4.7.5 Update

Then its a different story, I’m pretty sure we can agree on the above …

Basically my original post was venting. Because I’ve never heard of the “time” being an issue for Chaos orbs. And was shocked to read that time was spent fixing an issue that doesn’t even qualify as a minor issue at best. More a sub minor issue. If an individual doesn’t see what orbs they received it has nothing to do with timing. Either they are clicking too fast or simply got distracted.

3 Likes

Maybe they know we have mountains of the things and can’t tell what we got anymore. But if they know then … ugh …

1 Like

I know it seems trivial but players clicking through orbs of chaos really wasn’t a trivial issue at all, we receive a lot of requests about missing orbs that aren’t missing due to this which means while we are checking the logs to tell the players what they received we’re not spending time working on other things.

It ends up being frustrating for the players who think they missed out on an Orb and time consuming for us to explain they didn’t miss their rewards.

The more time we can save on “trivial” things like that the more time we can spend handling bigger issues/tasks and hopefully have less people frustrated by something like that :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Exactly what kafka said! Even though some of you may not have been affected, doesn’t mean others weren’t. This is a common request that eats into our support time, and if we could implement an easy fix we didn’t see the harm in doing so. With less tickets of this nature coming in, our team can get through more, and focus on the bigger picture.

9 Likes

I’d (still) really like to know this as well.

Let a→f be the chance for each of the six mana colours to fall, ignoring skulls/doomskulls (a separate question that I’d be interested in!).

I’m pretty sure we can assume a→f are initially all equal; let’s call that initial chance X%.

An ‘a’-coloured storm appears!

• a ↑ to Y%

• b→f ↓ proportionally to Z% each.

Now.

An ‘a’/‘b’-coloured storm appears!

• a and b are obviously going to increase

• c→f are also going to decrease

The question is by how much?

Will c→f still be reduced by the normal amount expected in a storm, making
a + b = Y% + Z%, and
a = b = (Y% + Z%) / 2?

Or perhaps will b increase to Y% as well, reducing the chance of c→f even further?

Or will there perhaps be a separate function that switches the storm from one colour to another in any given moment, essentially producing the first option but with theoretically more clumping of gems per cascade?

@Saltypatra @Sirrian please and thank you :stuck_out_tongue:.

3 Likes

Regardless… I’m certain it’ll work more in favor of the AI than the player.
The AI will get Cascades causing extra turns.
Where as the player will be blocked from an extra turn cascade due to the dual storm.
Similar to how the “Doom Storm” very rarely results in extra turn of skull Cascades. But if you clear the board during it. The AI will certainly have at least one skull match to make you wish you weren’t using Doom Storm.
That’s the only storm that had to be adjusted after initial release and therefore works against the player. Every other storm seems to work fairly for both sides.
I’m almost positive that dual storms will work more like the former rather than the latter.

Err, my experience begs to differ.

Wrath
Writing Staff
Scylla
Mercy

Guardian Banner.

This is my Go-to team for Dungeons and Pet Hunts for example, where I’ve frequently had Skull Cascades.

I’ve even, on a small number of games, had a one move victory where I’ve cast Mercy and then repeated Skulls wipe out the opposition.

2 Likes

Because you’re citing a skull storm (Bone Storm) , not a Doom Storm.

2 Likes

“The AI cheats” is an eternal complaint because GoW as a game is neither fair nor strategic for the most part.

We can bicker about narrow contexts where it is, but by and large I think most experienced players realize the most powerful teams have either “massive generators” or “loopers”. These teams tilt towards luck-based play, and since GoW wants a player willing to grind for hours at a time they win fast and tilt more towards hitting than missing.

That also means the team is set up to groom the board for higher chances of hits, using things like alternate generators and storms to set up more favorable conditions more of the time.

That also means the enemy teams you face want to use that strategy too. There are probably fewer effective defensive strategies than offensive strategies, since it’s PvE rather than PvP.

All of that combines to mean if your looping team loses, it’s probably because:

• You groomed the board and the opponent cast a generator that benefited from it.
  • You cast a generator but it didn’t “hit”.

In either case, the opponent gets a lot of free turns. Even if they don’t really do a lot with them, it’s not fun to sit and watch them play out extra turns while you’re defenseless. And if they do destroy you, you feel cheated since you didn’t have a chance to respond.

I’ve said it for years: extra turns, generators, and converters are the villain here. They make the game fast and explosive, but they make every loss feel worse than it would in a strategic, turn-based game.

1 Like

Please consider giving Growth Orbs class exp or some kind of use. I just spent a bunch of gems and got 3 minor growth and 2 major from the bounty. Not only did I waste my time, I actually hampered my progression in the game by wasting all those gems. It is devastating and makes me not want to play.

8 Likes

Oh. Ok, I got them mixed up.

2 Likes

All this growth orb hate is making me laugh. I am actually blocked on 2 accounts from getting zul by many major growth orbs. I have plenty of the others but not enough major growth.

Either you are extremely lucky, or trolling.

Growth orbs do need 20 to make a major, but drop far more frequently that crafting would still be quite easy. You also get one guaranteed major growth each Raid, invasion, and doom.

Even if you use them instead of souls, I highly doubt that your are “blocked”.

I hope it is just luck, but understand the drop rate and ongoing use of growth orbs is horribly lacking.

3 Likes

Is it possible that the 4.7.5 update affected the forums? I wouldn’t think so, but I haven’t been able to connect to the website via my laptop…I keep getting a “safari is unable to establish a secure connection to gemsofwar.com” msg. (i tried the forums, refreshing from past history, the home page and searchin and connecting that way). My xbox has no such problem, perhaps because it’s not on wifi…

Little help, please. I’m not the brightest. Maybe if i can disable security settings…Thx

Are you sure that’s the message? gow.com has nothing to do with gems of war, you should be trying to get to gemsofwar.com

1 Like

Sorry, I abbreviated, I’ll edit. I just never had this issue before update. And I can access other pages, including bank info, email, etc. Just not gems.

Have you tried clearing cookies/cache?

I brought it up in the Switch thread, but I thought I should point out for everyone’s sake, this appears to not be the case. The special adventure today has replaced the rightmost adventure slot.

How do I know this? Switch usually gets the same three tasks as all the other platforms. But we don’t have special adventure tasks yet, and our third task today, the one that’s missing from the other platforms, is ultra-rare and is in the rightmost slot. This means there’s a risk of epic/legendary/mythic tasks being replaced in the future.

@Saltypatra would you be able to investigate whether this is a bug or the intended behaviour?

4 Likes

On adventure task days, it looks like the devs manually pick all three tasks. The common and ultra-rare gem task today I do not believe was random. So we non-switch players got 100 + 10 + 25 gems today.

2 Likes