A New Mythic Approaches - Zilopochtli

i had some zilopochtli the other night.
it was delicious.

1 Like

so far i’ve gotten every new mythic since King bloodwood.
and very few from before him.
the new one, not yet, but usually it takes me much of the week.
but these once a months are leaving me way short on keys for anything else.

Super duper easy to miss…

… but this is the hands down best lore snippet I’ve seen in the game in quite awhile. It even goes so far to allude to his color selection as well and the pretenses behind the troop’s traits and skills.

Very well done, IMO.

10 Likes

Lots of Glory Keys, Glory, Gem Keys, Guild Seals and still I don’t have Ziplock… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

A shame there is no space left to include how much better Taloca is.
But jokes aside: I agree, this is a neat piece of information that in my opinion could become a part of the troop’s menu by just add a little button and it displays some pieces of lore for those who want to read it.

4 Likes

Since it’s in the game, they should really consider including such lore in the photo-mode thing each troop got a few updates back. Would be cool :+1:

4 Likes

And very Metal.

Does it mention why the 3rd trait wants to use Yellow?

All you had to do was click/tap the screengrab I posted?

But, yes, it does. The trait does what it does strictly for lore reasons.

Ziopochtli is essentially the bringer of night to Krystara. Every day he kills Phoenix (the sun) to bring nightfall. (which in turn implies that the resurrection of Phoenix bringing the next day). Hence the name of his third ability “Dawn Slayer” and why it activates on yellow (he’s killing the sun).

3 Likes

I guess his trait could be interpreted as using the power of dawn/light, rather than slaying it, though, since matching Yellow is a good thing for him.

His spell is a little more clear cut in the sense that it’s boosted off Purple Gems (“… the dark night…”).

To truly slay the dawn, perhaps an alternative trait could be to destroy (all? an equal number of?) Yellow Gems when matching them or Purple or similar, and dealing a proportionate amount of damage (or damage to Yellow troops, although I wouldn’t like such a narrow focus for him myself… see Undine). Or work that into his spell. Obvs just academic at this point.

Essentially, if you wanted to make the most of his trait, you’d be trying to flood the board with Yellow, which is the exact opposite of slaying the dawn and bringing the dark night. So I don’t think Idle is without a point.

I guess I can see that your point is that matching Yellow is kind of like destroying/removing those Gems from the board…

But… I just don’t think it’s quite right, tbh, and I think that’s because countless games of matching the colour of gem you want to use for yourself have trained me otherwise.

And I guess by the by, the Phoenix (Sunbird? or in any mythology) is all about fire and Red Gems, not Yellow ones. Is something going to change in the future…? Maybe someone heard all the complaints about Phoenicia not meshing with the Kingdom’s class, and decided to start reworking things… :stuck_out_tongue:

I too read this when it popped up, AFTER I had gotten the troop, and I enjoyed it immensely. I love the lore behind troops, the “why” things are the way they are designed. This was fantastic.

Change it to Night Bringer and make it trigger on purple. Thank you.

1 Like

I think Mithran’s point was that the 12-skull part is likelier to backfire on that Stryx team because it has no other way of generating skulls. This is true of most Zilopochtli teams, I would think (unlike Umenath, who has synergy with both Sekhma and Ishbaala).

Has anyone found a team that can make Zilo’s skull generation not be a consistent liability/risk?

I’d suggest trying the team when you get the chance. It doesn’t backfire in the sense where you miss completely so much as it doesn’t get a meaty hit every time. Sometimes you take 1 and give 1-2 hits.

The skull issues are mitigated by gaining 8 to all stats on every 4/5 gem match (which the Nimbus Bow will gladly oblige) and Stoneskin. Those Finesse become skull bashing monsters after a few of those matches (and do double skull damage to yellow troops for added insult).

Its a very safe team to use in Explore 12, which shows how little I care when it misses on the skull creation. Its just not the fastest team possible. (I’d say the average is 50 seconds +/- 5 seconds.)

None of the 12 skull creators are actually all that reliable no matter how dressed up the board is with skulls. Even Tomb Robber’s 14 cast misses frequently.

Zuu’l Goth creates 12 skulls on cast and yet its not being suggested to wait for a converter to fix a board before casting. Zilo/Umenath function in basically the same way and I don’t see an issue with that other than I’m ready if it doesn’t always work.

1 Like

Interesting. It sounds like the 12-skull generation is tentatively a net positive for the troop (and the team), and not a net negative as I had suspected.

Agreed re: the skull generator troops in general, hence I avoid using them in most circumstances.

Just to give you something relative to consider, Elemaugrim loops used to be 12 purple and Yasmine loops on 10.

True, but the consequences of miscasting are usually less when gem creators misfire. Misfiring with YC or Flammifer seldom results in 2 dead troops, the way skull miscasts can.

EDIT: And plus, if you aren’t putting skulls on the board somehow, they tend to be less common than colored gems, making it less likely that you’ll get an extra turn on cast.

“combo breaker” is still a thing. Skulls can be replaced with other skulls.

I really wish the 3rd trait to be Darkstorm every turn, like skadi’s icestorm.

Or at least chaos storm every turn .

Spoiler alert:

The next mythic 3rd trait gonna be

100% chance for skull damage to ignore armor

So hold out, and save your keys.

I only got him purely out of luck from 1000 glory = 50 chests.

How do you get a mythic troop [rhetorical question ] , haven’t seen one in any keys etc for months. Oh the forge, yeah that takes months too, oh what a joy this game is.