3.2 Patch Notes

Yeah, I’m just… distressed. I am basically grieving at this point. You know, it’s like someone close to you or your pet is found dead or hurt and you don’t know what happened and just can’t find peace until you know who did it and why and what exactly happened. I mean, games I played were shut down before, which made me sad, but I could cope because it was just… over. But this game still exists but not in a playable way for me (health-wise and emotion-wise) anymore. I keep sticking around here because of the unanswered questions but also because I know the game keeps going on, things happen, storylines get added which I now miss and it’s like I was watching an awesome movie based on a true event and halfway through the movie, just when you were rooting with the protagonists the most, it suddenly gets stopped and the rest is shown as a horrible documentary movie with a few crappy black and white photos and drawings. Or something like that. I feel robbed of something that isn’t actually gone and I need at least some answers why for closure.

Also I think if people just keep logging in, that’s already too much. Sirrian quoted that the amount of “daily players” has risen, so that doesn’t say anything about how long someone played, just how many logged in. Just checking is already harming our cause.

And, totally unimportant thing: I’m not a dude, I’m a girl. :wink: (Guys usually don’t have bunny baby avatars I think hahaha) But I’m glad you are agreeing with me! That makes me think again that these questions should maybe be raised in such compiled form in an extra thread again, but I don’t dare to make another because I made a lot of threads and comments already and feel like I would get ignored at this point because it’s me and I’m disagreeable and stuff.

2 Likes
  • This ^^

Exactly, it’s a combination of that logical “What the heck happened?? Why??” -along with- that painful inner ‘AWWWwwww MmaaaAAANNN’ that gnaws at your inside lol, it’s just so painful to look at you’re wondering how is it all possible?..

In fact!! This has happened to a game I thought was super awesome, Spartacus Legends, it was so good I told myself, “well I can’t play it right now, I want to really get into it, so I’ll do my stuff and come back later when I’m ready to handle the awesomeness…”

And you know what? I come back (gone over 8 months), and I kid you not, not even a few days in it’s like, “Sorry guys, but Spartacus is going to shut down soon”… LOL WHAT???

Couldn’t believe it, here’s the thing, game was doing -great-, tons of people (myself and others) were putting money into it, having fun (before I took that break), etc knew tons playing it on my friends list…

and yeah, they shut it down… Why?.. nobody knows… we were never given any legitimate reason.

This smacks of the same thing, you just get hit outside the head for no reason, and then you’re expected to just sit there and take it…

My thoughts and sentiments exactly, why I ‘hang around’ these threads wondering if anybody will give a proper answer soon…

That actually makes sense, you’re articulating your thoughts and feeling better than most guys would, usually putting feelings into words is a more feminine aspect of people lol…

But yeah, it’s interesting to note Sheba (and a few others) are articulating what so many feel, but instead of joining forums and writing posts, they just go in Global Chat and go, “Man! What is this Sh-t!!?? This for real? That’s it I’m Done I’m leaving bye guys” lol!!

sad, funny, but true…

lol…

1 Like

I had it with a game called Chains of Darkness basically at the same time last year, but that one I had at least played for many months. My problem with GoW is likely also that I had so much left to do. I only played eleven weeks but, according to Steam, 361 hours. That’s 4,6 hours a day (and also why I have so much free time to hang out here now…). No one can tell me I wasn’t passionate about the game. And yeah, I spent money. But there was so much left to do. I didn’t have a single “true” mythic, just some ascended event troops at that level through the chests. And what had brought me to the game was a troop image I found randomly on google when doing research for a novel and immediately I wanted to make a knight team. But I never got Ysabelle or Khorvash. I so wanted these two, more than I wanted any mythic! But it was not meant to be and now I feel like it was all for nothing. I was shown awesome characters, I had so much fun, I had a horrible surgery and this game helped me cope and now it was taken away from me before I could reach even one of my ingame goals. They could have replaced all the troops with stick figure drawings, that’s how lifeless they are now. I don’t even want any of those troops anymore… it all lost its meaning with that stupid update. I actually think I could have lived with the black background if only they hadn’t changed troop borders and board since the troops are the core part.

Okay, enough ranting now. It’s 5:30am here in Germany and it shows in my posts. =/

=P Nah, it’s just I’m not a native English speaker and also a novel writer so I am a) wordy and b) have to find ways to describe things even when lacking vocabulary.

Not that it matters. It’s not like I get answers any more than the guys just complaining rudely. No one gets answers here.

2 Likes

Exactly, someone tried to ‘mock’ a post by Berthorius in this or another similar thread, Berth mentioned “Thanks Gems for my 2 years invested” (since now he can’t play anymore realistically with this update), anyways the person tried to mock Berth as if, “So what was 2 years? who cares?”… but he missed the point, the point was Berth invested time in a game that has so many options and things left to explore and do, never mind the ongoing expansions etc

This is the type of game you want to try so many things in, different teams, different setups, etc. And if it has to be said, every ‘dollar’ invested in that, is just that, an investment, so you can play more later on.

If a game all the sudden ‘changes’ on you it’s like ‘wtf??’ You lose the attraction you had for it, and look back and wish you would’ve ‘known’ or you wouldn’t have put in the time and effort (and dollars).

In fact, I hate to bring in an analogy here, but who hasn’t heard the ol’, "Well my ex-father/ex-boyfriend
WAS nice to me, when I first MET him, but then he ‘Changed’ and became mean and bad! I wish I would’ve known he would’ve been like that I never would have married/dated him for all those years !!11 " etc etc

Cheesy as it sounds you all know that’s how it is, this all feels like a ‘betrayal’ to the long time gamers…

Yeah, I think the devs (or the people ‘controlling’ the devs) forget how important gaming can be to certain groups of people, I myself find it’s the perfect ‘tie-in’ between the hustle of the day to the relaxing quiet of the night, when I do ‘research’ and read and listen and watch videos etc.

Tons of people can agree Gems was that light-hearted yet semi-realistic fantasy realm that settled them down for the night, a peaceful place to go to to calm yourself down.

With these changes, it’s become some sort of frankenstein that doesn’t really accomplish anything for the gamer. It’s too ‘edgy’ to be relaxing and too simplistic in those dreadful icons to have any artistic merit.

To be ‘fair’ (lol…) to the devs Salty mentioned to me today that supposedly they (she?) is going to touch upon a lot of this in a ‘stream’ she’s going to be having in a few weeks.

If that helps any, lol…

2 Likes

At the very least… I would have liked to say ‘goodbye’. I would have wanted - and feel like I deserved - a warning this was going to happen. Yes, we had the new design in the forge and dungeon and I was very confused why things looked so different there, but I didn’t give it much thought. For that, I guess I didn’t play long enough. But I literally played half an hour on Monday, went to cook dinner, looked forward to basically play for two or three hours afterwards, loaded the game… and everything was over. Not like someone dying from an illness so you can say what you still want to say and wrap things up and make peace. Just boom, deadly car accident, so much left unsaid, just ripped away from you, you have no chance of closure.

And yeah, I also don’t like mocking people, no matter how long they played. A game is successful if people get invested in it. That’s the people who stay and bring in money. The people who care are the ones the devs want. And those are the ones suffering now. Because we care. We are annoying and complain not because we’re mean people who want to hate, but because we love(d) this game! And that’s why we deserve better than being left with no answers.

On a personal note: As someone who writes novels, I had basically started caring so much because I had given all the troops personalities in my head. That happens automatically to me with every game character I like or care about, no matter if they’re protagonist or random monster encounter without a single line of text. As a novelist, all characters - my own or those from other people’s works - are like children to me and I get very, very attached. I feel like someone shot all my ‘children’ in this game dead. That’s why I have such problems coping.

And yes, it’s a betrayal, you’re right. Especially because it was just slapped in our faces. No beta testing, no announcement. Like being backstabbed with an immensely rusty, ugly dagger.

My computer can’t handle streams, sadly. =( And a few weeks are a long time away, the majority of the storm will have blown over by then - actually, feels like it happened already, with by now mainly guilds trying to find new members (since people quit) now overrunning the forums here instead of people keeping at it and asking the questions that need answers. Pretty clever again, really. Avoid the questions until people have adjusted and another change becomes unwanted, for people always dislike changes (at first), even those for the better.

Anyway, I gotta sleep now - 6am, I was up all night on these boards since timezones suck. I’ll be back tomorrow, though, looking for answers and replying to stuff. =)

1 Like

LOL!!!

I can FEEL the PAIN LOL!!!

wow that …what’s the word, ‘elucidation’ (sp?? lol) was so good!! lol

lol that’s actually a good point I wanted to mention earlier, what seems to have happened (part of my guess, conclusion to this) is that the ‘Big Publishers’ compiled their data sets and came to the conclusion that after 2.5 years games tend to ‘die-off’ as new ones are released, and they probably figured most games need a ‘squeeze’ before their ‘final fall’ to get that every last drop they can from players, before the majority leave or something.
(You see this so many times on steam, I think it’s become ‘standard’ in gaming development.)

But for Gems I think the scenario is different, because Gems has that ‘timeless’ match-3 mechanic that would be fun for 100 years, – as long as the game didn’t get trashed in another way. –

Basically I’m saying just like you, I play(ed) it lots because I didn’t have a great computer (became emf (electromagnetic field/frequency) sensitized after putting in a new power supply for a new video card.
Felt like my head was cracking open every time I turned the thing on.

Had to quit my xbox 360 and any other major electronics, for over 3 years.)

Anyways, point is on all the lame laptops I was able to use, it was this game I wanted to play.

The ‘big publishers’ don’t realize how many people with lame computers can’t be bothered to play any other ‘fancy’ game (since they can’t run it), and they go back to this for their gaming ‘fix’, however small and short it might be.

Big mistake to do what they did, but you all know that don’t need me saying it for the 10th time , lol…

(and no, wrapping my desktops in foil, making foil ‘helmets’ etc didn’t work, magnetic fields go right through that…)

I swear this community hates any change. I hope I’m not in the minority here but I really like the new UI, it looks fresh and modern and I think it is more likely to make new players stay than the old style; I just worry about the old timers staying…
All in all though, good job!

2 Likes

def minority br0,atleast on forums and players that use global chat ingame xD

2 Likes

Not everyone has time and ease and mastery of the language and right timezone enough to watch a stream “in a few weeks”. In the meantime devs and PR are egregious for their absence, leaving Liya and occasionally Oz to keep the fort.

And the Black Bands of Mourning across the image. Now with more black!

The only explanation coming to my mind is that this is an all purpose interface ready to be customized for new, slighty different games, think “GOW in Space” or “Cyberpunk GOW” where the quality of the imagery is going to be less important. Our GOW - and us - being the lab rat for polishing this turd to shininess.

3 Likes

Please bring back the filters by trait and ability as they were. Hell, bring back the whole sorting screen as it was. Yes you have a text block now for filters. It’s not very friendly on consoles to type in words, never mind the fact that you now need to know what word to write in instead of browsing a list of types of spells and see what options you have and decide what could work for you. I no longer have any desire to build new decks because of this change. It was easy before. Simple to select a trait or a spell that I wanted to add in a deck. Now it’s a painful tedious chore. No, I won’t look at 250 cards to find the one that would best fit in my deck. These were the 2 most useful filters you had. They were the 2 you removed. Go figure.

Please bring back the ability to view cards details when opening boxes. We used to be able to browse list of cards from opening boxes, select a card, and view its abilities and stats. Now if I open a box and get a new card, I can’t do that. I have to exit the list, go back to my card vault, and search for the new card. It’s a huge pain in the ass compared to what it was. Now if I get a new card, I really no longer care to look for it and see what it does. Combine that with my first complaint, new cards mean absolutely nothing to me. I won’t bother to look for them, I won’t view them, I won’t try them, I won’t care to get them. Before, when I could immediately see its abilities and traits upon opening a box, I would be able to see right away how that card would be useful to me. Now that is gone.

And finally as many others have said, UI is awful now. It was infinitely better before this patch.

Very unhappy with this patch.

One last thing, am I the only one who thinks the treasure hunt isn’t worth playing? Seriously, I’ve done matches of 30 moves, and others of 80 moves, and in either case, the rewards were very comparable. I really don’t see the point of going on for as long as possible. The rewards for bigger chests are not worth the time spent. Yea, maaaaaaaybe you get a rare traitstone. Maaaaaaaybe you’ll get gem keys. Very unlikely still. At least if you could have the gold keep accumulating with the bigger chests, it would be worth it. but as it is now, I tend to want to end the hunt as quickly as possible. 20 moves, 60 moves, similar rewards. Not worth it.

There, that’s my rant. Thanks for considering.

2 Likes

This will be of great help to you: http://gowdb.com/