridiculous in its current state

3 Likes

This is known as the Scunthorpe problem.

It’s caused by lazy application of a spam/ profanity filter that just looks for certain sequences of characters without considering if there are legtimate circumstances in which they can occur…

9 Likes

It’s funny, but also deeply concerning. Imagine: an entire county in England ceases to exist because the government believes school children should not be able access anything on the internet related to sex.

What next? We have to start referring to a sadly common cancer as “white meat cancer”? I feel so very Victorian! Let me quickly put floor length coverings on my dining table to hide its vulgar appendages.

What surprises me most is the recency of the examples cited. Dominic Cummings on Twitter in 2020, and the Devon landscape, Plymouth Hoe, on Facebook in 2021. When one of the biggest tech companies in existence hasn’t yet found a solution, I don’t really think it’s just lazy coding. :laughing:

Maybe instead of using quadrillions of GPU cycles to train very questionable chatbots, the tech industry needs to put machine learning to the task of generating white lists.

In any case, I can’t really blame IP2 for repeating mistakes that big players like Facebook, Google, and Twitter are still routinely making.

But I can still laugh at the absurdity of it all. The Plymouth Hoe, a truly remarkable woman, especially when the fleet comes in!

2 Likes

This is literally one sequence of characters. Given that shared teams contain number sequences, it’s not exactly a big stretch of the imagination to consider that just maybe those numbers could appear other than in hate speech.

Except that lack of imagination seems to be pretty much par for the course with GoW these days…

6 Likes

Nobody minds having Scunthorpe censored, the less said about that place the better :sweat_smile:

I think a fair solution to this issue is to just have this string censored in usernames only and leave chat alone.
That is what the OP is asking for anyway. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Well, I didn’t exclude lazy coding. If there must be something in addition (not just lazy coding), lack of imagination could certainly be one of those things… Along with quite a few other attributes, those who do not lack such imagination could come up with. :wink:

My people, mark up is hard. We tested ALL sorts of combinations before pushing this live… we didn’t share a team code with a “1488” ID in it though because I wasn’t thinking of that.

I will see about getting this fixed, if it can’t be I’ll ask for ‘1488’ to be uncensored.

I am very happy that some people here have so little interaction with neo-nazis that they don’t realise that any time a gamer uses the numbers ‘1488’ in their game names they are always referring to nazis.

Let’s not defend it for the sake of other, more innocent things like discussions about Putin or American Presidents, or other historic dates and symbolism. There are some very straight forward references that are commonly used by neo-nazis, and almost never by anyone else in games, pop culture or the mass media and this is one of them.

If you didn’t already know that, I’m sorry you had to learn here :frowning:
It’s a sad state of the world we live in when this stuff is still all around, including in a match 3 game.

4 Likes

1488 is one thing, but what about still censored Twinkle Berry, your own troop?

Cockatrice could be fixed and the name appears on chat when typed, even though the c-word standing alone is censored. Then why Twinkle Berry is still censored, when clearly chat censor can work selectively?

@Kafka

Well, I owe you an apology for making a silly joke about coders. I’m very sorry.

I do, for one, know exactly what 1488 stands for because I looked it up on the Anti-defamation League’s website a few days ago. It is, as you suggest, completely unambiguous. As clear and direct as the Nazi swastika. I’m also glad that I got to learn about it on this forum, and not as a result of a personal interaction.

2 Likes

Agreed. I just want to match gems and have fun, not deal with this stuff.

1 Like

Thus speaks the classic voice of privilege who has not been affected by these things, therefore thinks that nobody should be affected by these things.

I bet they have never had anyone commit hate crimes against them or those of their community simply because the perpetrator doesn’t like their skin colour/ religion/ country of origin/ sexuality/ whatever.

AKA “I’m alright, Jack!”

7 Likes

I had a childhood were racism happened to me because I was born into two differently cultures and on top of it I looked like a jew so people mocked me for it. Stop judging us, especially when you have no idea what people went through in their lives.

3 Likes

I’d suggest that if you feel safe posting your address in chat, giving it to people whose email/social media you don’t even know, you have lived a very sheltered life. #neverbeenswatted

They should grow up and learn that it’s always been the case that you’re not permitted to use certain language in certain places. If you doubt that, just go into any church during Sunday services and start dropping f-bombs, or wearing a Satanist T-shirt, and see how quickly you get censored.

IP2 has a similar right to decide what kind of social environment they want to provide.

The people who are getting more stupid every day are those who think they should be allowed to say anything they want, wherever they want because they lack basic good manners.

5 Likes

Gotta pop in and remind everyone to please keep it civil :v:

Correct fix is to exempt team codes from the filter entirely. But I guess that’s too difficult to implement for some.

5 Likes