3.2 Patch Notes

“Glad I invested 2 years of my life playing this game…”

This is a game, its supposed to be entertaining not generate 6% ROI for retirement.

If you enjoyed it for 2 years great, you had fun.

If you think the UI was designed by a color blind drunken sailor on leave that loves bright green buttons. Express you concerns and decide if it’s still entertaining…

1 Like

Yea the color of your name icon reminds me of that bright green button. Just add another foot in width and there it is. In all of its awesomeness. Lol

They posted in the suggestion thread how the patched “fixes” next week will look like. Board is “more opaque” (but not fully, from what’s seen on the screenshot). Text is still borderless and white, icons still white. Text just got a more solid (but not totally solid) black background, meaning everything is even more black.
Just give up, man. They might listen to things that cause health issues, but anything design-wise is apparently fixed. From now on you’re playing a goth game with radioactive green buttons and white, cheap font that causes headaches now. Get used to it. And to the fact that everything is blurry because there are no borders anywhere.

2 Likes

? Link Please

1 Like

Sure, here you go.
https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/3-2-feedback-and-suggestions/31734/389

2 Likes

Was Wisp available for refund?
I can’t find it anymore: Crafting menu - Disenchant.

Strat you have to remember something though, he has a very valid point…

because these games nowadays are not ‘pac-man’ or stuff like that, they’re heavily developed games with the idea that the time you invest in ‘equals’ a better gameplay experience over time, meaning you invest time in the beginning, learning the ins and outs, build up your troops/army/guy whatever, then you feel like you accomplished something and proceed to enjoy it even more as you explore new gameplay teams, types, units etc

This is an online game meant to be ‘on-going’, if it had a ‘dead-line’ of 2 years it should’ve been sold for 20 bucks with it’s own demise built-in, but it was and is touted as one of those ongoing online games Berthorius has every right to express his disdain at the situation…

LOL, your reply to that was hilarious, cause it’s hard to tell if you’re ‘defending’ the game or pointing out how hopeless the situation is LOL,

and yeah it’s a hack job for sure lol…

1 Like

Nah, I’m not defending anymore. Not since it’s clear they’re not giving us a color theme nicer for the eyes and especially since they aren’t fixing the auto-sidescrolling thing and with that, my previous post about them correcting health issues was, obviously, just another false hope.

I’m out of the game now, really. I refuse to endanger my health for a company which doesn’t care about health issues of their players (otherwise they wouldn’t leave half of them in) and for characters I just can’t care anymore about since they were now grossly disfigured into tiny images with trait symbols covering their faces and sci-fi borders. There’s no more hope, man. It’s over and I’m out.

5 Likes

lol, as disheartening as it is to agree, you said it well…

there’s too many to count that have given up hope recently, lol…

1 Like

I’m curious, is the home kingdom rewards glitched?

The ui does look like garbage, there’s no getting around it and no reason to lie or sugar coat it. There is no salvaging the looks of the new ui, in my opinion.

They literally need to revert it back to the old style and add more features to it rather than turn the game into this modern futuristic crap rather than the fantasy easy to look at style they had going on before.

Every single screen looked better before, even if it functions better now in some ways and on some screens.

The in battle screen is the worst, though. Everything is all clumped together on the one side. You can’t see the magic stat. The modern style really hits you over the head here. If they reverted this one screen then you could hide from the new style in battles at least.

I was going to download the game again and play it because I was missing it. Then the patch came and I thought “perfect timing” and now I wish I hadn’t quit so that I could quit now because then I would have gotten more time out of the game, since I won’t be coming back now or ever with ui like that. Ui is the most important aspect other than gameplay itself, and it’s make or break for me.

But I keep checking updates because I still care about the game and want it to improve but every patch sends it in a direction I dislike more and more. Which really saddens and disheartens me.

7 Likes

The problem aren’t the people who give up hope - the problem are the people who give up hope but keep playing. The devs said that real changes will only be made if active players (well, I suppose it mainly refers to cashing active players) drop noticeably. As long as that’s not the case, nothing will change. Just complaining won’t do a thing, giving up and keeping playing won’t do a thing because actions speak always louder and cash speaks the loudest.

Between Microsoft, Google, Sony and Apple loving the patch (and there being hints that they are the ones behind it) and the devs never answering questions that were asked again and again (‘Why abandon the fantasy theme, the core of your game’?) as well as admitting that some people can be/are sensitive to contrasting colors but not willing to change them, we have, at this point, to assume that the devs are just the henchmen of the big companies. It’s quite likely that they can’t do what they want with their game anymore - they partially even admitted that, as in that they had to push out an incomplete UI and all that because of a deadline they had been given.

So yeah, I’m not even mad with them. There’s the chance they’re just as helpless as us… or just gave in to the money temptation. Whatever. At any rate, as even the big companies will have to admit things suck when players stop cashing and start quitting, that’s exactly what I am doing (or more did, today was the last GW day after all). I doubt it will change anything since I assume that maybe 10% will quit, 90% will stay and adjust despite complaining and give up and 10% will be new players coming in from the birthday thing, Merlantis and whatever. And if you never knew the old UI, you have no reason to complain. Basically, nothing will change unless people turn out to be more awesome than I give them credit for and actually DO quit en masse. But I’m too pessimistic to believe in that.

4 Likes

EXACTLY - THIS!!

They dodge that freakin question like it’s the plague incarnate (!!!)

What in the world is the ‘redeeming “feature”’ of changing the actual aesthetic of the game??

All answers you (if you’re lucky) get about the ‘new UI’ is ‘more functionatlity’, but that’s -NOT- the actual question!!

The actual ‘question’ is the – Aesthetics – of it, meaning the functionality same or otherwise is still beholden to the ‘look’, the ‘feel’ of the game, nobody has yet answer that.

So not only is the UI trash to look at, but the repeated question over and over as to ‘why’ it was done that way, it totally ignored.

That’s always been the big question to me, and still bothers me to this moment, " Who in their right mind wanted to change the games aesthetics to this?? "

If the devs don’t give us a serious ‘answer’ to this (and not some mumbo-jumbo about ‘clutter reduction’ etc, like I was given in global chat by Salty…), then this is all nonsense.

Basically (yes, I hate to say this), it’s like all the other forms of ‘art’ in the world today, … All been changed to trash to dumb down and confuse people,
so you don’t know what’s ‘good or bad’ beautiful or ugly etc…

5 million dollar paintings of poop and squiggles are being sold in art galleries while all the real art is quickly being forgotten lost to history…

You basically have to seek out things worth investing your time/effort in, don’t wait for the ‘machine’ to give it to you…
they seem to only want to turn everything into trash garbage…

2 Likes

I keep looking at the screens and shaking my head. What used to be beautiful and appealing to the eye and screamed “gems of war” now is a generic bland and boring black and white ui that looks like any other cheap f2p app. I just really don’t understand. It looks like someone’s every first attempt at making ui. I could mess around in photoshop with the same results and I’m horrible at it, because most screens are just a simple paint bucket fill or gradient with white text.

The text is so hard to read. The whole thing gives me a headache, just like many others have said.

The home screen makes no sense not showing the exact number of stars your kingdom has…

Edit: they could have just saved money by polishing up their old ui and adding more features to it (more information available) and not spent any money on a horrible new ui style that pretty much everyone hates. Created so much work to fix bugs accompanied with a new ui, and unnecessary costs to make the game worse. It astounds me that a single person could find this new ui enjoyable to look at.

3 Likes

Oh no don’t kid yourself, besides seeing countless people leave the last few days in global chat, you got the obvious forum posters, but if you check steam it’s nothing but one post after another talking about how horrendous the UI is and it basically makes the game unplayable, it’s just impossible to take seriously in any given shape, way or form. (the game doesn’t know what it’s trying to ‘be’ …)

Both new and older players.

Mind you considering it is steam you might have a point because steam doesn’t seem to be it’s biggest player base.

Who knows but basically it’s bad, even Salty in the chat just now, when I asked clearly if they could tell me if the icons were ‘permanent or a placeholder for future icons’ said this, pretty much quoting, “As far as I know they’re supposed to be permanent, but that might change in the future”

lol… yep, that was the answer.

It goes without saying , they ‘wanted’ it to be permanent, but obviously the backlash is so bad that they might actually have to reconsider and change them later, if they expect anyone now, or in the future, to take the game seriously…

" And if you never knew the old UI, you have no reason to complain. "

And there, you hit on the head on how society and worlds are run, people can be degraded into anything (sub-standard existence that only benefits a few that ‘feed’ off them) as long as every succeeding generation doesn’t know what they’re ‘missing’.

If you don’t know what you don’t have, you wont fight for it…

" Basically, nothing will change unless people turn out to be more awesome than I give them credit for and actually DO quit en masse. But I’m too pessimistic to believe in that. "

And yes, there you go, that’s why every day more and more people join the ‘Illuminati’ and become a ‘henchmen’ of the elite, because as they see things, the majority are hopeless… find it easier to ‘coast’ then to fight for something (even if it means ‘quitting’, not spending money, etc as you said), and the few ‘schemer’ types shrug and say, "eh?.. well if the majority will never resist, might as well find new and improved ways to capitalize off them… "

hmm

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly. Even people like Lyya couldn’t explain it.

Let’s summarize things:

• Questions about fantasy aspect/aesthetics get dodged. It was said that the character art should shine “more” with less border, but why make the image smaller and put the trait symbols on the troops’ faces then!?
  • The devs admitted that people are sensitive to high-contrast colors and don’t change colors. Neither the black back to blue nor the neon-green to a duller hue. There was also no explanation for the colors given. Like, if you want to make the “modern” round buttons and text, why not make them in the old colors which were not-painful to the eyes? I rather have bland boxes I can look at than bland boxes giving me a migraine, thank you.
  • Adding to that: Everyone asked to at least border the ugly font. Instead, they decided to make the background less transparent so that the numbers on the troops could be better seen. Yes, people asked for less black and contrast and are getting MORE of it with the next patch. Health issue fix is more like trying to fix one health issue by making another more prominent.
  • Auto-sidescrolling is not getting removed despite being nausea-inducing. Health issues are really being ignored.
  • While an explanation for partial UI rollout was given (are you looking forward to the options, guilds and PVP menu being revamped soon, huh?), there was no explanation for the art choice of the currency and items. These things are now 3D, with the troop art being traditional. It looks like two different artists created this game now. Nothing fits together anymore and no one can tell me that this was a deliberate choice. This is either the weirdest revamp ever or… well, guess you guys might get a troop art revamp maybe?

But yes, I feel like these things need to be answered. Literally the only reason I’m still here is because I want to see an answer to them since it makes no sense. Why do the devs dodge these questions? Why only fix some health issues while making others worse or ignoring them? I thought about posting these questions in a separate topic, but then again… it’s likely someone of the devs saw them somewhere already, given that they were asked a thousand times already. So I’m just… not understand it. I just don’t. And quite frankly, this hurts me almost more than the new UI. That I have to give up the game I loved the most and I don’t even know why. I could live with “Sorry, Google made us do it” or “Sorry, we don’t want this to be fantasy anymore” or “We want bright colors because we love contrast and radioactive green and Arial and gothic UIs”. Any answer is better than no answer because it hurts to be hurt without reason.

4 Likes

Steam actually showed 800-900 people playing after the UI update and since Merlantis 1000+ people. The admins thought this through. New kingdom and birthday events bring more people to make more than up for the quitting ones.

• Exactly
  • Exactly
  • Exactly (as in they do something ridiculous then band-aid it but not actually address the problem)
  • Exactly Exactly Exactly
  • I cannot include enough ’ Exactlys ’ to this …

Searching for answers in these forums have become far more ‘addictive’ than playing Gems was, (mind you the update obviously pushed you away anyways…)

Is anyone that (however few) ‘attacks’ my posts reading this?

The guy is nailing it, I stated it too but probably too verbose in my ‘wall-o-text’ posts, but basically what’s the reasoning behind why your game got screwed?

It’s a tangible distress and some people want to know…

LOL, guys, give this guy a clap, , thank you someone is saying what countless people must be feeling (and wondering…)

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is ‘before’ or ‘after’ the guy that showed the actual stats, but yeah obviously there was a huge influx when the kingdom came, but (again not sure if you included the guys post that showed the actual numbers), but an even bigger chunk left after a day or two.

People dropping ‘in’ to try out some new gimmick in any game don’t count as actual ‘players’ , it’s the people that stay and play that are actually players.

So yeah if you haven’t seen that guys post check it out, basically it shows a big spike, then all the sudden it starts dropping off massively, like half the player base gone in a week or two.

It was almost painful to look at (lol), but then Sirrian stated his case rather eloquently, with ‘well steam isn’t the player base we’re focusing on’…

From there it became apparent mobile was their big target audience…

etc

(I still log in too, but rest assured I’m barely playing anything lol, there are tons of people doing the same thing…)

(by the way, wanted to add to any ‘new’ type of gamers, this type of low-grade psy-op has been done and refuted a while ago, it used to be mmos would inflate their numbers by pointing out how many new xyz number of players would ‘play’ their mmo etc (to try to reduce the number of already playing people from dropping, by giving them bogus numbers to be ‘hopeful’ for), anyways it was quickly understood that there was a big difference between ‘new’ players, and actual ‘retained’ players (that play daily etc).

On top of that other things were noted, even a huge chunk (over half sometimes) of the ‘daily’ players weren’t even playing, they were just logging in to get their ‘dailies’, the rewards you get simply for logging in etc.

Nowadays games are notorious for having people log in, get daily rewards, and then leave, simply because they think to themselves that ‘one day’ they might play the game again, (once whatever update comes in, whatever bug is fixed, etc), but until then still don’t want to lose the benefits of daily log-ins.

It continues from there because how many people used to actually ‘play’ like 20-30 minutes a day, but might only play a match or two now?..

etc… please keep all this in mind folks,

cool…

2 Likes